Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Hello

I was searching for an answer for my question using the "search" option of this forum but with no results, so I am obliged to open a specific thread for anyone who could answer.

As all of you may notice, over the signal of field (the five incrementing sticks), when the gprs connection is disconneted, a small black triangle appears, and this will happen when a gprs connection is avaiable.

Can I avoid this triangle?In other words, searching always the best gprs connection avaiable would cost me battery and increase radiation emission (that my old VGA PC Monitor and my old desktop phone will not like so much, maybe as my leg near the treo pocket!), can I switch down this searching (the triangle) making it just on demand, as it is for other smartphones as SonyEricsson p910i or Nokia 9500?(I am not talking to estabilish a connection, just the searching of a gprs signal).

Excuse me for errors (I am an european user) and maybe a silly question.

Thank you

Nicola
    I'm not aware of any way to disable that indicator. However, as far as I'm aware, the presence of it does not indicate that your Treo is doing any extra "searching" or putting out any extra radiation. As I understand it, the presence of a GPRS service is indicated by the GSM carrier as part of the normal background "chatter" that takes place between your phone and the local tower, so there is no extra RF communication involved unless you actually start to use the data service.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    First of all thank you.
    I mentioned RF exposure because I have notice that when I am calling with a desk phone or I am near a Monitor, even if I am not gprs connected or calling with the T650, I have some "interference signal". This is a thing that I have never had with other phone except when I had this kind of "triangle" on in my old ericssons phones,disappearing when I switch off the gprs signal.
    That's it
    Has someone else some suggestions?
    Thanks
    My old GSM phone would produce burst of interference such as you describe, from time to time. That was 6-7 years ago, long before GPRS - it's simply the phone and the tower "touching base" with each other from time to time. But you're right, the interference becomes much greater if there is voice or data traffic.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    My old GSM phone would produce burst of interference such as you describe, from time to time. That was 6-7 years ago, long before GPRS - it's simply the phone and the tower "touching base" with each other from time to time. But you're right, the interference becomes much greater if there is voice or data traffic.
    I agree with jetkins. I have both Rogers Wireless (triangle) and Fido Wireless (no triangle) services. Both experience some kind of interference when my Treo is near a land line phone, more noticeable near a cordless phone, without GPRS connection.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Anyone else?