Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    With the ROM patch in place, I'm wondering how much easier it will be to upgrade/synch apps and data from a T600 to a T650 (for people who have waited on the fence), and if so, has p1 updated its instructions page to reflect the new ROM/updater.
    I'd guess it probably hasn't changed.
  2.    #102  
    Joe bar you're way off!!!
    I gained 6 inches, cool side effect, and now my treo 650 does multitask... as a p*@&s pump. lol.
    The update has shown me that just as they put out the best smartphone on the market, they also put out the best software updates <:-D> I couldn't be happier.
    The Pros:
    1. Went from 4 megs to over 11!
    2. BT Volume is fixed. Perfect. Loud. I was one of the biggest complainers out there on this issue! Now? None at all. Headset volume is perfect for me! I've read some people saying it didn't fix that fpor them, but it damn sure did for me!
    The Cons:
    1. Still no way to launch Voicedial from a BT headset.
    2. SpalshID totally buggy after update. All data gone (some of it is going to be a real BYOTCH to track done and replace.) Launching Spalsh was fine, albeit it EMPTY, but exiting in ANY manner reset the phone. Deleted it and went to "My Content Manager" on sprintpcs.com to resend it. Works fine now, but still empty <: mad>.
    All in all? Happy camper here!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I installed the Cingular update a few days ago and saw teh following:

1. Increase in available memory of about 3 MB.

2. Increase in app launch speed of card by factor of 3.

3. Overall speed increase.

Though I have to say that I have had more resets since installing the update than I did in the entire 7 weeks that I have been using the phone. They have essentially stopped and I wonder if it had to do with things just "resettling" themselves with the new structure. AFter pairing the new Treo Headset, it reset itself twice, first use of VoiceDial it again reset. And then I had maybe two more initiating othe rprograms, can't rememebr which. But 2nd try of same program didn't cause nay problem and all seems well and good. In the weeks before the update I had two resets....and I have a Gemplus 64k SIM.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicegoogly
    Let's get something clear: The update WORKS great, but PalmOne should not be praised in any way for fixing a device that they KNEW was this buggy before release. There are a myriad of issues PalmOne needs to resolve that a patch won't fix (I know, not exactly theforum). First and foremost, their customer support and technical support. Their Level 2 had me play with my system registry (after I told him I wanted nothing to do with changing anything on it) and caused a permanent error on my new laptop. I had to go all the way up to corporate customer service (let me know if you need the number) and all they did was offer me a 25 dollar gift certificate at the Palm Store, not the Treo Store...does that make sense? They admit they caused the error on my computer but will now do nothing except continue to have an engineer (third one this time) work with me. They are authorized to do nothing esle. I have already filed a lawsuit against them for the damage to my computer and have received their records stating they admit to causing the error on my computer that they cannot fix it (hotsynch looking for a notifier file "packinst.dll"). I'll let you guys know how that goes. At the very least, it will cost them more cheddar to deal with my lawsuit than to have done something for me to begin with. I'm an attorney so there are no fees other than filing fees to me which I am seeking in my complaint. I didn note, Olerr error that many of us have had, some have fixed it, some have used Chapura Pocket Mirror Standard XT, like myself to fix the issue. The matter is currently under investigation according to the website. A flatout admission to a design defect that could prove costly to palm in the event of a class action suit.

In sum, I am happy to have the update, which is great, except my Bluetooth headset requires a button push to activate the microphone as to just an automatic pick up. But to praise palm for fixing glaring errors upon release of the phone is like thanking a doctor for removing the scalpal he left in you after an appendectomy.

In addition, Tundy needs to get with the program. If he isn't c*rs*ng, he's lying.
    I understand that Palm One's instruction caused a problem with your registry, but this could be fixed with a simple repair of the operating system using the original Windows CD. Palm One may have caused the error, but they did it in good faith while trying to fix a problem for you. Now you are turning around and filing a lawsuit against them? Do me a favor - change my opinion of attorneys by not being such a jerk. Seriously, it was a honest mistake, Spend the 30 to 45 minutes to repair Windows and your problem is gone. You'll waste far less resources doing this and people won't despise your profession. Grow up - attorneys and lawsuits are ruining this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyder81
    I understand that Palm One's instruction caused a problem with your registry, but this could be fixed with a simple repair of the operating system using the original Windows CD. Palm One may have caused the error, but they did it in good faith while trying to fix a problem for you. Now you are turning around and filing a lawsuit against them? Do me a favor - change my opinion of attorneys by not being such a jerk. Seriously, it was a honest mistake, Spend the 30 to 45 minutes to repair Windows and your problem is gone. You'll waste far less resources doing this and people won't despise your profession. Grow up - attorneys and lawsuits are ruining this country.
    AMEN!! Its not possible to permanately damage a PC via the Registry. How does one get all the way thru law school (and apparently pass the BAR, mind you) and not be able to figure that out?
    Upgraded to 1.08, and got over 6MB back!!... Imagine the luxury... I even installed some extra apps in RAM and still have 40% of my RAM available... This is bliss.

I still have had a few resets, but mostly to do with the crappy digital/roaming edge I live along I think. I also had a chatter dilemma that forced me to start over, but overall THANK YOU FOR THE FIX! What a surprise!

Now we can all go to looking for the next best app!
    LOL, I'm just happy I was able to Update. I gained about 5 mb of space which is a good thing.

Now about Versamail usage? Can we now auto sync, is it more stable now or too soon to tell. I'm having flashbacks and a lil scared to use it. -JK

P1 quoted:

"Includes VersaMail 3.0c which provides greater stability and improvements"
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretender
    I've had my phone for a few weeks (3-4) and didn't experience a single problem listed here. It has been running just fine with no resets, no voice problems, nothing. I have the Sprint version. I upgraded to the new 1.08 and it has given me around 5 megs more memory. I must be in the 80% that is totally satisfied with this product. So whether or not some on this board want to admit it or not, this phone is by far the best smartphone I have ever used.

If you gained 5 megs more memory then you experienced the memory flaw the rest of us have. So how is it that you say you never experienced a single problem listed here? The memory flaw was the biggest issue folks have had with this phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Rumor is the Sprint update also gives ya an extra two inches!

Thanx P1!
    Hey man I'm black, so those extra two inches can go to some needy guy who really needs them.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I got back 5MB RAM (9.3 to 14.3). I only applied it an hour or so ago so I haven't tested everything but so far no problems and everything is running smoothly. Except BizConEE - that I had to re-register.

DrDoom - SplashID is just fine on my 650 post-upgrade. To get to the 11MB, I moved it (and other stuff) to SD via ZLauncher. Post-upgrade I moved it back. I just double-checked and it's fine. No problems with the data & I can exit w/o resets.
    - Fushigi
    Quote Originally Posted by soccrnj80
    I am tired of hearing the whiners on here complain. Some are suing palmone, others think that they should have waited to release the 650 because it was really a beta product we were testing. I have been a palm os user for years, and have tried other os'es in the past. The treo 650 is THE BEST device I have used, period. The same way microsoft and apple release fixes, thats what this was a fix to bugs,annoyances,whatever you want to call it. It's a device with an operating system, there are going to be some bugs, thats life, get over it already. I applaud the great fix they released, it FIXED!!!
    You are just being a Palm apologist here. The fact that the update fixed SO MANY issues all at once shows that this phone should not have been released in the state that it was AND that Palm has the capability to make a good solid product when they really choose to. It being a device with an operating system is no excuse for releasing a product before its ready. These weren't just some "bugs". They were serious issues which made the device unusable for a good number of people. Whether it was the constant resetting, bad voice quality, lack of usable memory for applications, or sync issues they all add up to a product not ready for prime time. Just because Palm has now fixed those issues does not made the earlier complaints invalid. If you are really tired of hearing the whiners complain then you always have the right to stop reading their posts.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85
    The fact that the update fixed SO MANY issues all at once shows that this phone should not have been released in the state that it was .....
    No, it indicates a good patch and a good policy of avoiding weekly patches - this is a phone, not a desktop pc !

They were serious issues which made the device unusable for a good number of people.
    ...but not a large % of the people. This reminds me of the argument to "cancel you order" and send a message to Palm. I'm not sure there are enough folks on this board to send a message to palm, let alone the vocal minority of those with 82 apps, a ROM overlay and a contact database with 10k records (how can anyone know that many people).

My point is, if someone found value in the update (like I did) why must they be beaten into submission by technology purists.

ps. I am not a Palm apologist and can supply a long list of areas they can improve - starting with CS.
    If you gained 5 megs more memory then you experienced the memory flaw the rest of us have. So how is it that you say you never experienced a single problem listed here? The memory flaw was the biggest issue folks have had with this phone!

yawn....

because they still had memory left and there was no impact to their usage of the treo? He said he didn't "experience" a problem because of it. He didn't say the Treo didn't have faults.

We are all sorry that we don't live in your world where pain and suffering must be self-induced (is that a word?) so that you can appreciate other people's problems.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    You are just being a Palm apologist here.

Whether it was the constant resetting, bad voice quality, lack of usable memory for applications, or sync issues they all add up to a product not ready for prime time.
    Just because my 650 had none of these issues, I'm an "apologist"? Gimme a break!

Just because Palm has now fixed those issues does not made the earlier complaints invalid.
    I don't think anyone invalidated those complaints; most simply didn't experience the issues. Big difference.

If you are really tired of hearing the whiners complain then you always have the right to stop reading their posts.
    If you are really tired of hearing the satisfied users then you always have the right to stop reading their posts. It's a 2-way street.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    It is nice to see that Treo 650 users finally have as much memory as 600 users. LOL. In this day and age 32mb is still a joke for a market leading product. I will still wait for the real upgrade.

It is good to see that Palmone has come through on one of its promises though.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisonmuscle
    It is nice to see that Treo 650 users finally have as much memory as 600 users.
    Not everyone using the 650 was a 600 user, or even a Treo user for that matter. Compared to my Visor Deluxe, the 650 is lightyears ahead in all aspects.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I, for one, think Palm ought to get appropriate props for coming out with a patch that seems to address a number of the issues. Indeed I was suprised with how "fast" they came out with it given that they poo-poo'ed the memory problem and that they never "offically" admited there was a sound problem. From everything I have read so-far, this is a very good patch and P1 should be thanked for getting done and out. Greatly restores some of my faith in P1!

That being said, this whole episode would make a great case-study for somebody's MBA thesis, assuming you could get somebody from P1 to be honest with you about everything (I know, don't hold your breath!).

The fact is that all of these problems could have been avoided if there had been real-world testing of the device with real users. Handing these out to a few marketing execs and VPs at P1 and Sprint just didn't cut it. Also, the people who had the final say could have listened a bit more to some of their own P1 people who felt like there were issues. (I am thinking of Skillman who said at the roadshow "I wish it had 64meg" or the engeenier guy I talked to who said the memory was a joke and also that the keyboard was way too bright and needed a buit-in shut off). Betwen these issues, how the Roadshow was handled, the gaffe with the pricing of the unlocked 650, and so on, it seems pretty clear that there are different groups at P1 who either don't or can't talk to each other to make sure things are goofed-up.

If they had done real testing, the sound and memory (and others - "P" key perhaps??) issues would have been obvious and, as we know now, addressed in a way that seems to satisfy most people.

By NOT doing that, here is a partial list of what it cost P1:

-The cost of the 128meg cards (ok, they are cheap to buy on ebay or amizon but it DID cost them something).

-The shipping and handling of the cards (They had to pay someone to to stock, stuff and ship, this, along with postage, probably cost more than the cards themselves)

-The time and expense of answering all of the complaints and questions about the memory problem AND how to get the free card. (remember a lot of people had to call P1 to get it since the on-line method -another expense for P1 - didn't work). Every second they paid someone to deal with this issue is a cost directly attributable to the inadequate testing.

-The cost of the wasted time by P1 types at the Roadshows who, instead of selling the 650, had to spend large parts of their time defending the memory issue.

-The bad press and, potentially, lost sales because of it.

-The ticked-off developers. One I met at the Roadshow was livid about the memory issue and couldnt run the product he was there to sell everybody because he kept getting out of memory errors. In addition, just read some of Jeff Gibson's great posts about the memory on the 650.

- The cost of comming up with a patch and distributing it, instead of having the issues correct in the first place. Those techies at P1 who did this fix SHOULD have been working on something else. Perhaps the next gen Treo, perhaps some enhancement updates that would make the 650 more marketable or whatever. Yes there would have been time spent on tweaking the 650 before release if it had been tested properly, but that is always easier and cheaper than an after the fact fix and is likely not taking time away from planned post-650 release projects.

-Hard to quantify, but the decline in P1's stock price. Now there were certainly a lot of other pressures on P1's stock and this, by itself, is not responsible for all of the decline, but it certainly helped push it over the edge (but NOT EV-DO ). There were clearly a lot of people nervous about P1 and the bad press on the flagship 650 hurt a lot. P1's stock would likely have gone down anyway at some point, but the bad memory-buzz combinded with other news to make the drop worse and sooner than otherwise would have been.

On a different note, this also makes me suspect even more that the "original ROM leak" to shadowmite was a deliberate move by somebody at P1. Can you imagine the mess there would be if those with custom ROM's could not do the 1.08 update. People would be screaming and calling and there would, I suspect, be alot of out-of-the-blue warranty claims or lockline insurance requests in order to get a phone with the original ROM. Plus they get all of the RealPlayer and VersaMail haters back with the programs on their 650's.

I know Shadowmite and others are looking to hack this ROM and I hope they do, but I am just getting more consipracy-theoryish about the incredible luck involved in the original ROM find. If it was NOT a set up, look what had to have happend:

*Somebody at P1 had to have a need to mess with the ROM on a 650 about to ship.
    *They had to drop the card in the box and not notice they had done so.
    * It had to be sold and shipped just at the right time. Not before anyone was aware of the problem, but not too far after so the buzz on the ROM updates would have faded.
    *It had to go to someone that was aware there WAS a sound problem.
    *It had to go to someone that knew what was on the card and not think it was just gibberish
    *It had to go to someone that would not have just thrown away or written over the card whether they understood it or not.
    *It had to go to someone who was aware of Shadomite's work and knew how to contact him and who was willing to contct him.
    *It had to have been found next to the tree on the grassy knoll...sorry wrong conspiracy.
    NVFS memory efficiency (or lackthereof) and earpiece volume are my only complaints on the Treo 650. Besides that I have 0 other issues. Never resets, never nothing bad.
    So if they fix or improve those two things, I have a product I'm 100% stoked to have.
    Well I take that back, the phone app does occaionally go out to lunch and stop responding to buttons (can't hang up, etc.) once in a great while. That's annoying, so I do have 1 complaint.
    I'm still waiting for the upgrade for us unlocked folks, I'm sure it's on it's way soon.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Not everyone using the 650 was a 600 user, or even a Treo user for that matter. Compared to my Visor Deluxe, the 650 is lightyears ahead in all aspects.
    From a guy who owned (and upgraded with sidecars) an original IBM PCJr (oh that hurt to say that ) my Treo 650 is more powerful and useful then any pre-80486 desktop or notebook I ever owned, and given it has built in cellular connectivity, even more valuable at times than my shiny new Thinkpad X40. If that makes me a Palm/Treo fanboy, then so be it. It's good to have high expectations, because that keeps manufacturers on their toes, but considering we are only a few years beyond the first real smartphones, this is a good amount of progress.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.