Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am exchanging my phone (treo 650) thru sprint (insurance) for a refurbished one. Are refurb. phones usually alright? Am I going to get a phone that is all scratched up with a semi-decent battery? How does this work? Any experiences?
    if it's anything like the 600 refurbs you won't be able to tell the difference.
  3.    #3  
    do they have to put a new exterior on the phone and give me a new battery? i am just worried they are going to give me one worse than my "old one (where the side button fell off).
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    do they have to put a new exterior on the phone and give me a new battery? i am just worried they are going to give me one worse than my "old one (where the side button fell off).
    I had three refurb and all had fresh batteries and exteriors were as new. Others reported the same.
    I have had 4 different refurbs in the past 6 years from sprint. All of them were fully satisfactory. About the only thing you could say is that at resale time the prospective buyer may be less satisfied if they can deduce that it is a refurb. One way to look at is that the refurb has had more time from the manufacturer to be perfected...
    Gene
  6.    #6  
    ok, thanks guys...that's comforting. If anyone else has any experiences with refurb. treo 650s let me know...
    I heard someone say not too long ago that they were still sending out new ones as replacements. You might send a PM to usere "woof". I know he got an insurance replacement.
  8.    #8  
    oh wow, thanks....I will. sprint was good help at the store, but I was just hoping that they would just give me a new one right then and there. the rep. said that this replacement would not count towards my two replacements allowed by the insurance plan. anyone know if a hardware defect will count against it??
    what was the reason for replacement?

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Matt your fine.
    I have yet to be penalized for any hardware defect treo's
    and the few refurb treo 600's i've had were flawless.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
  11.    #11  
    the side button fell off someplace on my way to work! you'd think for $600+ it'd stay on!! so now, the refurb is in the mail to the sprint store and I have to got pick it up friday or saturday.
    I would not have tolerated that, but that is me.

They should have swapped it out for a new one on the spot. There is plenty of empirical data to support that. Your resale value should not have to suffer due to a manufacturing defect.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    some of the refurb units are brand new that were reflashed with new ROM or had some sort of software update, by law they modified the product after it has been packaged so it must be sold as refurb. So in essence you MAY be getting a brand new unit.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    some of the refurb units are brand new that were reflashed with new ROM or had some sort of software update, by law they modified the product after it has been packaged so it must be sold as refurb. So in essence you MAY be getting a brand new unit.
    I dont know how much sense that makes. I have been part of many organizations that receive finished goods from overseas, unbox the units to do QC checks, modify them if neccessary and then sell them as new.

I think you may be referring to retail policy.

Regardless, the idea that rubs me the wrong way is the need for the customer jump through hoops and role the dice to hopefully come up with a like-new unit.

They should apologize for the inconvenience and swap it out on the spot. They typically DO that!

-rob
  15.    #15  
    i know, I talked to the guy, trying not to get mad and he wouldn't budge. I'm hoping I'll just get a new one when I get there to pick it up, although he said they would just replace the phone, not the box, cords etc. Oh well, its atleast a phone with no scrathes, etc.!!

Also, do I need to load the new 1.08 patch on or will sprint have done that already (probably have to since that update is SO new)
    wow that is alot of energy on this one. Matthew, heck if if does bother you to have a refurb, go to a different store and ask for it. All of the 4 refurbs I have had from Sprint appeared in every way to be new. The only thing which indicates that it actually is a refurb is that the RTN menu on the 650 indicates refurb status (get there by entering ##786#) and also, your retail box does not have the same ESN as the phone indicates.

These are more issues for resale than your actual usage. Heck if you use this thing until the next model comes out, it will naturally depreciate due to technology obsolescence. That being said then, one could say that the value impact of the refurb is for a short time anyway.

So I say just use it and enjoy it (as long as it actually functions as intended) and not worry so much about the white box it came in.

I may be an absolute crackpot however, so never mind me...
    Gene
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    Also, do I need to load the new 1.08 patch on or will sprint have done that already (probably have to since that update is SO new)
    The chances of Sprint premptively updating that phone are close to zero.

-rob
  18.    #18  
    haha...thanks gene, good to know that ##786# code, never knew that
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I heard someone say not too long ago that they were still sending out new ones as replacements. You might send a PM to usere "woof". I know he got an insurance replacement.

DT..

That's was my experience. Returned my 650 due the dreadded "P" key problem, and while they told me the new one was refurb, dialing ##786 showed it as new.
  20.    #20  
    did they give you the new cords and everything (make you return the old cords, box, etc.)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast