1.    #1  
    I have about 80mb of MP3s that I want to transfer to the 650, but I do not have a card reader. Is there any danger associated with transfering a large amount of data with hotsync and how long would one expect the process to take? The dangers that I am thinking of is overheating of the unit or somthing like that.

Any thoughts?

-E44
    Won't be a problem. I've synced close to that (60MB) and while the Treo got a little warm, it was nothing worrisome.

However, a card reader is your best bet. I held out for a few weeks, changing file extensions to ".mp3" and back to sync them over. Then using FileZ to move them into place. Finally I ran into a corrupt file - any attempt to list the directory it was in would freeze the Palm until the card was ejected. Not only was I able to fix this on my computer with the new card reader, but getting files in and out is *so* much easier. Just get one - you won't regret it in the slightest.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondsw
    Won't be a problem. I've synced close to that (60MB) and while the Treo got a little warm, it was nothing worrisome.

However, a card reader is your best bet. I held out for a few weeks, changing file extensions to ".mp3" and back to sync them over. Then using FileZ to move them into place. Finally I ran into a corrupt file - any attempt to list the directory it was in would freeze the Palm until the card was ejected. Not only was I able to fix this on my computer with the new card reader, but getting files in and out is *so* much easier. Just get one - you won't regret it in the slightest.

Thanks for the advice. I plan to get a reader I just have not gotten around to it yet. Maybe later this week. By the way, why do you have to change file extentions on MP3s? I have moved a couple of them over without any problems.

- E44
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    The other solution is Card Export. Makes the treo act like a card reader. A slow one, but it's a bunch faster than hotsync. Costs about the same as a card reader. Advantage is that you don't have another thing to carry around (kind of the whole point of the Treo in my mind)
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Card Export was unstable for me, unfortunately. Every time I tried to access /PALM/Programs it would kill the connection.

As for renaming files to MP3, it's simply a hack to get "unsupported" files on the Treo. Say you want to copy the ScummVM "common.data" file over. Normally you can't sync it over, but by renaming it "common.data.mp3", then you can. Once there, you just rename the file back to "common.data" and move it where necessary. It works, but it's a pain in the ***.