Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i own the gsm treo 650, and the videos are saved as .3gp(p)

is there a converter so i can convert my 3gps to mpegs or avi, or an application that automatically saves them as a different file initally?

btw, sry if this was already asked, if it was please link me

-bruno
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    I whipped this up for some friends:

http://portune.dnsalias.net/3gp/
    You can use Quicktime
    I use the imToo MPEG encoder.
    http://www.imtoo.com/mpeg-encoder.html
    It allows you to convert from almost any format to .3gp and .3gp to almost any format.
    It's $35 (not bad for what it does if you ask me) and there's a free trial.

I found when converting TO .3gp for playing stuff on the Treo 650, I convert to 12 frames per second and 400kbps bit rate and this gives me a good size with good quality.

I didn't know Quicktime did this also, I'll have to give that a try.

Update...
    Quicktime works great, however immToo does give you greater flexibility of options to do conversions. For example when I want to covert TO .3gp (I know the initial post was about converting from) with immToo I can select 352x288 resolution, Quicktime doesn't allow you to go above 176x144. ImmToo also allows you to use higher bit rates.

My suggestion is to try ImmToo if Quicktime doesn't give you what you need.
    Realplayer (real.com) also plays .3gp files (if you can stand to have the software on your machine.) I mean the PC version, not the mobile Plam version (which does not.) The nice thing about real player is that it will allow you to play multiple .3gp files in sequence.
    Last edited by taylorh; 03/22/2005 at 06:46 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by mportune
    I whipped this up for some friends:

http://portune.dnsalias.net/3gp/
    sorry but it wont work on my XP. got the unknown format error.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    hmm, dunno. works like a champ for me on XP Pro & WMP 10. Sounds like the codec isn't being picked up by WMP if it's still complaining about the format.
  7.    #7  
    first off, thanks, and second off, i also found another program, River Past Video Cleaner, maybe not as many options as imToo, but its not bad for what im using it for
    You can select higher custom resolution by pressing the down arrow key within Quicktime Pro. Normally the custom is grayed out... just select one of the other available resolutions and can get to custom by arrow-down. After that you can enter custom height/width.

I find that QTPro on XP doesn't work with all codecs as well as Mac version. Not too many codecs for windows support Quicktime, where on Mac most do.
    I have modified a 3G encoder to make conversions for Treo. You can open up a DVD and drop the VOB file on the converter and it will make the 3gp file. It uses ffmpeg (GPL / freeware) underneath. It does a good job and it is fairly quick. Should be able to put an hour and a half movie in about 120MB. If anyone is interested I will create a link.
    Adam West
    Quote Originally Posted by adamwest
    I have modified a 3G encoder to make conversions for Treo. You can open up a DVD and drop the VOB file on the converter and it will make the 3gp file. It uses ffmpeg (GPL / freeware) underneath. It does a good job and it is fairly quick. Should be able to put an hour and a half movie in about 120MB. If anyone is interested I will create a link.
    Will it deCSS the DVD as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    Will it deCSS the DVD as well?
    Probably not but I haven't tried. I make my own DVDs so I hadn't really thought about it.
    Adam West
    I would be interested in a link. thanks.
    Adam West
    ANyone get the thumbnails to work?
    ANyone get the thumbnails to work?

hey adamwest youre the greatest, I come on this website time to time, study all the multimedia threads for how to make a video happen on the treo, and snuck in somewhere is a little comment from you about smply using 3g encoder.

Wow! drag a video on it and i have instant files for the treo OR my new PSP.

The other guys are simplifying it down to 6-12 steps, worried about voice/pic sync, chopping everything into six parts since you cant access the middle...on and on...

Your solution is too simple, too easy, and works too good--you made my day.

randy
    Quote Originally Posted by kyorandy
    hey adamwest youre the greatest, I come on this website time to time, study all the multimedia threads for how to make a video happen on the treo, and snuck in somewhere is a little comment from you about smply using 3g encoder.

Wow! drag a video on it and i have instant files for the treo OR my new PSP.

The other guys are simplifying it down to 6-12 steps, worried about voice/pic sync, chopping everything into six parts since you cant access the middle...on and on...

Your solution is too simple, too easy, and works too good--you made my day.

randy
    Great prog, it just takes a bit to do larger files. Maybe 5-10 minutes per 100 meg or so. But still great prog!
    Adam West,
    Great job with this. Thanks. Really easy to use and saves me the cost of mmplayer. I have one question. I can probably guess, but what would I have to change in the .ini file to keep the audio as stereo?
    thanks
    Let me modify my question to this: Your default Treo mode seems to be optimized for the speaker on the back. If we want good quality audio using stereo headphones through the headphone adapter, what settings would you suggest? It seems there are several audio settings that might need to be updated, including possibly the codec.
    Quote Originally Posted by akabruno
    is there a converter so i can convert my 3gps to mpegs or avi, or an application that automatically saves them as a different file initally?
    I really need help with this as well. I've tried QuickTime Pro and the River Past Video Cleaner, both of which advertise 3G2 (3GPP2) compatibility (and of course Quicktime would). I
    technically get AVI and MOV (and WMV) files out of them, but here are the problems:
    • Quicktime 3G2 to MOV: No matter what audio setting I use for Export, even "None," the audio is so badly squelched or mangled that it really sounds like a constipated robot or something. And this is supposed to be their format!
    • River Past 3G2 to AVI or WMV: The audio is so far out of sync it's not funny, again, seemingly no matter what audio encoding type or rate I use. In this case, the video seems a bit slow, and the audio is maybe 140 percent too fast -- and of all things, it starts looping toward the end of the clip until the video is done.

I really want to use video off my Treo 650 in other projects, and grainy video and bad audio is fine... but completely out of sync or incomprehensible audio is not going to work. Any ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast