1.    #1  
    I am traveling to Japan next week and was wondering if anyone knew how (or if it's possible) to connect to the internet with the Treo. I use Cingular and already have an Unlimited internet plan (not the data plan).
    no
    japan is using its own network
    10 years ahead of the rest of the world
    your treo is just another organizer over there

and japan's wireless network is FAST!
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    yea, they use w-cdma pretty much cdma with a sim card and lightning fast speed
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Japan is on 3G, Treo650 is still on 2G (2.5G and 2.75G). Treo650 won't work in Japan.
    Confirmed.... I was there last weekend (coming back from Manila) and of course my Treo650 did not find a network.
    sounds like a good opportunity to get your TREO unlocked.
    if you REALLY need to have your phone # ring while you're in Japan, contact Cingular. They will rent you a phone (not a Treo) that will work on Japanese networks. You use the rented phone with your existing SIM card.
    However, no way to get your Treo to work while in the Land of the Rising Sun...
  8.    #8  
    So...when they say the Treo 650 is quadband....what does that mean? The Cingular salesman said it would work in Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by kagudesu
    So...when they say the Treo 650 is quadband....what does that mean? The Cingular salesman said it would work in Japan.
    quad band simply means it's a GSM phone that supports all four major GSM frequency bands, making it compatible with all major GSM networks worldwide.

the four bands include the 800 (or 850) and 1900 bands (used in the America) and 900/1800 (used in most other parts of the world.)

don't listen to the salesman. GSM is not deployed in japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by kagudesu
    it means its time for you to sue the cingular salesman

yea sure, its quadband, 850/1900 - used extensively in the states & canada

900/1800 - used extensively by the rest of the world EXCEPT korea and japan
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!