Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I'm new to the Palm world and have been soaking up information from this site right and left. Could someone please explain the benefits of using wi-fi or DUN on the treo 650. I see lots of information on these topics, but no general information on what use you either of them for.

So far, I've strictly relied on the Sprint Vision Network to provide internet access, which seems to work great. I also have used VersaMail to connect to my email accounts...although still working through a port issue for my Exhange Server.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
    My understanding is that DUN is useful if you want to use your Treo as a cellular modem for your laptop. You can't use the GPRS or EDGE connection to passthrough bandwidth to the laptop.

From what I hear, WiFi will give you significantly faster data rates than GPRS or EDGE. It's also useful for people who want use their Treo's to access private LAN's that are not accessible over the internet (such as the LAN at their work).
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Folks who are on a pay-as-you-go data plan would also benefit from being able to use a free WiFi hotspot.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    benefit from being able to use a free WiFi hotspot.
    nothing is free. someone, somewhere, somehow, is bearing an economic cost.
    Most of the places I go that have free wifi are cafes and the like. I tend to presume that their cost for providing the service is built in to the cost of the drinks and/or food, and make sure to buy stuff if I'm going to be soaking up their bandwidth.

At any rate, to answer the original question: Why DUN? To use a laptop in an environment *without* WiFi to get data access. Why Wifi? To use the data apps of a smartphone at a higher data rate and without per-minute charges.
    Basically you can use your phones internet connection to give..say your laptop..an internet connection.
    Example- you are in a cabin with not phone jack or high speed internet cable. How do you get your laptop (which of course is 1000 times better as an internet device compared to the 2" screen, limited browser on your treo)onto the internet? No way to connect right?
    Wrong! So long as you have cel coverage and dun or wifi....you have a connection.

P.S- I'm not sure why you'd be in a cabin with your laptop..but that's another story
    I used DUN just a few days after I took delivery of my 650. My wife went into hospital overnight, and I stayed there wuth her. No internet or analog phone connection of any kind, but I was able to work from the hospital room thanks to DUN.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Don't they frown on cell phone usage in hospitals?
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by busyba
    Don't they frown on cell phone usage in hospitals?
    Not anymore
    You cannot use a cell phone in the OR, though...
    I use it on the train, sometimes.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by pughmat
    I'm new to the Palm world and have been soaking up information from this site right and left. Could someone please explain the benefits of using wi-fi or DUN on the treo 650. I see lots of information on these topics, but no general information on what use you either of them for.

So far, I've strictly relied on the Sprint Vision Network to provide internet access, which seems to work great. I also have used VersaMail to connect to my email accounts...although still working through a port issue for my Exhange Server.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

wi-fi is currently faster than data services available for the treo 650. DUN allows web access on a much larger screen. plus the puny browser can't handle all the sites out there. hulk sometimes want to smash puny browser.
    Very simply, 650 is better for being on the go, yet can't fully utilize the possibilities of the internet like a laptop can.