View Poll Results: How is Sprint Treo 650 Updater 1.08 working for you?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Works great, does what they said it would do!

133 76.88%
  • Does what they said it would do, but now I have other new issues - please specify

13 7.51%
  • I dont' notice any "Overall voice quality improvements"

10 5.78%
  • No "Internal setting modification to allow correct access to Sprint Affiliate roaming"

0 0%
  • No "Non-Volatile File System improvements"

1 0.58%
  • No "TTY (also known as TDD or Text Telephone) optimizations and improvements"

1 0.58%
  • No "Optimizations for data calls"

0 0%
  • No "VersaMail 3.0c which provides greater stability and improvements"

1 0.58%
  • No "Bluetooth Carkit drivers"

0 0%
  • I don't have a Sprint Treo 650, so I can't use this patch

21 12.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, after a day of running just fine with the patch, I soft reset my phone afte downloading the latest pocket tunes and my phone lost all its settings including application registrations. I am thoroughly frustrated as I am stuck for a while until I can get back home to hard reset my phone and then synch it again from my last backup. I am just glad this didn't happen a few days from now when I will be out of town, otherwise I would be completely and totally F'ed.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    zepkid, you may want to invest in BackupMan, BackupBuddy, or one of the other backup apps that save to SD. That way, in the future you can do a restore anywhere, anytime without being tethered to a PC.

That said, I just did a soft reset and my app reg codes are still intact.
    - Fushigi
    My experience with the update:

- Gained about 2MB
    - No change whatsoever in the speakerphone, headset, BT volume and quality
    - Speed dial is slightly quicker
    Everything its 100% better more memory, better sound on speaker phone, crystal clear on sound using the phone.

I now love my treo.

PS I never had 1 reset so I cant tell you about that part...
    I have noticed increased instability with the phone application. Using the old firmware I rarely had a reboot while running Phone, it seems now I've had 3 reboots cause of the Phone application.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    I have noticed increased instability with the phone application. Using the old firmware I rarely had a reboot while running Phone, it seems now I've had 3 reboots cause of the Phone application.
    Dial ##ERR and it will list the app running during the last reboot. Could be an app that traps something and not the phone app.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Get the Scala 500 it works great with the new update
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    My memory is everybit as efficient as it was with my 600
    I'm not talking about YOUR memory, I'm talking about the Treo 650's memory. After this most recent update, you are still getting wasted memory with the 32 byte chunks while the Treo 600 has a neat and trim chunk that is fitted to whatever size the piece of particular data is at. I will admit, it is better than the 512 byte chunks but realize this memory issue is receding in the technological benefits as compared to the older Treo 600.

...and what is this crap?

http://www.trovacase.com/smontatobatteria.jpg

This phone could be a full quarter inch thinner if they didn't have this stupid detachable battery. Or at least design the detachable battery like every other phone that has one and make it part of the exterior of the phone, not burying it inside with a whole sepearate lid that wastes space. Just look at all that wasted space... IN ADDITION TO THE LID.

OK, I'm done... for a couple of minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    The file system changes are about as old a discussion as there is. The update has provided more space and P1 already gave free 128MB SD cards to people before the update. But even a free car would not be enough for some .

Patches for things like Bluetooth DUN are in the works. Better that they addressed the issues the discontent 20% complained about most first.
    Yeah, boy, they're really on top of things too... with that update coming in such a timely matter a half year later after it hit the stores. They should have the Bluetooth update in... well, in time for the Super Bowl anyway.

A company with revenue up 18% is pretty far from being desperate.
    I wasn't talking about Palm, I was talking about the users of the Treo 650

Of course if you have some major issues with P1 there are plenty of other devices out there for you to choose from .
    Yeah, I know. I'm happy with my Treo 600, even if it is yesterdays technology.

Yesterday's technology is better than yesteryear's technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie

http://www.trovacase.com/smontatobatteria.jpg

This phone could be a full quarter inch thinner if they didn't have this stupid detachable battery. Or at least design the detachable battery like every other phone that has one and make it part of the exterior of the phone, not burying it inside with a whole sepearate lid that wastes space. Just look at all that wasted space... IN ADDITION TO THE LID.
    Just to hammer this home, in thinking about this, for all of 2 minutes, if the detachable battery was used like other manufacturers do it, they would in effect not have to design a cover, the battery itself would be the cover. That would conserve even more space, in addition to all the plastic fitting.

OK, I am done now. I probably should not have even brought this up here.

Sorry.
    The Sprint Updater worked like a charm! I did exactly what the palmOne site instructed. No hard reset required. Definitely cleared up memory, and the sound is slightly better too. I did not previously have any problems with Versamail, so I can't really tell what the difference is. The whole process takes about 10-15 minutes. It was worth it just to get additional memory. Anything else is bonus, as far as I'm concerned.
  12.    #32  
    So archie, you're not even a T650 owner, but you just come around to troll.

Well since you've missed it before let me show you again how many of us would like to be in your shoes.
    Used to have one. To many problems. Sent it back, wasn't a consumer level product.
  14.    #34  
    Well archie, I could have lived without the removable battery (since I've got power access anywhere I go) and I could have lived without the new file system.

However we both have to accept that most people really did want a removable battery and not risk losing any data during battery changes or other loses of power. That made using NVFS a must. So PalmOne did give consumers exactly what they wanted. And most of us are satified. They could have put more memory on board but they told everyone the specs going in. Plus they've offered a SD card in addition to the patch. So they've taken what I consider to be reasonable efforts to address any memory issues.
    My experience is mixed, but overall Im happy.
    -Went from 7MB to 14MB
    -Not one crash or reset at all (before had two to three a day)
    -Sound quality declined. Had to turn the volume all the way down when using my headset and about halfway when not using it. Now I need to turn it up halfway on the headset and all the when not using it (and its still not loud enough).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12