Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My 650 has been rock solid since I did a hard reset and rebuild about four weeks ago. Yesterday I decided to give Chatter a go and can see why everyone raves about it. Unfortunately I've been getting a few resets with this error:

A reset was caused on "date" at "time" while running
    ""<unknown application>":

SystemMgr.c Line:5168, No More Owner IDs

I have never seen this error before and Chatter is the only thing I've installed recently. At first I thought it was due to e-mail notifications but I turned all those off except for the LED. Could it be related to the fact that I'm running an unregistered version. After a reset I get the "# of days left" message when I first re-enter Chatter. I'd love to get this resolved because I'd like to register/purchase the application.

Thanks for any advice!
    Get the latest rev. and make sure "No background SSL" is checked in the COnnection prefs. That reset problem will go away.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    If I set "no background SSL" will I then need to set a QSync at certain times in order to get mail when my device is off? I'd look in the manual but I'm on the train.
    Only if you use SSL; do you?

Marc
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Bro...I feel your pain, I tested Chattermail for the weekend, not only could I not get it to work correctly, my palm crashed about every 20 minutes, I even turned off background SSL and my palm would crash in nearly every program I was in. So today I deleted it and went back to snapper. I haven't had a crash since!

BenJoe
    BenJoe hate to dispute you but I have been using chatter mail on my 650 since the start i am a long time chatter mailer and must say you are doing something wrong because if you do a search you will find many users are finding it very stable. My sugestion is to contact Marc who is one of the best developers out there and is always helping users.

Fred
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Not anymore . I don't really send stuff that requires it anyway. Thanks for the tip, all appears good now.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm
    BenJoe hate to dispute you but I have been using chatter mail on my 650 since the start i am a long time chatter mailer and must say you are doing something wrong because if you do a search you will find many users are finding it very stable. My sugestion is to contact Marc who is one of the best developers out there and is always helping users.

Fred
    Thanks Fred, I have been talking to Marc since Saturday and he has yet to find the problem with mine was not working. I couldn't get anything to work. I even sent him a detailed Log file and he told me that he wasn't sure of the problem. And reset after reset speak for itself, since I haven't had one since I changed back to snapper. But I think we all know that every Treo 650 is different so there could have been many things conflicting with my Palm OS. But I didn't have a problem before and I haven't had a problem after.

In all honesty I want Chattermail to work and that is why I tested it for 3 days but found no success. Marc tried to help me but we never came to a solution, but I need email access and I need to be able to send, snapper has given me what I want so I am going back. I will give Chattermail another honest try but not now, I will wait until a more stable version is out that works with my server.

Plus: I think if you did a search you would people who have not found it to be so stable (HINT: The guy who posted this thread)

Marc, no offense, I still want this to work.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    Plus: I think if you did a search you would people who have not found it to be so stable (HINT: The guy who posted this thread)
    I hate to suggest this, but have you tried a hard reset and reload of the individual apps you want to run? Maybe you have a residual file from a deleted program that's causing you a problem. That was my issue with a different app and my device has been great ever since.

As for Chatter being unstable, that was more my fault and not reading the manual. I'm happy Marc responded so quickly and politely when I really should have RTFM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Marky,

Thanks for your post, I want everyone to know I mean know disservice to Marc or Chattermail, Marc has been great to work with and I still have high hopes that we can find a solution.

You suggestion is valid and I have tried that, I actually did that when I purchased the 650 to avoid any compatability problems, but I found it is a good thing to do every few months anyway to eliminate resudual file problems. I could try it one by one with Chatter but then I would have to run it for a few hours to see and that may take awhile. Again, Chatter is an amazing program, but I have just not had any success at all getting it to work.

Let me run it down for you all:

1. I have had constant soft resets in running every application. There is not one specific one or specific time, but I could be in SMS, Blazer, Chess, PlanPlus, etc.

2. I can receive emails on my IMAP and POP3 Accounts, but can not send. My IMAP can only send internally on the network, but my POP3 can send to any account. Neither send, the only go to the outbox.
    3. POP3 emails arrive but with headers or titles in many cases.

If you have suggestions to fix this I will jump on it, Marc has been looking into it and I have sent him log files. My IMAP server is behind a Firewall and doesn't use SSL. But my POP3 is a free and open. I check both of these and send from them using Snapper and Outlook at home. Chatter has not been able to do it all I get is cnct then auth.

BenJoe
    BenJoe - I appreciate your situation. However, I have NEVER seen a case in which Snapper could communicate with a server but Chatter could not, unless the problem was due to a setup problem. Therefore, I have to assume this to be the case. If you'd like, we can go over the details again, but I am quite certain that the problem is solvable.

Marc
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    My guess is that you have a conflict between Chatter and another application. This suggestion may take some time but I would do a hard reset and then add ONLY Chatter and see if it works. If it does, begin adding back your other apps one at a time making sure that Chatter still works OK until you find the app that is "conflicting" with Chatter. If things don't work with just Chatter loaded you may have a defective unit.

Even though many of us have been using Chatter for quite awhile with no real problems oddities to exist. For example, myself and 1 or 2 other people get a reset loop if we have a filtered mailbox but most people have them and don't get the reset loop. Why? Who knows? I think it probably comes down to the configuration of each device. By configuration I mean the whole enchilada, hardware, firmware, and especially 3rd party software. The T650 with it's new file system seems to be particularly troblesome for many 3rd party apps. There is thread about apps that folks have found to be stable that is worth looking at before installing an application.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

Marc
    Marc,

what's the prognosis for making SSL work?? I MUST use SSL and I really like Chatter's background feature. But it does mean that I get a good number of resets. (Actually the number of resets have increased in the more recent versions.) I remember a little while back you said you were investigating 3rd party ssl libs? Any progress on that? I would definitely give up the extra NVRAM space to have a better working SSL setup.

Thanks

Dave
    I haven't found a 3rd party library that will work in the background. There is a small chance I'll get more information from PalmSource, but the odds are low. I don't see any other alternatives.

Marc

p.s. Background SSL resets appear worse since which version? Do you remember?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I haven't found a 3rd party library that will work in the background. There is a small chance I'll get more information from PalmSource, but the odds are low. I don't see any other alternatives.
    Bummer... I'm really curious. What is broken in these SSL libs that makes them not work in the background? (Or is that a trade secret.)

p.s. Background SSL resets appear worse since which version? Do you remember?
    Sigh... I apollogize. I don't remember exactly. It's so hard to be sure on the Treo which app is causing the crash that I didn't even immediately associate it with Chatter. (In fact I can't really be sure it is Chatter, but after observing for a while, that is my best guess.) I seem to remember it being somewhere in the 1.4rc* releases, but I'm not 100% sure. If you have any guesses, I can load a specific older release and run it for a while to let you know.

I can definitely say that during the 1.3 releases (even the betas) I felt quite stable. Now I find that the phone crashes much more often. It even crashes sometimes when I answer the phone, which is something that it never did before and is becoming really annoying. I would gladly pay good money for a program that could definitively tell me what program is causing the crash. I have upgraded multiple programs, so while I have a hunch that Chatter is the culprit, it is really nothing more than a hunch.

In the next day or two I will be hard reseting the phone and re-installing everything manually. I'll let you know if that helps... If you ever need a tester for SSL code, I will be a guinea pig.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Marc and the Gang,

You are inspiring me to move forward, but I have one other concern.

I think this weekend or if I get sometime I will try what you have all said, Hard Reset and install only chatter to see it works then also to make sure the setups is done correctly.

I receive a lot of HTML and Rich Format emails, Snapper can read these as soon as I open them, but Chatter sends me to blazer. This wouldn't be a big problem but the emails show up like this:

Dear BenJoe=20

How are=20 doing =20 ....

________

I get all these =20 in the email.

This makes reading my emails somewhat of a problem, is this fixable in Chatter

BenJoe
    Chatter question/possible problem:
    I tried hotsyncing for the first time after I installed chatter (I installed it 3-4 days ago)..and now I cannot hotsync. It just sits and then ultimately times out. It doesn't crash or reset the treo..but no more hotsync. I'm guessing it has to be chatter because my treo hotsyncd ok before adding chatter.

I did try soft resetting. I did try turning my computer on/off..both a couple times.
    I also turned chatter off in the background.
    I'm running outside of the stock apps: datebk5, butler, tealbackup,e2sync(on my mac) and now chattermail.

Can anyone recommend a first step towards a fix?
    Is there a setting that I missed?
    Thanks,
    Pizza
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat. I genuinely want to use Chatter as my regular email program (Yes, I am a paying customer), but the crashes are crazy. I've had crashes as I'm dialing, surfing with Blazer, or while in Chatter.. These are just the crashes, not the reset loops or the disappearing mailboxes after beta upgrades. I've sent several logs, but I'm not sure who is at fault here. With already 6 hours of using my Treo with Chatter disconnect and no crashes (I usually get at least one an hour minimum, but I'll give it one full day), I don't know..

I might try performing a hard reset and using just Chatter, but honestly, I do not even have much on my Treo (FileZ, Converter, DirAssist, DocToGo, VeriChat, Clicker, Agendus, and Chatter)... and the resets I'm talking about are in the ROM applications (I have yet to have any crashes in any of the installed applications)...
    Marc,

What's the story on the experimental SL.prc that's suggested on the chatteremail.com? I installed it to see how things go. I got a warning that I already have a later version of the SSL library installed, but I accepted it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjohn
    I'm in the same boat. I genuinely want to use Chatter as my regular email program (Yes, I am a paying customer), but the crashes are crazy. I've had crashes as I'm dialing, surfing with Blazer, or while in Chatter.. These are just the crashes, not the reset loops or the disappearing mailboxes after beta upgrades. I've sent several logs, but I'm not sure who is at fault here. With already 6 hours of using my Treo with Chatter disconnect and no crashes (I usually get at least one an hour minimum, but I'll give it one full day), I don't know..

I might try performing a hard reset and using just Chatter, but honestly, I do not even have much on my Treo (FileZ, Converter, DirAssist, DocToGo, VeriChat, Clicker, Agendus, and Chatter)... and the resets I'm talking about are in the ROM applications (I have yet to have any crashes in any of the installed applications)...
    Sorry to hear...
    I am fortunately not experiencing any other problems outside of the hotsync problem. Chatter email seems to work well at this point.
    I heard overall that hotsync is not that stable. I want to solve/understand this problem first but I heard missing sync is a better alternative.
    Any thoughts..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast