1.    #1  
    Can anyone give me a rundown or comparison between the 3 choices for email? Is chatter the only one that will push the mail to me. I already set up a fastmail account and used to have chatter installed, but was experiencing shutdowns. IF chatter ends up being the cause and if I switch to one of the other email options, will I lose any features?
    I have used them all, stuck w/Chatter/gmail/fastmail (full acct). I had problems with unresponsiveness/locking up with the latest 'stable' chatter release, but after using the most recent beta, it works flawlessly.

Before you get jumped on, you might want to look arond the communications thread...this comparison has been done over and over...
  3.    #3  
    ok. thanks for the help.
    I tried the all. If you're just doing really simple POP email, I'd stick with Versamail since it is built in to the ROM and free.

I use SnapperMail for its better interface and fancier multiple account features (Versamail and ChatterMail handle them, but not as well).

ChatterMail is good if you're looking for a more Blackberry-type experience but are willing to put up with less battery life.

The upshot is that they all have their uses and no single one is universally better; you'll have to figure out how you use your email.
    So far I can tell you aboout these two:
    -SnapperMail:Good for both IMAP and POP and very reliable if you don't need to move messages from one server folder to another. However, nothing new has been incorporated for a while. It seems that version 3.0 will do things that ChatterMail currently does.
    -ChatterMail: Less expensive than SnapperMail. Works really well with IMAP. It does push Mail in the background I think. It is an ongoing project so you should expect more updates. Pop is been currently tested under beta, but an official release should be coming out soon. Reliability is not as good as with snappermail though.

I would test both and wait for SnapperMail to come out with 3.0 and ChatterMail to release an official update for pop and make a decision at that point. I want to believe that SnapperMail is going to be as good as ChatterMail.

Al
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I have to agree with treolo and dougkoz...I am a Snapper user and just started to try Chatter. Snapper just sems more slick and polished to me. Chatter (though it has great potential) is defintiely a work in progress. I am getting random resets and some weird behavior with Blazer while user Chatter. That being said, the support from the developer is phenomenal.

I think for the average user, Snapper may be better. For the power user who does not really care about a nice interface and depends on IMAP push email, Chatter may be better.

I am on the fence right now. My geeky tech side likes Chatter and wants to believe that it will eventually get to the level of Snapper in terms of polish but my head is saying Snapper.
    Chatter all the way for me. The true and pseudo push features are outstanding. I see mail hitting the Treo virtually the same time as the desktop. And yes, the developer is absolutely outstanding. I haven't registered yet (as I am playing with all the betas that come out almost daily), but definitely plan to.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    Chatter all the way for me. The true and pseudo push features are outstanding. I see mail hitting the Treo virtually the same time as the desktop. And yes, the developer is absolutely outstanding. I haven't registered yet (as I am playing with all the betas that come out almost daily), but definitely plan to.
    I have to agree with Ohmster. I started playing with Chatter last weekend when I heard about POP3 support. After reading info here and on the Chatter site, I decided to give IMAP a shot since I could do so for free while retaining my POP3 address. First off, IMAP is great! I never even tried the POP3 component. Second, it's amazing how responsive Chatter is. Mail comes immediately and the battery drain seems less for me than it was with Versamail or Snapper (checking every 30-minutes).

Marc is probably the most responsive developer I've ever seen. I figured I'd run with it for 30 days then decide if I'd register. I didn't even make it a week before I sent my money in. Great app!!
    I would have to agree..Marc provides the best support there is before and after the product purchase, his replys to me were faster than expected and I have total faith any bugs that come up he'll get them fixed asap.

Support like he provides is rare with most developers, he actually listens to his customers and treats them the way they should be treated when they buy a product.
    Sounds like a tie btn chatter and snapper, but until then, versamail is in the rom and as someone said previously, its free. that being said, how come I cant get my yahoo mail through versamail, I have a treo 650. thanks
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Right on with Chatter, I found it to be somewhat unstable in many cases, but maybe with the new Firmware update that will change.

Chatter can not read HTML or Rich Text emails, it sends you to blazer to read them. Well I receive a lot of HTML and Rich Text emails and it is a pain to have to jump over to Blazer to read the dang things.

Snapper unfortunatly turns your screen on every time it fetches your email, but man! Emails look great, fonts/colors/html/ and syncs oh...so nice. I still would rather have Push Technology, but I am going to wait for Marc to finish his upgrades and then move over.
    Quote Originally Posted by heyknee2
    Sounds like a tie btn chatter and snapper, but until then, versamail is in the rom and as someone said previously, its free. that being said, how come I cant get my yahoo mail through versamail, I have a treo 650. thanks
    You get what you pay for...
    Just kiddin', make sure the settings are good:

pop.MAIL.yahoo.com (sometimes you forget the mail part...) Ect.
    the settings are fine, at least re pop.mail.yahoo.com, do i need to do anything with the advanced setting? ssl or ?

and now the darn thing doest even want to hotsynch, the puter not recognizing it reinstall software or ?
    the settings are fine, at least re pop.mail.yahoo.com, do i need to do anything with the advanced setting? ssl or ?

and now the darn thing doest even want to hotsynch, the puter not recognizing it reinstall software or ?
    which is the easiest to use for a non-techie?? most cost effective? and can deliver me my mail from my free yahoo account?
    If you want it to work from your Yahoo, no matter what service you use you need to use the Yahoo STMP & POP3 so you need to pay the 20 bucks. You need Gmail, same as Yahoo with more & getting better, plus its free! I stick with Snapper, cause I need my AOL mail too, and Snapper handles it well. Marc/Chatter is one of the best programers out their, always on the money. But no AOL support, so I can't use it yet.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    thanks rhino, thats what the folks at versamail told me, I need to fork up the 20 bucks..what is gmail by the way?
    Gmail is better than Yahoo, it has more storage, stmp, pop3, and actually better than Yahoo and guess what? It ain't 20 bucks, its FREE! By invitation only...so send me a pm with your e-mail & I'll send you one......Free!!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    i try snappermail, versamail and chatteremail....

chatteremail is the best!! including the name marc! 24hours he respond to my question!!

snappermail not work for my treo 650...and they did not solve my problem.... thats why i like chatteremail they always there for technical support...

for versamail....just forget it!!!