Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I have downloaded and ripped using mac the ripper, downloaded the newest version of d-vision, got a 128mb ish file for a 2hr movie played it back in quicktime and it looked great, put it on my treo and plays but it is blocky as all heck, is it because I am using mmplayer, or do i have to set my treo a certain way first?

I used settings, 100kbps, 32mb mp3 sound, 14.96 fps, divx, 1 pass, everything that I have read, am ready to give up, any thoughts or help would be much appreciate.
    Kinoma Producer! It has presets for the 600. It is a new brainer. Videos play great. It works perfectly and if you switch out of it, you can go back into it and start right back up.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Just an FYI, the Treo 600 only has a 12-bit screen, so there's a limit to just how good video will look on the 600.

I've had no problems with the following settings on a T600:
    48 kbit/s 32 kHz mono MP3 audio
    160x120 @ 19.98 fps video
    Any video bitrate works fine, I usually use around 150-200.

And with any MPEG-4 codec, 2-pass is the way to go. Set your size to about 1.5 MB per minute of video for 2-pass and you'll almost surely be limited by the Treo's 12-bit screen as far as quality at that point.

And IMO Kinoma sucks. I tried it, not even worth the memory usage. MMPlayer rocks.
    I use mactheripper and D-vision with great results, with similar settings per Entropy above.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Kinoma Producer! It has presets for the 600. It is a new brainer. Videos play great. It works perfectly and if you switch out of it, you can go back into it and start right back up.
    I second the Kinoma Producer and Player... simply awesome results with great mpeg4 video and AAC sound.
    It seems that there are only 2 choices if you have a 600 or want to play true mp4s... Kinoma or mmplayer. I downloaded kinoma plaer EX & it was choppy even playeing clips kinoma provided as demo clips! It sounds as though the mmplayer is esoteric with the need to adjust the settings, etc.

1.So which is better?

I was hoping to purchase Kinoma player/producer to play videos on long plane trips or while waiting in the airport, but besides the quality issue, Kinoma only seems to play the audio through the built in speaker & not through the headset... probably unacceptable for in plane usage.

2. Can mmplayer play audio through the headset?

I still may buy it to play short video clips (from digital cameras, etc) but the trial version will not play the mp3s created by a sony T1.

3. Am I going to have to convert every single clip in producer b4 I can play it in Kinomas player & is this the same situation with mmplayer?
    Quote Originally Posted by />eathwish

Kinoma only seems to play the audio through the built in speaker & not through the headset... probably unacceptable for in plane usage.
    I've always gotten great videos with Kinoma on the 650. Perhaps the sample video was meant to play on a different Treo, which would have different settings for acceptable playback.

In any event, Kinoma does play audio through a headset. That's how I watch and listen to movies on a plane all the time.
    Great news, but what headseat are you using to listen to ther videos. Is it the same one you use for calls or a stereo headset? My OEM headset went bad months ago & I've been using a cheap replacement from Radio Shack since (works great for calls).
    Is this only with the 650 or are there 600 users out there who are also able to hear audio from Kinoma player on their headsets?

I'm still not sure which is better? I've heard that you can use mmplayer to hear shoutcast broadcasts. Is this possible through Kinoma?
    When I click on a link from the Web browser, I get a message stating that I do not have an app installed that can handle the stream format.
    :shortcut:
    Headsets - You can't use the standard single earpiece that came with the 600 to play sounds from the 600.
    1 You need Freedom, a program available that forces the sound to theearpiece
    2. or Use adapter from radio shack,Seidio, or palmone to plug in normal headphones
    3. Or get seidio 2-1 headphones.

I use Kinoma on 600 with better results than MMplayer.
    Make sure you have memory available no matter which program you use. If it can't load much of the movie into memory it iwll be slow.
    The 600 is limted resolution (160 x 160) and limited color depth. It won't match your TV.