1. agi
    Finally a solution for Linux Servers!

Copied from their website: http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN...detail2640.htm

Boston, Mass - February 14, 2005 - Netline Internet Service (www.open-xchange.org) today announced the availability of the Beta for OPEN-XCHANGE 0.8 - the first truly modular, standards-based, platform agnostic communications tool that provides businesses with e-mail, calendar, contacts, tasks and real-time document storage. Also available will be Beta connectors to both Palm and Outlook.

OPEN-XCHANGE Server, the engine behind Novell's award-winning SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server (SLOX), maintains the same architecture, but with added and enhanced features - including advanced Web interfaces for administrators, Web-based contextual online help and significantly enhanced Outlook and Palm connectors -- in a more flexibly designed platform-agnostic package. OPEN-XCHANGE Server will replace the SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server brand.

Netline also announced the availability in March of Netline OPEN-XCHANGE 5 the commercial version of OPEN-XCHANGE -- for Novell's SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 and April availability on Red Hat Enterprise Server 4 in April. Both products will be available from the Netline Webshop and will come with full installation support and maintenance. Enhanced Outlook and Palm Connectors will be available in the Webshop in April as well.

"Now, for the first time, customers can get all the award-winning benefits of SLOX in a truly open-source, platform-agnostic application," said Frank Hoberg, CEO, Netline Internet Service. "OPEN-XCHANGE Server 5 will fit perfectly into existing IT infrastructures and give customers - and partners -- the choice of their preferred operating system and services (database, e-mail server, filesystem)."

OPEN-XCHANGE Server will first be available on the two leading enterprise Linux platforms - Novell's SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 and RedHat Advanced Server 4. OPEN-XCHANGE allows for an easy integration to open source -- enabling administrators to create and implement killer-aps without changing existing infrastructure components i.e; databases, directory services, message transfer agents, e-mail servers or web-servers. OPEN-XCHANGE server -- on the client allows users keep their favourite mail and groupware client -- most often Outlook, but also Groupwise, Notes and Evolution.

About OPEN-XCHANGE
    The OPEN-XCHANGE Collaboration and Integration Server Environment enables users to store appointments, contacts, tasks, emails, bookmarks, documents -- and many more elements -- and share them with other users. This environment can be accessed via any web browser - as well as multiple fat clients like Outlook, Palm, KDE Kontact, Apples iCAL, Konqueror, Mozilla Calendar, and more.

3rd party products open source or proprietary -- can access OPEN-XCHANGE Server through various interfaces such as WebDAV (XML), LDAP, iCal, and HTTP/S. The OPEN-XCHANGE Server is based on open source daemons and services: a web (HTTP/S) server (like Apache), a servlet engine (like Tomcat), a database (like PostgreSQL), a directory server (like OpenLDAP), and a mail (both SMTP and IMAP) server (like Postfix using Cyrus); just to list a few.

The administration framework is implemented using XML-RPC (Remote Procedure Calls). Additional XML based APIs, and support for common open standards such as ICAL, VCARD and VTODO will help developers access the core modules. Future developments of OPEN-XCHANGE Server will deliver a full XML-RPC framework to support interfacing of newly created modules into OX/NOX Server providing improved functionality, an OXtension.

Netline offers regular software maintenance updates, platform certification, and a full support offering. The functionality offered by OPEN-XCHANGE Server 5 will include all that is offered in the open source OPEN-XCHANGE Server 0.8, with the addition of:

* A web interface for Administrators to easily administer the NOX Server, including Linux services such as file sharing (Samba) and directories (OpenLDAP) that are used by the groupware system

* Enhanced web interfaces for users to setup user preferences

* Web based contextual on-line help for users

* Significantly enhanced Microsoft Outlook and Palm connectors

* Administrator and user manuals

* 5 years guaranteed maintenance

* Maintenance with update and upgrade protection for server modules and connectors

* Standard service and support offerings for installation on SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 and Red Hat Advanced Server 3

http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN...ty/roadmap.htm

The Outlook connector will support

* Microsoft shared folder
    * Distribution lists
    * Documents attached to specific objects
    * Microsoft Outlook categories compatibility
    * Synchronization with .pst files
    * On-line and off-line functionality

Pricing
    Initial base package for Netline OPEN-XCHANGE 5 (25 users) for both Red Hat and SUSE - including 1 year maintenance, admin interfaces, initial installation support, outlook and palm connectors and 5 year guarantee is $850. Maintenance subscription fee for additional users is $25 per user.

About the OPEN-XCHANGE community project
    Each of Netline's core team members have years of experience in developing OPEN-XCHANGE. Each is responsible for one or more specific OPEN-XCHANGE modules and is responsible to integrate community developers outside of Netline in the development process. A new XML-RPC (remote procedure call) will enable developers to create new modules with new functionality -- OXtensions (TM) enabling them to access methods via simple XML. New 3rd party products from ISVs or open source projects can be pluggedin into OPEN-XCHANGE easily without touching the core groupware engine. The result: faster innovation and excellent quality of the source code, How To's, documentation and intense testing on several hardware and operating systems.

About Netline
    Netline Internet Service GmbH is a market leader in Linux-based groupware, collaboration, and messaging in the SMB segment. Netline's Groupware which is based on the Netline Java Application Server is the core engine of Novell's award winning SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server. Since 1996 Netline - based in Olpe, Germany - has been developing java-based 3-tier web applications for the SMB market.

Comments?
  2. agi
    WOW, I can not believe it, one full day and no replies.

Here we have a program similar to GoodLink for such stable platform such as Linux for like 1/10 the cost and not even one person discusses it? Well, seems like I'll give it a try myself
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Not really familiar with GoodLink.

But given Novell/Ximian's recent track record with Palm synchronization, the product isn't even going to be worth the disk space needed for an install. Evolution 2.0's sync capabilties SUCK. I've switched back to jpilot, as have many others. Almost any time I even modified ONE entry in Evo, the end result would be every contacts entry on the Treo getting duped. Evo refused to sync category information for contacts, as a result if I did "copy from pilot" followed by "copy from pilot", all of my contacts would get reset to "Unfiled".

I'd have to check out GoodLink, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can be mostly duplicated with existing open-source tools and a little bit of sysadmin elbow grease.
    I've been having better results with Evolution lately, but would rather switch to Thunderbird as I am finding Evo's imap sync very slow.

I may take a lok at this also though.

P.S. Of course, I also have everything in JPilot because it 'just works'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy
    Not really familiar with GoodLink.

I'd have to check out GoodLink, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can be mostly duplicated with existing open-source tools and a little bit of sysadmin elbow grease.
    Then you would be greatly surprised.
  6. agi
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Then you would be greatly surprised.
    Well, if you could, please explain why not?

Thank you
    Sure.

The security model employed by Good utilizes AES which ensures that data is encrypted from the network to the device and back. With only a single, outbound ony connection through port 443, Good's security model is unsurpassed by any commerciall or freeware/open source application.

Over-the-air provisioning. Good allows admins to provision and install GoodLink, as well as third party applications, wirelessly with no cradling required.

Good Management Console. The GMC allows admins to view the status of every device on the GoodLink Server, including the cellular network status of each individual user. It also includes the ability to remotely erase devices should the become lost.

Multiple device/OS support. GoodLink supports both Palm and PPC (Symbian in the Fall) operating systems from a single management point.

These are only 4 features/aspects of Good that I am very confident you will not find in an open source solution. If you should find one that you feel meets or exceeds these, I would love to look at it.
    You piqued my curiosity, but when I went to the link and started digging, I saw nothing about over-the-air syncing to Palm devices. Are you saying it does that? If so, please put a link to that functionality.
    We use GoodLink and it is awesome. But, not everyone has an Exchange server (or wants one), so if there is something even close for Linux, I'd love to know.
    Thanks.
  9. agi
    I think there is over the air syncing. Email via IMAP:

Quote:

3rd party products open source or proprietary -- can access OPEN-XCHANGE Server through various interfaces such as WebDAV (XML), LDAP, iCal, and HTTP/S. The OPEN-XCHANGE Server is based on open source daemons and services: a web (HTTP/S) server (like Apache), a servlet engine (like Tomcat), a database (like PostgreSQL), a directory server (like OpenLDAP), and a mail (both SMTP and IMAP) server (like Postfix using Cyrus); just to list a few.

Sounds to me that it does. I have not had time to dig a bit more into it for details.