Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can't get over the quality of this update, mainly in the fact of the NVFS. I gained 2.5 megs after the update, and am blown away by other treocentral members reporting some amounts of twice that amount. The volume, and sound clarity are also great. I gotta say palmone definitely picked themselves up on this one, and it makes me feel good, even better now owning a treo 650.
    I tend to agree. I was using a custome rom with all the tools I could fit in it. I expected to lose my custom rom and lose tons of space. I lost the rom but GAINED space. With everything in ram that used to be in rom as well as my regular app I gained about 3-4 MB.

hard to be sure of an exact amount.
    soccrnj80...I agree with you. I'm hesitant to post this now, as I don't want to jinx myself, but...it seems that this update has fixed more than meets the eye. I have had my phone for 2-3 months now. It was fine until 2 weeks ago it started crashing. I did what I thought was the smart thing...hard reset, reinstall 1 by 1 and never restored anything...fresh installs of everything. The good times lasted for a day or so and then it started resetting multiple times daily.

Today, with the phone sitting on my desk, the phone reset 5 times. Then, I installed the update. It has been 3 and a half hours +/- with ZERO resets. It almost seems too good to be true (fingers crossed).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
  4.    #4  
    I hear ya about jinxing. I think for a while now we have come to expect and accept less from palmone. Especially us longtime original users who have been with them since the III and v days, thats what made the palm os the great os we loved to use. I think that maybe they finally have started listening again to their loyal users, and knew they had to wow us. I for one can say that palmone defintiely stepped up to the plate today. If this is a sign of things to come, the have restored faith. I sound crazy, but am almost expecting my treo to hard reset out of the blue now (not really), I am just SO IMPRESSED with this update. It's almost a little scary,lol.
    For people who are considering getting a T650, wondering when the update will be installed/shipped on the next production runs of the T650...is there a way to guage this?

Also, Here's hoping Shadowmite can develop a new ROM that includes parts of P1's/Sprint's Updater along with his custom tweaks!
    ###
    I would guess that phones leaving the factory as of today probably have the update installed... no way to know for sure however.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Yeah, they did a pretty damn good job <hopes we all dont start having random issues 2 days from now due to a flaky beta firmware update>.. This NVFS rewrite had to be a pretty huge undertaking by itself. They promised a resolution and delivered.

kudos

and a couple less things for the whiners to whine about now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    and a couple less things for the whiners to whine about now.
    Do you think a little update is gonna stop 'em? Tomorrow, they'll be bashing all of its faults.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Oh I don't know. I was getting pretty frustrated and was about to call SPCS to get the phone swapped. Thought I wasn't yet whining, I was certainly getting close to that point. I think others were just pi$$ed off that they had spent $600ish on a phone to have it reset 15 times a day. I could be wrong, but maybe I'm just hopeful?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
  10.    #10  
    I'm sure there will still be whiners, but damn.. they are gonna have a hard time whining about this fix. I just went back and checked my ram and I got almost 4 megs free, I originally thought it was 2.5 megs. Hope people don't flame me
    Yeah so far so good (knock on wood)......no resets for 4 1/2 hours!!
    Quote Originally Posted by soccrnj80
    I gotta say palmone definitely picked themselves up on this one, and it makes me feel good, even better now owning a treo 650.
    O'mgosh, stop it.... just... f**king stop it!

Granted, any improvement is exactly that... an improvement... but cheese and rice!

I implore of you please... Please try to look at the big picture here... Just ... stop and take a hard look at what we have here... Please?

Some of us are truly trying to get PalmOne to REALLY DO something about this issue... posts like this can only encourage them to pick up an ashtray, a donut and head for the break room.

Please rethink about praising them for serving us up crap like this...

Oh God, here we go again...

OK, look... before you get all emotional and angry about what I'm saying, just consider this: Remember how you felt about the incredible leap Handspring made from the creaky old 180/300 to the 600? WOW... right?... Now, we don't expect crazy improvements like that every time, right... because that would truly be unreasonable. But just for a moment, stop. Try to look at the 600 evolving into the 650 in the same light...

Guys... it's OK to say it now... really... all together now, repeat after me:
    "PalmOne... We are disappointed in what you've done with the Treo 650's menus, memory, software/firmware... PalmOne, please make it right."

OK now resume the hatred of that "a**hole" tundycentral.

How convenient... I mean that has to be it right, I'm just a jerk.

Nah, it couldn't be that someone actually cares enough to turn their anger and disappointment into constructive action... could it?
    tundy... say whatever you want, but be warned: the next profanity you use (no matter how veiled you make it) will be the LAST post you make here.
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    O'mgosh, stop it.... just... f**king stop it!

Granted, any improvement is exactly that... an improvement... but cheese and rice!

I implore of you please... Please try to look at the big picture here... Just ... stop and take a hard look at what we have here... Please?

Some of us are truly trying to get PalmOne to REALLY DO something about this issue... posts like this can only encourage them to pick up an ashtray, a donut and head for the break room.

Please rethink about praising them for serving us up crap like this...

Oh God, here we go again...

OK, look... before you get all emotional and angry about what I'm saying, just consider this: Remember how you felt about the incredible leap Handspring made from the creaky old 180/300 to the 600? WOW... right?... Now, we don't expect crazy improvements like that every time, right... because that would truly be unreasonable. But just for a moment, stop. Try to look at the 600 evolving into the 650 in the same light...

Guys... it's OK to say it now... really... all together now, repeat after me:
    "PalmOne... We are disappointed in what you've done with the Treo 650's menus, memory, software/firmware... PalmOne, please make it right."

OK now resume the hatred of that "a**hole" tundycentral.

How convenient... I mean that has to be it right, I'm just a jerk.

Nah, it couldn't be that someone actually cares enough to turn their anger and disappointment into constructive action... could it?

geez, I actuallu thought this was a good update on my phone and was glad to get all that memory and have my headset loud enough to use.

You must be right, I guess it sucks
    I'm confused. You seem to be upset merely for the sake of being upset. The fact remains they promised to fix the NVFS issue and they have done exactly that. Kudos, Palmone.
    Hank (Tundy)...

I disagree with you. I have been 100% behind your constructive actions (ie website) and we have exchanged several emails about my displeasure with my 650. After installing this update, although it is probably too early to make a decision, (and with the exception of the slight dialing delay), my phone has been exactly as I wanted when I bought it. It hasn't crashed once, all progs are working fine, etc. I don't think your cursing and negativity are helping anything. If PalmOne indeed fixed so many of the problems why does that pi$$ you off so much?? Did some PalmOne employee molest a pet of yours or something? Why all the anger?
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    So your whining and crying on a message board is constructive action? Um, yeah.
  18.    #18  
    I don't agree on you with this one, whats wrong with saying how impressed we our with this fix. Yeah, we were disappointed, and we vented. They listened obviously, because they needed to. We already found out that palmone does read these forums, they admitted it, and even contacted shadowmite due to finding him on here. I will praise them for this fix, it was beyond my expectations of what they could/would do for us. I am not one to just praise palmone, I too have vented about their screw ups in the past, but when something is done well I will say so, and maybe it will just get into one palmone's readers head and make them think about not making future screwups. I don't think posts like this will make them lazy, if anything it revived my faith (don't mean to sound so philisophical) about the future of palmone and the palm os. Since when did recognition on a good job become a bad thing?? JUst my opinion...
    anyone know if i'd have to re-verizon my sprint 650 if i install the update?
  20.    #20  
    Like Markeagle said, there will always be a whiner..
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast