Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks for the quick (as always) reply Marc. Maybe an "AOL Account" wouldn't be overly unfeasible! Could you perhaps quickly put out a relatively basic beta version to see if at least it has potential??? Maybe it's not as altogether complicated as it appears. (There are after all many of us AOL'ers stranded out here who would jump on such a version of Chatter. And surely you're as savvy and creative as the Snapper, Mailwave, and Consilient guys!)

-Ken
    Last edited by kenk63; 04/06/2005 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
  2.    #42  
    I'm pretty sure I'm covered on the savvy/creative side; the problem is that there are a bunch of people working on each of those products, and just me on this one...

Marc
    You Can Do It!
    Marc- Perhaps it would be worth taking some kind of poll to see if it is actually worth your while to create an AOL version? In my opinion, I would rather see continued refinment and innovation of the current product (read: I don't use AOL). However, if there are many people interested in it maybe it could be worthwhile to create the version from a financial perspective....which is what's really important!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
  5.    #45  
    02 - I don't know that the financial side is what's most important, but I do agree that it would be interesting to know how many people really need this. I guess we could put a poll up here and see what people think.

Marc
    Good thought 02 (about the poll). Although even without any official poll, it seems at least 4 or 5 people in this forum alone (and in the past 2 weeks alone) have expressed definite interest in being able to access AOL via Chatter, no Marc? Could you try it???

-Ken
    Actually a poll of current users might not discover much about the potential market. But my guess is that there's little crossover between people who rely on AOL for their email (as distinct from IM and other useful AOL features) and people who have Treo's. Given that Chatter has only one developer, I would rather those resources go into stability, performance, and features, in that order. And even in the best of programs, the third is the enemy of the other two.
    Just so you know Marc I would pay for a plugin for an implementation of OpenPGP to allow encrypting of emails, currently the only solution is PGPmobile it it hasnt been updated in like 2 years..I can get it too work but it sucks, PGP says they won't be updating it.
    http://www.pgp.com/products/mobile/palm/index.html

As far as I know OpenPGP source is free and if you ever considered making a plugin to work with chatter I'd pay as I use PGP daily on over 80% of my emails, you would also have something no other product has

http://www.openpgp.org/resources/downloads.shtml
    count me in for aol
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    Actually a poll of current users might not discover much about the potential market. But my guess is that there's little crossover between people who rely on AOL for their email (as distinct from IM and other useful AOL features) and people who have Treo's. Given that Chatter has only one developer, I would rather those resources go into stability, performance, and features, in that order. And even in the best of programs, the third is the enemy of the other two.

Not sure why you would conclude most of that Tangible. With respect to the "little crossover", clearly in merely this forum Treo enthusiasts Kmcgill, MikeElmendorf, Fkpalm, myself, and possibly Millerhifi very definitely would like to use AOL for email on their Treos via Chatter. Let's face it, whatever people's possible reservations about AOL generally speaking, there are a hell of a lot of AOL email users--and an awful lot of Treo users--out there in the world. Furthermore, Marc has already done a fine job making Chatter relatively stable and relatively high-performance. Why would you (or Marc) not attempt to be as inclusive as possible at this point? (Again, attempt-- if it can't be done by Marc, it can't be done, and people will just have to settle for Mailwave or Consilient or Snapper right now; but at some point perhaps not that far off, Snapper [or someone else] will have true push capabilities, and since it does currently work very readily w/AOL, Marc may well lose out on a lot more users who would prefer to be loyal to him if at all feasible.)
    Last edited by kenk63; 04/08/2005 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo
  11.    #51  
    It's just a question of time and energy. I've just now finished POP3 attachment handling (there will be bugs, I'm guessing, though). When I can look at it, I will.

Anyone have an AOL account I can play with?

Marc
    That's terrific Marc (and congrats on your new breakthrough with the POP3 attachments). I think a lot of us appreciate this, and I will privately mail you AOL account info (I'm assuming mailing this to chatteremail@imap.cc is the best bet). Thanks again.

-Ken
  13.    #53  
    Thanks, Ken.

Marc
    Ken,
    I meant no disrespect to people who use AOL mail. It's just that I envision Treo as an early-adopter product, and AOL as a service for people who want results and don't want to think about computers per se. Like all generalizations, it doesn't apply to every case, and even in the general case I have nothing to base this belief on other than my experience supporting a popular Web site: People with addresses @aol or @webtv were usually the least tech-savvy of all our users.
    What would be best, I think, is to ask AOL to support IMAP rather than ask Chatter to support AOL's non-standard protocols. It's only fair; AOL has a lot more developers than Chatter! I'm sure they would oblige if we just asked them nicely.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Marc,

I sent an e-mail a while ago suggesting a mailbox profile template feature for convenient mailbox creation.

Did U incorporate this in any of the betas or plan to soon?

TIA
  16.    #56  
    puyi - Not yet; it's on the list, though...

Marc
    mblank if I decide to buy this software from you what do I have to do other than downloading it? Do you just send me something to sync or is it just a code?
  18.    #58  
    No, just download it from www.chatteremail.com and try it for a while (you've got 30 days) before you buy it. It's just a code that I send...

Marc
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Having recently migrated our company mail to an Exchange Hosting A.S.P. we use the Public Folders for our shared workspace. Can Chatter access public folders, just as I access them in Mozilla Thunderbird?

TIA, Christopher
    Last edited by puyi; 04/20/2005 at 07:19 PM.
    Marc-

I have noticed in 1.05 that it's not possible to delete a message in the drafts folder. The only way I can clear that folder is to send any messages in it. Am I missing something or was this an oversight ?

TIA

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast