Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone moved from a Treo 650 (or 600) to a Blackberry device? Or vice-versa, BB > Treo?

After my Treo 600 dying & two aborted attempts to get a GSM 650 that worked w/o constant resets I'm thinking of going to the other side.

Comments?
    I'm right there with you. After having a 600 for a year and loving it, I made the mistake of "uograding" to the underpowered, under RAMed, and generally buggy 650. While I'd never get a blackberry because it's applications are limited, I'm within months of deciding to give a Pocket PC smart phone a go. If there are no additions to the Treo line this year (and all indications are that there will not be) then I' going Pocket PC for Christmas.
    Hard compromise. If you are purely an email/voice person then without question BB wins hands down. Hence Wall St complete adoption of the platform.....until now when the $ guys are looking for a more robust environment to really see and edit text/files, be able to work with desktop apps like MS Office (Docs to Go) and have an MP3 player to boot. Lots of folks on the boards have worked through their reset issues or at leat got them down to a dull roar (3-4/day) :-). Hopefully you have exhausted...(probably are exhausted) all avenues before making the jump.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    my treo ownz a blackberry. With my sprint business connection enterprise edition, I have push corporate email.
    I went from a Sprint Treo 600 to a Blackberry 7290 in January. I was 'kinda' forced to when I took a new job, and they ported my number from Sprint to AT&T. This was a horrible move. The Blackberry was so limited in terms of functionality, that I found myself not wanting to use it at all. The phone portion of it was dismal (hard to hear, etc).

I bit the bullet and bought myself the 650 (unlocked around $700) about 3 weeks ago (out of my own pocket). Popped the SIM in, gave customer service a call and told them about my new device, and no one in the new company has said a thing.

The TREO 650 is much better than the 600 and way better than the 7290.

james
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Being able to work with native excel and word is a big plus for me. Also to fix your resets, you should try and do a fresh install of the apps you really use. Also to fix the memory issue you should try a 1 gig card with powerrun. Works flawlessy for me. Ilike to see a BB pull off 2.024 gig worth of storage.
    Hmmm. I don't know about powerrun. I do love the excel and word access. Very cool. I'll have to check out powerrun. My main app is agendus. I love the todo portion of it, and missed that app the most when I went over to the crackberry.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jksanford
    Hmmm. I don't know about powerrun. I do love the excel and word access. Very cool. I'll have to check out powerrun. My main app is agendus. I love the todo portion of it, and missed that app the most when I went over to the crackberry.
    I answered that last message from my Treo so I wasn't able to provide a link as I usaully do. So as I was saying try Powerrun with a 1 or 2 gig SD card and memory issues should be a thing of the past. If you are at all like me I was kinda a heistant at first, but, I came around after using it for a minute or two.
    Thanks for the tip! I don't know how I missed reading about Powerrun!
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jksanford
    Thanks for the tip! I don't know how I missed reading about Powerrun!
    I did for 2 years or whenever the 600 came out till up to Dec. 2004, so don't fret.
    Check out ChatterEmail too for Blackberry-like push email onthe Treo (if you haven't already).
    Powerrun slows down the deivce though - takes a few extra seconds or so to open the apps.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I answered that last message from my Treo so I wasn't able to provide a link as I usaully do. So as I was saying try Powerrun with a 1 or 2 gig SD card and memory issues should be a thing of the past. If you are at all like me I was kinda a heistant at first, but, I came around after using it for a minute or two.
    Powerrun opens apps slowly and apps like Listpro and Splash Shopper do not SYNC with desktop when run from powerrun/sd card. Too bad
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    How does using PRPRPR $differ$ $from$ $just$ $moving$ $apps$ $to$ $SD$ $card$?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    How does using PRPRPR $differ$ $from$ $just$ $moving$ $apps$ $to$ $SD$ $card$?
    It does not. It just does it better. As does using LauncherX, or a few other thrid-party solutions.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I'm in IT and I have a number of clients that use Blackberries with their Blackberry Enterprise Server solution... and for email that solution is very impressive. When it came time for me to get a new cell phone (never having had any type of smartphone before) I instinctively bought a Blackberry (A 7290 from Cingular).

I found that the Enterprise Server is much nicer than the Desktop Redirector. With the Desktop Redirector the only thing that you can synchronize wirelessly is email. With the Enterprise Server you can wirelessly sync your calendar and contacts too. (You can still use the calendar and contacts with the desktop redirector, but you need to manually sync them with a cable). I didn't spend a lot of time with the blackberry, but it didn't appear to support multiple email accounts and multiple mail folders very well either. As near as I could tell it was possible to get messages from multiple sources, but it would dump them all into one big inbox on the blackberry (along with SMS and voice messages). There may be a way to change this, but I couldn't find it. In addition to email, I really wanted a mobile web browser and preferably the ability to use dial up networking with a connected laptop. The web browser on the blackberry I had supported HTML, but I found that there were a lot of pages that it choked on. Additionally it was fairly difficult (or at least annoying) to navigate a real web page with just a scroll wheel... you really need a touchscreen (or mouse). Luckily Cingular has a 30 day satisfaction policy and I was able to exchange my Blackberry for a Treo 650 and I haven't looked back since.

Actually, I did almost look back once. I was having a difficult time finding a good email program for the Treo until I found Chatter. That works nearly as well as the Blackberry (better in some cases). The only reason I say nearly as well is because the Treo is not nearly as stable as the blackberry... I do have to perform a soft reset on the Treo once every day or so, which is annoying, but in my opinion still worth it. Don't get me wrong... I don't think Chatter is the cause of this instability, but the overall combination of Treo 650/Chatter is not as stable as the blackberry and for some people this is a dealbreaker. Chatter is better than the blackberry, however, in that it is very easy to set up multiple email accounts and multiple folders for one account (and keep them seperated). Additionally the web browser on the Treo is 100 times better than the blackberry's. There are very few html sites that the Treo has problems with and the touchscreen makes navigating much easier. Additionally, dial up networking is possible with third party software.

Overall, I think the device that would be best for you really depends on what you want. If you want a no-nonsense device for email and calendar use (and preferably have access to Blackberry enterprise server) then get the blackberry. If you want more than just email and you're willing to put up with the minor idiosyncrasies of the Treo, than that's probably the device for you.

HTH,
    Brett
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I went from a BB to Treo knowing that the push capabilites and battery life would not be the same. For me it was a compromise. The BB was great for email but that was about it. Calendar, tasks, address book functions were archaic to say the least. Don't even mention the phone capabilities. For me, I wanted a fully integrated solution that was more slanted towards a PIM and phone. Even though emails are critical for me, I have found the various solutions offered (SnapperMail, Chatteremail, etc) works pretty well, not as well as BB though. But the email deficiencies of the Treo is far less than the numerous other deficiencies of the BB in comparison. So for me, the TReo is as close to the perfect convergence of all of the devices I need as I can get right now. That being said, I am by no means married to Treo or Palm. When the next device comes out that integrates PIM, phone, email, multimedia I will likely investigate that.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    I went from a BB to Treo knowing that the push capabilites and battery life would not be the same. For me it was a compromise. The BB was great for email but that was about it. Calendar, tasks, address book functions were archaic to say the least. Don't even mention the phone capabilities.
    You obviously didn't use a 7100 series Blackberry. The phone of this series is superior to almost any cell phone I've used: Speakerphone, volume, ease of use, Bluetooth connections to headsets are all very, very good. The speakerphone and volume are very impressive, to say the least.

Suretype on this series takes some getting used to, but it is OK after a week of self-tutor. Pocket Today is available now for Blackberry as a "Today" screen application, and makes for a quicker and more effective PIM device.

More and more 3rd party apps (including Handmark's Express service, now) are showing up now for Blackberry. There's no camera, MP3's, Video, etc...but the 7100 BB Series makes for a very good phone, email, and PIM device.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Treo does own Blackberry.
    not even close
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00
    Treo does own Blackberry.
    not even close
    You sure? RIM's quarterly sales rose 138 percent at the end of 2004...did PalmOne's (Treo)?

I've never owned a Blackberry until last Fall, myself. My 7100t has never self-reset on me, nor has it frozen up with 3rd party software. It's definitely more stable than any Palm, Handspring, or PPC I've owned.

My post above was merely to point out that phone quality is there for a BB device, and that 3rd party apps are coming on strong now for that OS, as well.

If you are going to make statements about Treo owning BB, then you should be able to back it up I would think. Functionality-wise and aftermarket software, the Treo may; for email, stability, phone quality (7100 series), and overall sales, I don't think so...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast