Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    what are the main differences, strengths and weaknesses between the available launchers?
    Wow, Ok, I'll bite. First a public service announcement. The search button is your friend. Use it and you will find the answers to the questions you haven't asked yet. OK, that said, I will give you my brief, down-n-dirty opine on the subject.

LauncherX is my choice, has been for almost three years now, through like my last 6 Palms (no joke, I upgrade constantly). LauncherX is a fast, robust well coded Launcher. It integrates many of your most desired Launcher features into a small footprint that is stable and just works.

ZLauncher is a very full featured, well supported launcher which integrates just about every feature you could want and then a few more in a Launcher. Although it is larger and extremely more complicated it can be tweaked to almost any style from minimal to all the bells and whistles.

Many people gravitate towards ZLauncher as it has more features and is much more configurable, but I prefer LauncherX as it has a smaller footprint, is faster and I don't care for all the features ZLauncher incorporates into the launcher.

With the release of a patch to LauncherX that makes it compatible with the Treo 650 I will be comfortable with LauncherX for quite a while. It is a much better fit for me then ZLauncher.

Try them both, see which one you like better is the best piece of advice I can give you, oh, that and use the search button...There are a ton of threads on this very subject and it is one of those frequently asked questions that can be bothersome to sort through in the forums and can garner critiscism for a new poster.

Cheers.
    Here's another, probably minority, outlook.

ZLauncher adds "move stuff to SD card" support, negating the need to get a utility like PowerRun. I think a good way to judge which way you will lean is this. If you consider Windows XP an improvement UI wise over it's predecessors, I think you'll like ZLauncher. If you find XP too much of an assault on the eyes, and more combersome UI, then you won't like ZLauncher.

I was a LauncherX predecessor (LauncherIII) user for about 5 years. But on the 650, the best feature is the screen and to my mind LauncherX just eats up to much screen real estate. Zlauncher put just oo much stuff on the screen making it more difficult to center in on what you wanted to do and I found the available icons / skins a bit garish. I am back to a "clean" original UI and find it a much cleaner experience
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Here's another, probably minority, outlook.

ZLauncher adds "move stuff to SD card" support, negating the need to get a utility like PowerRun...
    Actually, Launcher X does this as well.
    I love ZLauncher's "Quick Launch" and built in file manager utilities. I never used to like alternative launchers, but I'm hooked on ZLauncher now.
    Bill...does launcher X move the associated databases to the card as well?
    I'm hooked on zLauncher with the eclipes theme. Just for that I love it. It can do so much.
    "Murphy was an optimist."
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Bill...does launcher X move the associated databases to the card as well?
    It will, if they have the same creator ID and the "Bundle" bit is set. Both of those can be done with FileX, if you want to. Powerrun (or a free equivalent who name escapes me) can do this a bit better because the apps and data do not need to be "bundled."

You can also make a peristant shortcut, which supposedly will make the app be able to sync even off the card, but I do not know how well this works.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    ...[With Launcher X, ]you can also make a peristant shortcut, which supposedly will make the app be able to sync even off the card, but I do not know how well this works.
    It works very well; I sync to several card-bound apps (SplashPhoto and SplashID, for example) via their LX shortcuts. This requires that those apps' databases remain in RAM, though.
    I'm a launcher x fan - I find it clean and powerful.

Z-Launcher to me was cluttered and onfusing.
    It also has a nasty feature where it tells you it deletes apps - but actually doesn't. (it thinks of it as deleted - so you can 'restore' from recycle bin) This can cause conflicts with other applications.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    LauncherX, I was never able to make it work for me. ZLauncher, well yes, a lot of confussion but with this forum, it works really well. So I'm with ZLauncher.....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    ZLauncher has my vote now for 1 year (after using LauncherX for years). I also don't like the default cluttered interface & theme of ZLauncher, but if you use a nice clean theme it really rocks (and you don't need Powerrun & Filez)
    ZLauncher for me. I customized my interface to basically get everything off of the screen except the top status bar with the time, signal, battery, memory and SD memory.
    ZLauncher is GREAT. Customizable in a million ways....I like to change the look up all the time...icons, themes, backgrounds, fonts, layout, toolbar...everything!

Entire programs run and sync perfectly from the SD card.
    I'll add my voice to the ZLauncher crowd...it's so powerful and customizable. I even use it as a "today" screen of sorts via plugins.
    well... one more vote for zlauncher. as matty said in the very first reply to this thread - "Although it is larger and extremely more complicated it can be tweaked to almost any style from minimal to all the bells and whistles."

i love the clean interface of launcherX, and i've tweaked zlauncher to look just as clean n tidy as LX... this way i have best of both worlds.

and yeah... don't hesitate to use the "search" button
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    launcherx
    smaller footprint
    faster launch
    at the time i bought it - cheaper
    when i had my tungsten i really needed the tabbed folders
    now w/my t600 the tabs are not as important because i have favorites/shortcuts set up
    i have seen no compelling reason to change
    zLauncher imho is great, no problems here.
    Been using Launcher X for nearly 3 years I think. Tried to move to Zlauncher when I got the 650, but I found it poorly designed, confusing and bloated. So I switched back to LauncherX and now with the fix for the 650 center button I am very happy with it, even if it's slightly outdated in a couple of details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    Actually, Launcher X does this as well.
    It was my understanding that programs can be moved rather easily with Launcher X but moving "my stuff", that is that data associated with the programs, was a bit of a chore.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast