1.    #1  
    Does anybody know if the PIM issues were addressed with the recent Sprint Firmware update? Would like to try some of the address programs out there like contact pro.
    Last edited by hdonis; 03/23/2005 at 08:54 AM.
    If you are referring to the ghost databases, yes and no. They still exist but are so small now that their existence is no more than a nusance:

I posted this on one of the other threads:

Memory change: 1M to 12M! (Note 1M is not normal operating memory status. I let the ghost PIM DBs stay on for a normalized comparison)

Program/File Was/Is
    Calendar-DB 2235/624
    Datebook 2053/172

Agendus 1582/1280
    Megacalc 1155/467
    pTunes 842/629
    Contacts 741/264
    Address 695/59

Megaclock 735/607
    ZLauncher 596/453
    DTG 464/354
    SplashID 390/335
    SplashShop 443/337
    SplashPhoto 386/331
    Chatter 378/324
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply it was very informative but im not sure if it addressed the question i was asking. There are a number of programs out there that dont work because of some PIM issue. This is normally the disclaimer put on the program.

(Compatibility Note: This product is only compatible with Palm OS handhelds having a 320x320 or higher resolution screen. Due to bugs in PalmOne's PIM database compatibility layer, this product is also incompatible with the Tungsten T5 and Treo 650 handhelds. We hope that PalmOne will release an operating system patch soon for these devices.)

I was wondering if this had been corrected with the recent update. By the way this came from the program Contacts 5 Photo Edition.
    He answered the question. You can see that his datebook and address DB's remain. They are still necessary for apps that haven't been updated to use the new ones (calendar-db and contacts)

check out their reduction in size with the new memory managenent.
    Quote Originally Posted by hdonis
    Thanks for the reply it was very informative but im not sure if it addressed the question i was asking. There are a number of programs out there that dont work because of some PIM issue. This is normally the disclaimer put on the program.

(Compatibility Note: This product is only compatible with Palm OS handhelds having a 320x320 or higher resolution screen. Due to bugs in PalmOne's PIM database compatibility layer, this product is also incompatible with the Tungsten T5 and Treo 650 handhelds. We hope that PalmOne will release an operating system patch soon for these devices.)

I was wondering if this had been corrected with the recent update. By the way this came from the program Contacts 5 Photo Edition.
    NO the ones that were incompatible are still incompatible. I use TPP7i and it is much smaller now but still does not function properly
  6.    #6  
    The disclaimer was never specific on what the PIM problem was. Was it simply the memory issue or are there other problems with the database compatability layer (what ever that is). I'm not sure if they are both one in the same. I guess i will try the program in question out and see if it works, if not it means that there are still issues with the PIM that need to be addressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by hdonis
    The disclaimer was never specific on what the PIM problem was. Was it simply the memory issue or are there other problems with the database compatability layer (what ever that is). I'm not sure if they are both one in the same. I guess i will try the program in question out and see if it works, if not it means that there are still issues with the PIM that need to be addressed.
    The problem has a little to do with that as well as the NVFS... My program will work when I first download the DB but after a sync it soft resets. Huge Bummer!
    This app looks important...load and install before doing PIM synch or beam?
    +++

<<MTDN Star Developer ConfusedVorlon has released a utility application designed for anyone suffering the issues where the old address database gets corrupted on the Treo 650.

<<From the Developer, "The Treo 650 has a new contacts database format (so it can store birthdays and the like.) Fortunately, it also maintains the old database (AddressDB) so that applications like Initiate can read the same format on all Palm devices. Unfortunately, this database seems to get corrupted somehow - and doesn't get fixed by the Contacts application."

<<With Fix AddressDB, this is no longer a problem - it forces the Treo 650 to rebuild the address database and restores life to applications like "Initiate" among others..
    http://mytreo.net/news/archives/000447.php