1.    #1  
    So, as a Canadian Rogers GSM user, and former T600 user, I decided during a recent business trip that I would treat myself to a brand new unlocked, unbranded GSM T650. I walked into the Palmone kiosk in the San Francisco Market shopping mall and bought one on the spot. $750 US including sales tax.

Over the next couple days the phone seemed to be behaving pretty well, except for green lines that were appearing in photos taken with the camera. I took the T650 back to the store for an exchange, which they happily did for me. This was on the 10th of March.

On the 11th of March I hopped on a plane with the new T650 and flew back home. Over the last two weeks, the phone has reset a few times by itself with increasing frequency, the camera has developed the green line problem evident in the first T650 I had, the Camera itself seems to have sharp focus in the upper right corners of the pics I take with increasing softness to the lower left. In addition, the volume when used without a headset is far too low.

I've done the hard-reset hokey-pokey to no avail.

I called P1's call center in the 'states to ask for an advanced exchange. They advised me that they could only offer an advanced exchange for a refurb unit, or to send it in for repair. I asked about the possibility of doing an adv. exchange for a new unit to be informed that they do not have the ability to do adv. exc. through the call center. They referred me to the P1 online store.

P1 Online told me they would not do any exchanges on items that were bought anywhere other than in the online store. I asked the sales rep to put me through to her supervisor. She agreed, but transferred me to the regular P1 support line instead. I spoke to another person in the support dept, and she agreed that I should be entitled to an adv exc. for a new unit. She made a note on my service ticket (or whatever they call it) and told me to advise the person she was transferring me to in the online store to look at the notes in the service ticket and execute an adv exc for a new unit.

The guy in the online store refused. He said it didn't matter that I bought the phone from P1 directly - It didn't come from the online store so he wouldn;t do anything for me.

I had enough.

I asked for a P1 Corporate complaints department.

I spoke at lenght to a rep in the corp. satisfaction dept. He agreed that I was entitled to a adv exc for a new unit. I passed all my info on to him today, and now I sit, waiting for a rep from the online store to cal me and process an RMA.

I'll let you know what transpires.

The lesson - don't buy from a P1 real-world store unless you live in the same town as the store. Business travelers beware. If you really want an unlocked T650, order it online.

I forgot to mention - somewhere in the middle of this I decided to call the store where I bought the phone - The rep there suggested I should "Just settle for a refurb unit"
    Last edited by agit-prop; 03/23/2005 at 09:16 PM.
    I get the green lines occasionally on the unlocked GSM, reset the phone and they go away.

**I bought the unlocked gsm from palmone usa and live in Canada also, dont bother calling them for support they will refer you to palmone Canada even though the phone was bought from p1 usa.
  3.    #3  
    Justin, from P1's corporate complaints department has just called me back. The online department is refusing to cooperate with P1 corporate and will not do an advance exchange for a new unit for me.

I have called the retail store where I bought the phone again and spoke to the manager this time. He was very sympathetic and apologetic and is dealing with P1's internal support system to try to settle this to my satisfaction. He's also extended the refund/exchange policy by a week for me. The problem is that if I go through with "Plan B" (buy a new phone via P1 online and return this one (ship to store)) I will be charged a 10% restocking fee (even though this phone's camera is now thoroughly fudged (see www.pbase.com/agitprop/t650_camera_problems ))

So far this has cost me $758 US for the phone and tax, and likely $40 in long distance phone calls to P1 corporate and the P1 retail store.

PLEASE NOTE: This in not a whine session about the flaws in the phone - this is about the way that P1 has set up their support systems. It's ridiculous that the policies between the online store and the phone support group are at odds with each other. It is ridiculous that a customer who buys from a retail store is penalized for doing so by not being given the same support options as someone who buys online. I mean come on... I *did* buy from P1 directly. The fact that I bought retail rather than online shouldn't make me a second-class consumer, should it? The fact remains - I contacted Palmone 13 days after I received my current Treo 650. Yes - this phone is only 2 weeks old and P1 tells me I'll just have to be satisfied with accepting a used phone in exchange.

P1 retail purchases should either be honored by the online store, or P1 retail should have a seperate support department with clearly stated rules and policies. Anything less is unfair to customers.

Again, I''ll update you all when I hear from them
    Last edited by agit-prop; 03/24/2005 at 08:05 PM.
  4.    #4  
    *With guarded optimism*

I may be getting somewhere with this issue!

I called P1 Canada support - They told me they could do an advance exchange on a refurbished unit. I explained my position on the matter, and the lady I spoke with put me on hold and conferred with her supervisor. She came back and explained that because the T650 is so new in Canada, I will be receiving a new unit even though the policy dictates the unit should be a refurb.

So, I'll believe it when I see it, but supposedly the issue is being resolved to my satisfaction.

Just watch - When it arrives it'll be a Rogers branded refurb unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by agit-prop
    Jthis is about the way that P1 has set up their support systems. It's ridiculous that the policies between the online store and the phone support group are at odds with each other. It is ridiculous that a customer who buys from a retail store is penalized for doing so by not being given the same support options as someone who buys online. I mean come on... I *did* buy from P1 directly. The fact that I bought retail rather than online shouldn't make me a second-class consumer, should it? T
    While I think your frustration is justified, I have the suspicion that the "Pa1mOne " stores are actually franchises, just operating under the P1 name. this might explain the reluctance to shoulder responsibility by the parent company.. No excuse really, just a clarification.
  6.    #6  
    Even though it looks like this will be resolved to my satisfaction, I plan to pursue this with P1 corporate anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman
    While I think your frustration is justified, I have the suspicion that the "Pa1mOne " stores are actually franchises, just operating under the P1 name. this might explain the reluctance to shoulder responsibility by the parent company.. No excuse really, just a clarification.
    The possibility of them being franchises wouldn't surprise me by the way they know the products (questionably), though I was under the impression that the kiosks were corporately owned and there mainly to demonstrate the entire product line, with sales as an afterthought. Since they got you for full retail on it, stand by your guns.

I'll check out the store next time I'm downtown and post if I learn anything definite about who really owns those kiosks. They could serve a great purpose if they were set up to serve as an outpost of the PalmOne company's customer service rather than just pushing devices on unsuspecting Nordstrom's status-shoppers. I have found them useful for checking out cases and other accessories rather than needing to hunt around for retail stores that have them in stock *AND* available to open and test out with my various PalmOne models.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    "Power Users" of the Treo Smartphone Unite (& insist on appropriate memory in $600-700 Treos!)
    Sorry, but I can't resist. Is Treo $700 the name of the next model?
    I think the name of the next model should be the "Treo #*377".

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
  10.    #10  
    The issue has been resolved. Palmone Canada sent me a replacement that arrived today. Letter has been sent to P1 corporate.