Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. gse
    Just ran the 1.08 update and called a friend of mine -- he's a professional recording engineer and is the only guy who was able to describe the original 650 audio quality to me in terms I understand (I'm an audio guy too).

He said, basically -- nope, it still sounds pretty crappy. Different crappy, but crappy. The old crappy, he said, was like a really aggressive compressor with a slow release time, so plosives and stuff from me would cause following words to dip and be inaudible. Now, he said, it sounded just bad -- kind of crappy old analog-sounding noise. I had 4 bars of signal.

I called him back on the cheesy little Samsung that my officemate just got from Verizon for free. The report: "sounds great. night and day difference."

Well, at least there's more free memory now.
    scott evans :: <a href="http://www.antisleep.com">www.antisleep.com</a>
    One call on Sprint and another on Verizon. Not a good test.
    Well while it did not meet the demands of a couple sound engineers it does show there was some level of improvement from whatever was not liked before. Personally the sound works for me and I have not installed the patch yet. But then again I'm not an audio guy .

See if Sprint can give you a cheap Samsung and add it to your plan .
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    oh jee a real live recording eng. said the call sounded lousy, well hmm if i was a real live pro rec eng, i have to understand a few things and since you cannot recreate the same EXACT signal pattern, location, electromagnetic interference bla bla bla, like you can in a rec studio, trust me in Nashville theres one on every block, id say that this " sound check " is a tad off inmo. but hey thats me
    mt
    Mine is still muffled and flat sounding. Left several voicemails to myself, talked to several people.

Ironically the first call I made was a struggle in and of itself. I had to repeat myself numerous times...the caller couldn't understand what I was saying for some reason.

I think it's better, but still not even close to my old Toshiba 4050 on Sprint.

Oh well. Guess P1 will say it's a PDA company, not a Phone company now...
    Maybe I should not install the patch. I talk to people and they say I sound just fine .

But none of them are sound engineers .
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    go ahead its not what you hear its what you say! your not listening to your self are you? im installing as we speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by gse
    Just ran the 1.08 update and called a friend of mine -- he's a professional recording engineer and is the only guy who was able to describe the original 650 audio quality to me in terms I understand (I'm an audio guy too).

He said, basically -- nope, it still sounds pretty crappy. Different crappy, but crappy. The old crappy, he said, was like a really aggressive compressor with a slow release time, so plosives and stuff from me would cause following words to dip and be inaudible. Now, he said, it sounded just bad -- kind of crappy old analog-sounding noise. I had 4 bars of signal.

I called him back on the cheesy little Samsung that my officemate just got from Verizon for free. The report: "sounds great. night and day difference."

Well, at least there's more free memory now.
    so you gonna do a live recording thru cellphones now?
    i thought the phone on treo 650 is just for making & answering phone calls?
    how many of us here are actually audiophile? or at least gifted? not me
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
  9. gse
    Wha? Who said anything about audiophiles?

All I said is that my friend and I speak the same language, and that he's able to clearly articulate how something sounds to me. Also, I trust his ears a lot. But in the end we're just a couple of people that talk on phones every day like anyone else.

And if anyone (from Butch Vig to my dad) heard the Treo vs. a free Samsung back-to-back, I'd hope they would say "yep, Treo sounds fine".

"he's a recording engineer, so he must be full of **** about the sound!". Whatever makes you happy.

sheesh.
    scott evans :: <a href="http://www.antisleep.com">www.antisleep.com</a>
    gse, don't worry about the flames. Some people have too much time on their hands, and are afraid to admit their expensive purchase is not up to par yet. Even the 600 sound quality was not as good as my old Motorola startac was. Seems to me, the fancier some of the phones get, the more they forget about voice quality. I think the sound quality on the 650 is a bit better now, but no where near up to par with other "pure" cell phones. And I am no audophile OR sound engineer, and can still tell the difference. Guess I will still use my old boomed headset when I am making business calls on it here at home.
    Again, two different phones on two different networks placed at two different times. Useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Again, two different phones on two different networks placed at two different times. Useless.
    Right: There's no way to know the relative signal strengths of the two networks at the times the calls were made, how busy they were (do cell phone networks start compressing the sound to improve bandwidth utilization when the networks are busy?), or anything else. It would take a series of comparisons to make this at all meaningful.

Given that many people have reported significantly improved sound quality, I still have an open mind.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevwill
    gse, don't worry about the flames. Some people have too much time on their hands, and are afraid to admit their expensive purchase is not up to par yet.
    Ditto that; Some people bought the 650 for the pretty screen and to see how many games they could cram into it. Those with heavy call volume, and poor sound quality, appreciate your assessment.
    Quote Originally Posted by gse
    And if anyone (from Butch Vig to my dad) heard the Treo vs. a free Samsung back-to-back, I'd hope they would say "yep, Treo sounds fine".
    Butch Vig would probably say it sounds like garbage...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I made a call right after updating, said "I updated my phone's firmware, and want to check the voice quality", and my friend said "what? I can't hear you"
    The sound quality is still terrible. My Sony-Ericsson P900 on Cingular often sounds as good as a land line. The 650 on Sprint is much much worse, even after the update.

And yeah, what's with all the jack-hole responses on this thread? Those of you who think the sound quality is good: give your phone to someone else, and have them call you on it.
    I have listened to my Treo from the other end, and it's fine. There is so much variability that one off tests are virtually meaningless. I think there is a quite large selection bias here: if your phone sounds fine, you think that's how it should be and you go on your way. If it doesn't sound fine, you tell everyone.
    Could the problem be that it's the SPRINT network stinks? It seems all the tests are using other networks. I'm in the minority that uses Cingular with the sound quality being too loud sometimes. I just wondered if maybe Sprint was the actual problem.
    I'm not being confrontational so please don't blast me. My friend wants to switch carriers just for the TREO and sound quality is a big issue. Like I said, mine is fine, but many Cingular Treos are not. If the updater fixed the Sprint problem she will go with them.
    Just a comment. I see from other threads that the software didn't update to 1.08 from 1.03 in some cases. I also see that some people are reporting a marked improvement in phone quality while others are not. Check to see that you have 1.08 after the updater is run.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Mine is 1.08, better sound quality, but still not as good as my wife's samsung sprint, or my motorola verizon. (make that now my daughters motorola verizon). Its better than it was, maybe even MUCH better, but still not comparable to the other phones. Note, that both the samsung and the 650 are sprint. Same network, same location. Can't compare apples to apples any better than that. Conclusion, nice update, would be nice to have an even BETTER phone experience.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast