Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Bark, I really don't care that you don't believe me. But the differential is a lot different from your "buy 1" pricing example for some cases which I have seen. You're not even considering deals offered by wireless phone companies to large corporate buyers.
    Can you really be this big an *****? Apparently you are suggesting that the Symbian OS phone suppliers don't offer "deals"?!?!?!? Or PalmOne for that matter. That this is some unique capability of RIM? Again, discounts and "deals" improve with SCALE. I must admit, I have heard that Microsoft NEVER offers deals to big customers (note to OTHER forum guests: please help Darnell locate the sarcasm in this comment.)

And why would a company buy a Cellphone AND Blackberry when the 7750 has a phone built in? Maybe you don't know much about Blackberries.
    Actually, YOU were the 2 device guy (although I am pretty sure you've forgotten that already); so option 2 was YOUR scenario--you know, the CHEAPER one.

The point of presenting such ACTUAL information as the readily available pricing on the 7750 and the 650 is that YOU apparently think the 7750 can be implemented more cheaply...you just can't seem to show HOW, given the whole BES and additional CAL costs, etc.

But I can confirm one thing: I don't know much at all about Blackberries--they have always been too expensive, and we have found Exchange Activesync the more practical and cost-effective solution. In fact, we will hopefully be evaluating some Symbian OS devices before the end of the year.
  2.    #42  
    Maybe if you realized that someone with knowledge about this has seen deals you've obviously never seen we might agree on something.

Meet Darnell....

Darnell Bond
    Quote Originally Posted by barky81
    You clearly don't rely on or have much experience with the Exchange Activesync functionality, and that obviously makes it difficult for you to see the competitive issues involved.
    This kind of statement shows how arrogant you are. You're fun to be around I bet. So only people who know Exchange Activesync are capable of understanding all the magnificent stuff youre talking about. Get a grip. Youre not the smartest guy in the world. And clearly not even the smartest guy here.

I am beginning to wonder if you and SoufSidah are the same obnoxious ***** with two different names. He talks the same arrogant crap as you.

I wonder is the 81 in your name the year you were born? Would explain a lot.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Thanks barky for posting the smartest and most informed posts about the future of the treo 650. It is truly awesome that you grace us with your presence.

Seriously though, get over yourself. All you are doing is guessing. And for the most part no one cares. We dont expect the 650 to be the big thing in a year, just like the 600 isnt now. You act like your staement about the 650 is a revelation. Funny.

Come back in a year and tell us how smart you are. Until then your just another loudmouth with an opinion, not facts. If you've got facts, post the links. Until then give us a break.
    Seriously, I didn't mean to embarrass you over that whole Financial Calculator thing...

Oh, and about the links, I have posted a bunch in this thread...heck, I started the thread with a posted link. Of course, given that you haven't bothered to read any of them (apparently you haven't even NOTICED them!)

You know, this thread started with a very timely post of a very recent (today) news announcement. Sorry you don't like it when people do that kind of thing. We are all warned.
    Seriously, I didn't mean to embarrass you over that whole Financial Calculator thing...

Oh, and about the links, I have posted a bunch in this thread...heck, I started the thread with a posted link. Of course, given that you haven't bothered to read any of them (apparently you haven't even NOTICED them!)

You know, this thread started with a very timely post of a very recent (today) news announcement. Sorry you don't like it when people do that kind of thing. We are all warned.
    Boy youre some piece of work. Arrogant and insulting. 81 has to be the year you were born. Someone a little older would have some respect for others whether they disagreed or not.

read your link. it was an announcement about Symbian as you said. It doesnt prove the downfall of the 650. Thats your opinion. That doesnt make it fact.

It must suck being such a small person.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  6.    #46  
    This kind of statement shows how arrogant you are. You're fun to be around I bet. So only people who know Exchange Activesync are capable of understanding all the magnificent stuff youre talking about. Get a grip. Youre not the smartest guy in the world. And clearly not even the smartest guy here...

Seriously, dude, the thread...FROM THE VERY BEGINNING...has been ABOUT Exchange Activesync. The comment you so dislike was directed at someone who at one point in this thread suggested he knew a lot about the subject, and then later, suggested he has nothing to do with it.

I have been rather specific concerning my own experience with Exchange Activesync within this thread, and equally relevant, I have made extensive prior postings on the subject in these forums.

I have repeatedly requested (both in the forums and via direct e-mail) that the forum managers provide a separate space for discussion of the Exchange Activesync functionality so that we could avoid offending all you "Treophisticats" (well actually so we could draw attention to the issues).

Of course, you won't believe that last statement, and worse, probably won't bother to review my past posts to check (if you did you would find that it was actually true).

But hey, I am okay with that.
    Last edited by barky81; 03/23/2005 at 12:49 AM. Reason: coding issue--I keep screwing up the quote blocks!
  7.    #47  
    Boy youre some piece of work. Arrogant and insulting...
    Yes, you come into a thread JUST to start insulting someone, and then complain. Rich.

But not "rich" as in "money"; I mean "rich" as in "imagination."
    And how many corprate customers use Symbian?

Can your crystal ball do lottery numbers too?
    Are these "official" nails carrying the Symbian or Microsoft Exchange logo? I mean if they are official that have to have some sort of logo right?

Can you post a pic? That would be really cool.
    Ok barky, these are my first two posts in this thread. Where's the insult?

The Symbian question was partly serious. I was hoping you could enlighten us as to how many Symbian users there were. If it was a huge number, then your theory might have some weight.

The crystal ball comment was a joke. No sense of humor I guess. But that is all you doing is gazing into a crystal ball and guessing what the outcome might be.

You use the word official in the wrong context and I made fun of you for it. Again no sense of humor. There's nothing official about your opinion.

The pic is obviously another joke.

Youre clearly taking yourself pretty seriously. You cannot possibly know for certain the outcome of your posted article. That was all I was saying. You post like your word is official and it's not, and then you attack people for not knowing as much as you think you do. Notice how no one agreed with you.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    "First nail?" Time will tell...

Meantime, the Palm OS simply can't be beat for flexibility - so many people develop Palm software that you find find pretty much anything you want, which is still not true for any other PIM and/or phone OS. Maybe this will change over time, maybe not.
    Except a way to hot-sync csv files now that palm removed the feature from current & future versions of hotsync. It *should* be a pretty simple thing, but I've searched & searched, and can't find any replacement for the functionality.

On one hand they adopt Linux as their base, that's great, and at the same time they drop such a beutifully useful function that's been there such a long time that people now rely on it... grr... *sigh*
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
  10.    #50  
    Ok barky, these are my first two posts in this thread. Where's the insult?
    Setting aside the fact that I responded appropriately to your first posts at THAT TIME (they're on the first page of the thread). I will humor your new request for enlightenment...

The Symbian question was partly serious. I was hoping you could enlighten us as to how many Symbian users there were. If it was a huge number, then your theory might have some weight.
    "Partly serious"!?!?! It just means you did NOT bother to read the link posted in the original message you responded to--you know, the one that started this thread. Of course, perhaps you simply couldn't grasp the content, but here are direct quotes from the linked (one brief page) PRPRPR $announcement$:

"Symbian
    "With an installed base of more than 25 million Symbian OS phones and more than 14 m Symbian OS phones having shipped to more than 200 network operators in 2004...
    "

That one was in BOLD and highlighted over a light blue background!

"Symbian licenses Symbian OS to the world's leading handset manufacturers. The following Symbian OS licensees have Symbian OS-based mobile phones in production and / or in development: Arima, BenQ, Fujitsu for NTT DoCoMo FOMA, LG, Lenovo, Mitsubishi, Motorola, Nokia, Panasonic, Sendo, Sharp, Siemens, Samsung and Sony Ericsson. In 2004, over 14 million Symbian OS-based mobile phones were sold worldwide and more than 25 million have been sold to date. "

Now, granted that last one is toward the bottom of the article, under the heading "About Symbian", so maybe you missed it due to the distraction of a passing butterfly or something...but really, looking at it again, here, now, as if for the first time, and concentrating on, oh, I don't know, the LAST SENTENCE, see if you can now answer your "partly serious" question.

"Where's the insult?" The insult lies in your obsessive need to clutter up threads with irrelevant, uninformed posts. I have to stop now, I am about to start repeating the content of my original replies (instead, I simply refer you to them).

The crystal ball comment was a joke. No sense of humor I guess. But that is all you doing is gazing into a crystal ball and guessing what the outcome might be.
    Better a crystal ball than your lint-filled navel (oops, that might be a little harsh; I apologize). Seriously, I was making rather specific comments about a rather specific piece of industry news. Why don't you spend your time more productively deriding the other active posters who spent the past 2 weeks guessing when the Update would be released.

I am sorry you didn't care for my initial post of news and my interpretation of its meaning. I don't think that means you have the right to tell me I am not allowed to post it. Or do you?

You use the word official in the wrong context and I made fun of you for it. Again no sense of humor. There's nothing official about your opinion.

The pic is obviously another joke.
    Wow, just really, all I can say is WOW. I grant you I could have put quotes around the word "official" (<--like that), but really, I didn't realize that I would confuse you or anyone else into believing I was talking about OFFICIAL COFFIN NAILS (which until your helpful posts, I did not know existed). The "official" referred to the fact that I was posting ACTUAL, CREDIBLE NEWS with a link (say it with me, now, WITH A LINK). The "opinion" part comes in with my interpretation of the potential impact of that NEWS.

Now, I would even go so far as to ascribe a certain nobility (oh, wait, let me put quotes around that "nobility" before you get the wrong idea that I might be "officially" knighting you or something) to your apparently self-assigned task of policing thread subject lines. But you have far too much work to do in these forums to waste so much effort on this one solitary thread. My champion, I "command" you, go forth, and correct others!

Youre clearly taking yourself pretty seriously. You cannot possibly know for certain the outcome of your posted article. That was all I was saying. You post like your word is official and it's not, and then you attack people for not knowing as much as you think you do. Notice how no one agreed with you.
    Another interpretation might be that others simply digested the information, grasped the content of the link, made an internal evaluation to agree or disagree with my thoughts, and moved on. Or, they might even have read some of the ridiculously uninformed posts that followed from others (you, for example) and (wisely) decided that this was yet another hijacked thread, and so, didn't bother.

In any event, I do understand that according to "your" "crystal" "ball", you can tell no one agreed with me.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Allow me to digress a little bit since this thread is going no where fast...

I recently left a company that used both Blackberries/BES and MS ActiveSync devices. There was a much greater appeal to phase out the Blackberries and move towards ActiveSync-enabled devices because the Blackberry devices were more expensive (the cost of ownership was much higher), and they were more difficult to support.

Now, with Symbian devices entering the market with this functionality, the appeal towards ActiveSync-enabled devices is much greater. The truth is, most professionals and executives are looking for a device that just "works", which is why Blackberry's are so appealing, but again, the cost of ownership is much higher.

Symbian devices, unlike the Treo line, have a long-time history of "just working". But they have always been a harder sell to corporations because they haven't, until now, incorporated an ActiveSync or "push-like" email functionality into their devices.

So, to recap, I think Symbian has the potential of growing their customer base by now offering technologies that corporations are looking for. Time will only tell if their integration is any better than palm's, but based on past history, I would put my money on Symbian.

Oh, and I happen to like the year 1981
    Last edited by spiVeyx; 03/23/2005 at 10:44 AM.
    yunno it's fun to respond to you just to see how much condescending arrogant crap continues to spew out of your mouth. At least youre consistent. You must be really fun to hang around with. Do you constantly tell your friends how smart you are? Of course I am giving you the benefit of the doubt on the friend thing.

Setting aside the fact that I responded appropriately to your first posts at THAT TIME (they're on the first page of the thread). I will humor your new request for enlightenment...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woof
    And how many corprate customers use Symbian?

Can your crystal ball do lottery numbers too?
    Quote Originally Posted by barky81 response
    You know, asking stupid questions is kinda like saying, "hey, I'm stupid."

But since you clearly are NOT stupid, how about you give us the breakdown of corporate handset usage.

In the meantime, I'll go out on a limb and say:

More corporate customers are using Symbian os phones than Treos. Do you agree or disagree?
    So calling me stupid was appropriate? I hadnt read the link at that point. Why couldnt you have jsut given a number instead of being a jerk. I didnt read the link because I knew the article wouldnt say "this is the official death of the 650"

Now, granted that last one is toward the bottom of the article, under the heading "About Symbian", so maybe you missed it due to the distraction of a passing butterfly or something...but really, looking at it again, here, now, as if for the first time, and concentrating on, oh, I don't know, the LAST SENTENCE, see if you can now answer your "partly serious" question.
    Funny, you should write for tv.

"Where's the insult?" The insult lies in your obsessive need to clutter up threads with irrelevant, uninformed posts. I have to stop now, I am about to start repeating the content of my original replies (instead, I simply refer you to them).
    Wow are you easily insulted or what. Did you cry? Maybe next time you should post criteria for those wanting to respond to your vastly informative posts so we dont waste you valuable time. Yunno like "please dont post in my thread if you have a sense of humor because I sure dont and I'll get all sanctimonious on you." As your use of obsessive, are you a shrink too? Was that a free diagnosis?

Better a crystal ball than your lint-filled navel (oops, that might be a little harsh; I apologize). Seriously, I was making rather specific comments about a rather specific piece of industry news. Why don't you spend your time more productively deriding the other active posters who spent the past 2 weeks guessing when the Update would be released.
    Why? because I knew there would be an update. Your whole post is just conjecture. One person's opinion. Sure your article may have had factual information, but it didnt say anything about the 650.
    I am sorry you didn't care for my initial post of news and my interpretation of its meaning. I don't think that means you have the right to tell me I am not allowed to post it. Or do you?
    Please show me where I said arent allowed to post. I didnt. I do have the right to call bull**** on what I percieve as such whether you like it or not. Anyone here does and a few people in this thread surely did.

Wow, just really, all I can say is WOW. I grant you I could have put quotes around the word "official" (<--like that), but really, I didn't realize that I would confuse you or anyone else into believing I was talking about OFFICIAL COFFIN NAILS (which until your helpful posts, I did not know existed). The "official" referred to the fact that I was posting ACTUAL, CREDIBLE NEWS with a link (say it with me, now, WITH A LINK). The "opinion" part comes in with my interpretation of the potential impact of that NEWS.
    Mmmm official doesnt mean the same as credible. Why not say what you mean. Here maybe this will help.
    of·fi·cial
    1. Of or relating to an office or a post of authority: official duties.
    2. Authorized by a proper authority; authoritative: official permission.
    3. Holding office or serving in a public capacity: an official representative.
    4. Characteristic of or befitting a person of authority; formal: an official banquet.

So rereading your first post, official doesnt really apply.

Now, I would even go so far as to ascribe a certain nobility (oh, wait, let me put quotes around that "nobility" before you get the wrong idea that I might be "officially" knighting you or something) to your apparently self-assigned task of policing thread subject lines. But you have far too much work to do in these forums to waste so much effort on this one solitary thread. My champion, I "command" you, go forth, and correct others!
    More funny stuff. har har.

Another interpretation might be that others simply digested the information, grasped the content of the link, made an internal evaluation to agree or disagree with my thoughts, and moved on. Or, they might even have read some of the ridiculously uninformed posts that followed from others (you, for example) and (wisely) decided that this was yet another hijacked thread, and so, didn't bother.
    Ya because clearly what you were looking for here was a bunch of people responding with, "wow barky, you are so smart. Really impressive info. SInce youre so smart can you please tell us what the date will be when the 65o ceases to be a viable alternative? Thanks oh omnipotent one. Wow!"

Ok I am ready for your next insulting comment.

Back on topic. Nice article. Doesnt mean that the 650 will be killed off any sooner than it would be by it's own lifespan. I am fairly sure the next treo will do that before anything else comes along, but of course I have nothing offical or credible on which to base that. It's just my opinion.

Oh and how where you able to determine from any of my posts that I dont know anything about Exchange Activesync? I didnt make any comments about it one way or another. Do you claim some clairvoyance?
    — Ed Howdershelt
  13.    #53  
    Oh and how where you able to determine from any of my posts that I dont know anything about Exchange Activesync? I didnt make any comments about it one way or another. Do you claim some clairvoyance?
    This question alone serves to establish your level of sophistication on all such subjects. Much like the advanced features of the built-in financial calculator of the Treo 650, I also avail myself of this forum's "advanced search" functionality quite often. Too, I regularly review the past postings of individuals with whom I am "conversing" (Do I need to repeat the explanation of what those strange little ' " ' characters are?) so as to better understand their style of writing, their level and type of forum participation, the subjects they seek and provide help on, etc.

And usually, at some point in the "conversation" (as I previously did in this thread, to Darnell), I give them the chance to explicitly state their position/knowledge/etc. THEMSELVES.

*This* is YOUR chance: Do you know anything about Exchange Activesync? Have you ever used this functionality of your Treo 650? Do you or have you ever administered/implemented Exchange Server 2003 in a corporate environment, specifically supporting and providing over the air synchronization from Treo 650s (and/or any other devices) via Exchange Activesync? Flaunt the fallaciousness of my psuedo-clairvoyance!

It's shock and awe time, baby, so let'er rip...

But remember: If you actually choose to go the route of claiming knowledge, I will be inquiring as to its utter absence from the past 1,950 posts you've "reigned" (<--warning, woof: that's a verbal pun, don't get too close; they're kinda dangerous) down upon the gentle participants of these forums.

Then again, if you own up to your lack of knowledge...well then, just what would THAT mean?
    I am unsubscribing to this one.

Lllamadamadingdong!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  15.    #55  
    What *are* others saying? Editorial note: The following information is provided "as-is", without commentary or interpretation, not even handpuppets):

Well, in "Next Up, PalmSource Dev Con 2005", the folks at the podcast network's Mobiles Show are saying this:

"The Smartphone world is dominated by two two-horse battles. The Europeans have Microsoft vs Symbian, and North America has Microsoft vs PalmSource (Strangely both fights have the third contender threatening to get a foothold in the market in 2005)...."

Actually, YOU were the 2 device guy (although I am pretty sure you've forgotten that already); so option 2 was YOUR scenario--you know, the CHEAPER one.
    My situation is not typical. I choose 2 for my own reasons outside of licensing.

Most companies using something like a 7750 get along great with that one device.

Again you don't have to believe me. But in a year we will see who is right. I've seen guys like you come and go for years.
    This question alone serves to establish your level of sophistication on all such subjects. Much like the advanced features of the built-in financial calculator of the Treo 650, I also avail myself of this forum's "advanced search" functionality quite often. Too, I regularly review the past postings of individuals with whom I am "conversing" (Do I need to repeat the explanation of what those strange little ' " ' characters are?) so as to better understand their style of writing, their level and type of forum participation, the subjects they seek and provide help on, etc.
    I knew about the advance calculator functions. Played with them all. Didnt like the way the financial calc on the stock treo calc worked or the fact that there were no docs that I could find that made it sensible as compared to other financial calcs I have used. Pointing out it was there doesnt make you smarter. Am I also to assume you have read all my posts and that somehow makes you able to better understand me? Ya whatever. Now youre a shrink.
    And usually, at some point in the "conversation" (as I previously did in this thread, to Darnell), I give them the chance to explicitly state their position/knowledge/etc. THEMSELVES.
    Looked to me like you just accused darnell of being ignorant like everyone else.
    *This* is YOUR chance: Do you know anything about Exchange Activesync? Have you ever used this functionality of your Treo 650? Do you or have you ever administered/implemented Exchange Server 2003 in a corporate environment, specifically supporting and providing over the air synchronization from Treo 650s (and/or any other devices) via Exchange Activesync? Flaunt the fallaciousness of my psuedo-clairvoyance!
    Lol, funny how after acusing me of not knowing anything about Exchange Activesync, you now want to ask me if I do. And who cares if I have or not. It certainly isnt a requirement for calling BS on your prediction based on one pro-Symbian news article. You wouldnt believe me if I said I did anyway, so what difference does it make. And we are of course to assume because you imply that you have said knowledge that that makes you marter about treos than anyone else here. Is anyone here gushing about how impressed they are with you? hardly.

But remember: If you actually choose to go the route of claiming knowledge, I will be inquiring as to its utter absence from the past 1,950 posts you've "reigned" (<--warning, woof: that's a verbal pun, don't get too close; they're kinda dangerous) down upon the gentle participants of these forums.
    And if I say I know plenty its all bs because I have never mentioned it before? and you have read them all to make sure.
    Then again, if you own up to your lack of knowledge...well then, just what would THAT mean?
    It wouldnt mean anything because I can still say you are full of it for thinking you know more about where the market is going based on one article. You'll remember your use of the word official was the big problem with your post.

Thanks for the exchange, but I am bored with you. Must be my lack of intellect. I just can't keep up with you cause of all your networking and Exchange implementation and treo support experience. I'm just going to go play with my sticks and dirt now cause I just handle all the smart stuff you keep saying.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    My situation is not typical. I choose 2 for my own reasons outside of licensing.

Most companies using something like a 7750 get along great with that one device.

Again you don't have to believe me. But in a year we will see who is right. I've seen guys like you come and go for years.
    Careful darnell, youre probably not smart enough to talk to him.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    At this point we would do well to leave him to "bark" with himself.

I am just glad I was able to converse with the world's smartest person .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast