1.    #1  
    Please be kind. I'm new to this forum, but not to others.

Well I've done my searching and I'm shunning all protocol and going straight for the triple-dog-dare here.

After 7 years with Nextel and numerous dropped calls while speaking with clients, I saw a Treo 650 from a Cingular user and I had to have it. It couldn't be any worse a carrier than Nextel plus all the functional features for a salesman like myself on the road needing to check emails and have web access. So I transferred my number and paid $450 for the 650 and then got a MotorolaV180 for the wife.

Here are my questions after 7 days of use and trying to decipher the book and (contact your network administrator) highlights!

This is what I want to accomplish:

(And if someone has the patience to reply I would appreciate it)

Xpressmail, VersaMail, Messaging....help?!

1) I have a personal email account using MS Outlook Express. I want to access this on the road. What 'Mail' do I use for this? Is there anything that simulates MS OE in looks?

2) I did TRY to setup the Xpressmail and I can RECEIVE messages but NOT send them. I used both the outgoing and incoming SMTP's from my email account. Still can't send out email?

3) I tried to send an email through Xpressmail but I keep getting an Error stating "One or more of your msgs could not be sent. Please go to your Outbox to view these messages.

4) When sending a text message through MESSAGING I get this:

5) ALERT: An ERROR occurred was the message I go when I tried to send a text message through Messaging. Message Sending Failed. Please Resend.

6) How can I reset my "homepage" on the 650 to Google and NOT my Cingular Default.

7) What IS VersaMail? And how is it different than XpressMail?

8) How can I reset the time from when I hit the Green Phone & Press Center button to Unlock while deciding where I want to go? If I don't make a selection within some 3 seconds I'm Black Screen again.

9) As a former Nextel user it was very simple uploading Ringtones through a program called WebJal. How do I upload new Ringtones for my 650 and what program do I need? Or at least the steps necessary.
    Your sending messages may be a function of the SMTP server and not the handheld mail client. The first things to look at are:

1. Does the SMTP require SSL?
    2. Does the SMTP require ESMTP logins?
    3. Does the provider support relay?

Most problems come from #3. When at home you are logged into the service and things are cool. From the phone, you are not logged into the service (Earthlink is the one I see most) and hence they dont allow you to send mail through thier server. Most people I've seen up here have resolved the problem by using the SMTP server provided by the service provider (Sprint, etc) since they WILL allow mail to be sent through.

Don't know much about XpressMail as I use VersaMail. It is the client that ships with the T650.
    Use cwmx.com as your outgoing mail setting.
    This was an excellent answer and #3 is usually where the problem occurs. One correction though is that Earthlink does allow SMTP access now. I discovered this rather by accident a few months ago. The settings for this that I use under XpressMail are:

smtpauth.earthlink.net
    Port 25
    SMTP authentication

If you set that up in the Setting -> Services page under the XpressMail web interface after creating a POP account you will be able to send email through Earthlink.

Quote Originally Posted by dang
    Your sending messages may be a function of the SMTP server and not the handheld mail client. The first things to look at are:

1. Does the SMTP require SSL?
    2. Does the SMTP require ESMTP logins?
    3. Does the provider support relay?

Most problems come from #3. When at home you are logged into the service and things are cool. From the phone, you are not logged into the service (Earthlink is the one I see most) and hence they dont allow you to send mail through thier server. Most people I've seen up here have resolved the problem by using the SMTP server provided by the service provider (Sprint, etc) since they WILL allow mail to be sent through.

Don't know much about XpressMail as I use VersaMail. It is the client that ships with the T650.
    5. I had to have SMS activated through Cingular.

6. In Blazer:
    menu
    options
    preferences

7. Versamail is a general e-mail
    (G-mail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Comcast, etc...)
    Xpress Mail is only Cingular

8. Preferences
    Keyguard

9. Treobits or TreoTones has free MIDI tones. You need 3rd party apps to have MP3 rings.
    A bit of clarification... XpressMail Personal Edition is only a Cingular Service but you can have up to 3 accounts setup via the service. I go to my corporate email along with my two external POP accounts. The same holds true of Business Connection Personal Edition which is the same software just under a different carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    5. I had to have SMS activated through Cingular.

6. In Blazer:
    menu
    options
    preferences

7. Versamail is a general e-mail
    (G-mail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Comcast, etc...)
    Xpress Mail is only Cingular

8. Preferences
    Keyguard

9. Treobits or TreoTones has free MIDI tones. You need 3rd party apps to have MP3 rings.