Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I commute from Canada to the US for work every day. I have two service providers, Rogers for Canada and Cingular for US. I currently have no way to check my corporate email since OWA doesnt work with the Treo and there is no public IMAP port available (that I know of). Our company uses GoodLink as a push solution. So my questions are;

Can goodlink be used with multiple phone numbers on the same phonen (ie my canadian and US accounts)?

With goodlink can you build criteria into the phone telling it when to and when not to push? Can I tell goodlink not to push to an account if it is roaming?

What happens with a push if the phone is off, does it push once the phone is turned on or do you lose the changes?

Can I use "pull" with goodlink rather than push; can I fetch mail instead of having it pushed to me?

Does anyone have a suggested configuration or setup given my situation?

Any advice would be appreciated,
    E44
    Last edited by Enzo44; 03/22/2005 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo44

Can goodlink be used with multiple phone numbers on the same phonen (ie my canadian and US accounts)?

Hmm..Good question. I tend to think no since when an administrator creates a GoodLink account, the phone number and ESN number of the device are used to create the account. Let me check, though

With goodlink can you build criteria into the phone telling it when to and when not to push? Can I tell goodlink not to push to an account if it is roaming?
    No. You can disable the data connection by working offline, then renable it when you are out of roaming, but that is a manual work around. There isn't an option to enable this automatically. If roaming is a major issue, you can set the phone itself not to allow roaming, which will disable voice and data connections when in roam mode.

What happens with a push if the phone is off, does it push once the phone is turned on or do you lose the changes?
    When you turn the phone back on, you will receive all of your emails in the order (with the Exchange time stamp) on your device

Can I use "pull" with goodlink rather than push; can I fetch mail instead of having it pushed to me?
    No. The phone doesn't control anything as it simply "mirrors" Exchange. Whenever there is activity on your Exchange server, it will push out to your device, provided you are in coverage.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you GoodGuy,

This brings me to another question. How does all of this effect battery drain, or not, and why?

You answered no to the pull but it appears by the answer to the question above that one that I could do a manual pull by setting the application to work offline until I want to "pull" down changes. At that point I could set to work online wait for the changes and then set back to offline. Is that correct?

E44
    Well..I guess you could kinda call it pull since no data will be transferred until you re-enable the data connection. With the data connection off, you will not receive, nor send, any email and nothing will synchronize. Battery life will increase using this method.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Well..I guess you could kinda call it pull since no data will be transferred until you re-enable the data connection. With the data connection off, you will not receive, nor send, any email and nothing will synchronize. Battery life will increase using this method.

Battery life will increase? What battery drain should one expect using the standard "push" method?

Thanks,
    E44
    There is no set number for battery use as it all depends on Exchange activity, phone use, coverage, etc.
    Great to see a Goodlink guy here!

No. You can disable the data connection by working offline, then renable it when you are out of roaming, but that is a manual work around. There isn't an option to enable this automatically. If roaming is a major issue, you can set the phone itself not to allow roaming, which will disable voice and data connections when in roam mode.
    Do you mean that you can disable data in the goodlink application only, or disable data for the entire phone?

Also here are some additional questions:

* Is the goodlink contacts database the same one as the builtin palm database? I'm thinking no, since goodlink gets its data from exchange. In this case, is it recommended to not syncronize the address book anymore once goodlink is installed and just use the goodlink contacts instead?
    Both contacts databases have the same contacts, so in effect the data is duplicated on my Treo.. (?)

* Can goodlink run off of the SD card in any way? the apps or at least its databases?
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by CySurflex
    Great to see a Goodlink guy here!

Do you mean that you can disable data in the goodlink application only, or disable data for the entire phone?
    Disable data (and voice for that matter) on the phone by disallowing roaming.

Also here are some additional questions:

* Is the goodlink contacts database the same one as the builtin palm database? I'm thinking no, since goodlink gets its data from exchange. In this case, is it recommended to not syncronize the address book anymore once goodlink is installed and just use the goodlink contacts instead?
    Both contacts databases have the same contacts, so in effect the data is duplicated on my Treo.. (?)
    GoodLink uses it's own contact database. On the 650, you have access to the Palm native database, though the phone contacts are tied into the Good contacts. You can hotsync the address book from the Palm desktop to update the palm desktop. If your Outlook contacts and Palm contacts are the same, there is no need to hotsync as when the Outlook contacts are updated, they will be updated on the Treo.

* Can goodlink run off of the SD card in any way? the apps or at least its databases?
    No
    I've got a question that has been nagging some of my users... is there any way to sync contact subfolders with goodlink?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor11
    I've got a question that has been nagging some of my users... is there any way to sync contact subfolders with goodlink?
    No. You can create public contact folders and you could restrict access to those folders to certain users. We should have support for categories in an upcoming release. I am hearing early Summer.
  11.    #11  
    GoodGuy,

Any answer yet on the ability to use the service over two seperate SIMs on one phone? I contacted sales today and was told that this was possible since the "device" is what is being pushed to, not the phone number. But then on a subsequent call with another CSR the answer to this was unclear.

-E44
    E44..

When you switch SIM cards, you will need to reprovision the phone. To do this:

Go to the GoodLink Home Screen

type 'debug' without the quotes

at the command prompt, type 'reprov' again without the quotes, and the return key

follow the steps. To repopulate your folders:

go to the GoodLink Home Screen

type the word 'debug' without quotes
    you will get a command prompt
    type 'fetch 1000 inbox:*' again without quotes, and hit the return key

this will populate all of your folders. If you have more than 1000 emails to move, you can do it multiple times.
  13.    #13  
    E44..

When you switch SIM cards, you will need to reprovision the phone. To do this:

Go to the GoodLink Home Screen

type 'debug' without the quotes

at the command prompt, type 'reprov' again without the quotes, and the return key

follow the steps. To repopulate your folders:

go to the GoodLink Home Screen

type the word 'debug' without quotes
    you will get a command prompt
    type 'fetch 1000 inbox:*' again without quotes, and hit the return key

this will populate all of your folders. If you have more than 1000 emails to move, you can do it multiple times.

So each time I remove the SIM, or swap SIMs, my data is removed from my phone and I have to do this? Or is this a one time thing? I am confused.

-E44
    Each time you swap SIM cards, you will need to reprovision.
    I just upgraded my version of Goodlink to 4.0 and my SMS capability on my Treo is screwed up. Whenever I try to send a message, my phone reboots. The only new factor is the upgrade to Goodlink. Any thoughts?
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Have not heard that one. What phone and carrier?
    Treo 650, Sprint.
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
  18. djc
    haven't had that problem here with Goodlink 4.0 and Sprint 650
    Nobody has heard of that issue happening before, so I tend to think it is something else causing the error
    Very Good to have a Good Guy here. I'd really appreciate some help with this, or at least a sense of whether Good is working on it:

My company has all its bigshots on Cingular Treo 650s with Goodlink. I have a user who gets a lot of Japanese emails (he's Japanese), and they show up as gibberish in Goodlink, though they're fine in Outlook (i.e. my Exchange server supports the Japanese Katakana/Kanji characters no prob). As a temporary (but very sloppy and a bit expensive) workaround, I have an Exchange server rule that checks for common Japanese characters, and forwards these to a separate POP account that the user then syncs to by using Snapper Mail (Versamail can't handle Japanese characters either). Snappermail works fine with Japanese as long as J-OS (a Japanese character hack for Palm OS) is installed. Problems are, there's duplication of messages between Good and Snapper, he has to check both separately, and he can't access his contacts from Snapper.

What I'd really like is for Goodlink to support Japanese characters, either natively or by supporting whatever fonts the Palm OS can handle. Are there any fixes available for this (I imagine my guy isn't the only businessman doing business with Japan who's like to use Goodlink...) , or is there any version of Goodlink coming up that will take care of this?

Thanks a lot. I really recommend Good look at foreign character support if it's not already doing so. It's a bit deal for many companies working internationally.

Paolo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast