1.    #1  
    Why can't someone come out with a simple doc viewer/editor with a nice conduit that automatically deposits documents in a specified folder and uploads, to the visor, documents placed in a special folder. Is that too much to ask. I tried SmartDOC, but all that goofy stuff about distributing and NetMarks is way to complicated. I mean URLs, what is this, the internet??!!!

S.O.S.

french-fry
    If I'm not mistaken, the author of pEdit has said he will be looking into a conduit in the future. I agree that a simple way to upload and download DOC's with the ability to edit (and format?) on the Visor would be great!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    That is exactly what is needed .. I think the conduit should have the following functions:

1. Specify a folder on the computer to sync with

2. In the specified folder, it will automatically create subfolders that corrospond to categories inside the application.

3. When hotsync'd, the conduit will copy changed documents between the computer and palm. The documents would automatically be converted from the DOC format to probably RTF (rich text format).

4. Documents can then be easily opened in an application such as WordPad or Word and modified at the PC. They can be resaved and will automatically be sync'd with the Palm.

Maybe we could come up with a comphrensive list of specs that we think the conduit would require and then send the ideas to the author(s) of pedit, smartdoc, etc...

Joe
    Landware's TakeNote does at least some of what you are looking for. Simply drag a text file to their desktop folder and it will be converted and sucked into your visor onthe next sync. Works in the other direction by plucking the desired file out of the desktop folder and putting into MS word for example.

I forget how much it costs, but I got my copy free with my GoType! keyboard.

John
    Originally posted by Cerulean
    ...a comphrensive list of specs...
    In addition to the conduit, the handheld editor would need to support the following:
    [list=1][*]Basic character formatting - bold, italic, and underline (in multiple combinations as well) (basic font selection would be nice, too)[*]Basic paragraph formatting (line spacing, tab stops, etc)[*]Basic page formatting (page breaks, margins, "virtual" width on the handheld), etc)[*]Basic header/footer (page numbers, date, etc)[*]Basic mainstream desktop file-format support (RTF?)[/list=1]I use the term basic because I realize the PalmOS and handheld form-factor do not lend themselves to full-fledged word processing (i.e. MS Word).

For now, though, I'd settle for just the conduit Cerulean talks about... I'll format on the desktop for publication.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by MarkEagle

In addition to the conduit, the handheld editor would need to support the following:
    [list=1][*]Basic character formatting - bold, italic, and underline (in multiple combinations as well) (basic font selection would be nice, too)[*]Basic paragraph formatting (line spacing, tab stops, etc)[*]Basic page formatting (page breaks, margins, "virtual" width on the handheld), etc)[*]Basic header/footer (page numbers, date, etc)[*]Basic mainstream desktop file-format support (RTF?)[/list=1]I use the term basic because I realize the PalmOS and handheld form-factor do not lend themselves to full-fledged word processing (i.e. MS Word).
    TakeNote and Iambic Reader in combination provide all that except the page footer/header stuff.

It would be nice if IR supported editing, but you can use it as a previewer just fine.
    Rev. Peter da Silva, ULC<br>
    <a href=http://www.taronga.com/~peter/>Ar rug tú barróg ar do mhactíre inniu?</a>
    I am assuming that when typing notes using the TakeNote/Iambic Reader combo, I'd be using HTML syntax in my notes ... correct? I tried that just using memopad, and I found that it not only disrupts the flow of note taking but also makes it more difficult to read notes using the editor when having to modify the notes. Given the fact that various readers can display different fonts/sizes/bold/italic/etc..etc.. I still don't understand why there is no editors that have extended that functionaility..

However, after looking at the TakeNote specs, it sounds like a great combination of features compared to pedit/smartdoc ..

Joe
    Yes, you'd need to mark up the text in HTML. I work on web pages in plain text all the time, and with a little practice and careful layout you can get good results with minimal noise.

Ten years ago most books were marked up this way. Twenty years ago this was how you did everything. Oh, yes, you had markup like "\fItext\fR" or "\it{text}" instead of "<I>text</I>".

It's a pity HTML doesn't provide full SGML semantics. The shortcut syntax "<I/text/" is less obtrusive.
    <a href=http://www.taronga.com/~peter/>Ar rug tú barróg ar do mhactíre inniu?</a>
    Yeah .. but that was 10 or 20 years ago .. I like my ctrl-b for bold and ctrl-i for italics. . hheheh.. Granted, using HTML it definitely a fesible workaround, but it still seems rather strange to me that the editors haven't implimented basic formatting natively like the readers have..

In anycase, I am glad you brought up Takenote .. For some reason I kinda disregarded it as an option but it does seem to be a well rounded editor.. Now if it just had an option to integrate with NOAH for spell checking ...

Joe
    I don't understand this reluctance to work directly with the markup. That's one thing I miss from Word Perfect... it let you edit the markup directly, in parallel with the resulting text, so you could get rid of all the redundant tags. I've had to edit the HTML Word produces, with all those extra redundant tags buried in the text, and it's obvious why Word documents are many times the size of the plain text equivalent.

In a machine like the Palm, who can afford that bloat?
    Sure .. I understand where your coming from with trying to optimize the codes .. That was a great feature of WordPerfect -- especially when you were unsure why something was occuring, your able to get to the source a LOT quicker and correct the error or recode the content differently .. (when coding websites, I do the same thing .. work between code and a GUI)

However, a reason why I am against this method in note taking is the simple fact that I don't want to be looking at tags when taking/reading notes in the editor. I'd really like to beable to hit something like cmd-H for headers and have the header type style instantly appear (maybe a few points bigger and bold..) then I could hit another combo (maybe cmd-S) for sub headers (maybe a point size smaller than a header, slightly indented and bold) -- then the remaining text would just be normal...

When having tags that are integrated into the editor (instead of phrased by an external reader..) I would then have (hopefully) the option of only viewing headers (kinda like a bookmark) and having the editor instantly go to that section so I can read, edit or add additional notes.

It just seems rather strange that readers have a lot of options for displaying a variety of text styles simultaneously while editors don't have the versitility ..
    Maybe the guys programming the editors is the wrong crowd to really push this idea of a more sophisticated editor -- readers already have categories, support for DOC format, support for formatting, etc.. just add some editing functionaility and it would be a killer app..

I hope you can see the angle that I am coming from .. granted, for creating a document here or there, the use of html code and a separate reader would be adaquate. However, when taking notes in a high-pace university setting, 4 or 5 hours a day, 5 days a week -- streamlining the process of converting the lecture to easy to read, easy to navigate notes is extremely important. I feel that if a developer took this project and ran with it, it would be extremely successful.

Joe
    Program the headers and stuff in shortcut keys.

(shortcut)H --> <H1> </H1>
    (shortcut)S --> <H2> </H2>
    (shortcut)B --> <B> </B>

Personally I prefer to see the markup all the time.

You might want to contact the author of DocVis/Iambic Reader, he seems pretty clueful, and responsive to suggestions.
    The shortcut idea sounds like a great idea. Forgot about that .. I plan to email a couple different authors to see if they have plans for the mentioned features.. This topic does seem to come up quite often on VisorCentral..

Joe