1.    #1  
    An update (like the Cingular or Sprint system update) will update files in the ROM and maybe some in RAM as well.

[This is an assumption by me.. A sysem after a hard reset will have files in RAM that can be deleted by Filez?]

The Palm One Hotsync backup conduit backs up applicatins and databases. However, BackupBuddy, Backupman etc backup system files as well.

So, after a system update, if you restore from a (pre-update) checkpoint, won't you end up replacing some newer files with the older ones backed up by BBuddy etc? Do these 3rd party backup programs check file versions when restoring?

It's OK to use BBuddy etc to restore after a crash. But is it OK to do that after a system update in which newer system files may have been installed on the handheld?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Although you will find many success stories of those that have done it, I would not recommend it. A backup utility [may] restore files or settings that [could] conflict with the very update you are installing.

This [could] have negative results. Just my opinion and how I do things, not trying to say that it is an absolute certainty.

For the recent Sprint updater last night, I did not use BackupBuddyVFS nor BackupBuddy for Windows to restore after the update.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    FOr some reason after i did the update, all attemps to sync via computer resulting is reset loops that were only solved with a hard reset. The only i could my system back to normal was to restore via a backup from SD card. THen after that I had no resets after syncing

All my data was fine, and I still saved memory, and treo read the proper version for firmware and versamail.

I would have rather not done it that way, but it seemed like I had no choice.
  4.    #4  
    I guess someone should find out from the Backup software vendors on whether they do any version checking when restoring.

I don't want to overwrite a newer version file with an older version ..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I personally swear by BackupBuddyVFS (onto my SD card-not the version that syncs to your computer). It has saved my hide on several occasions, most recently yesterday when restoring after a flail of a firmware update.
  6.    #6  
    I agree that the BBVFS is more reliable than the BB. The one time I needed to restore (after Cingular firmware), I got into reset loop when restoring from BB. The same checkpoint restored correctly from BBVFS.

However, the original question is still relevant: Do you want BBVFS to restore an older version of a file that was updated by the system update?

[No.]

Then
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  7.    #7  
    Sorry, got cut off..

Then should you use BBVFS during the system update process?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM