1.    #1  
    I'm not a huge mp3 listener, but I do understand why some might want to be able to take hours and hours of music with them. When I do listen, I keep 30-40 songs on an SD card on my 600. That said, could someone not conceivably build some kind of harddrive sled somewhat like the external battery sled someone made for the 600. You would think that it would be possible to build a 20GB, or even larger, unit that could attach to the Treo either through the hot sync port, or maybe through the SD slot. Anybody with more technical know-how able to speak more the the feasability of this idea?

Gargoyle
  2. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Personally, I'd rather just carry an MP3 player. There's a Rio Riot in my briefcase with all 371 of my CDs on it and a set of Etymotic Research ER.4P ear bugs plugged into it. I'll stick with it for my portable music needs.

As for a HD in a smart phone/PDA device, I think it's right around the corner. I recently saw a 10 gig drive about the size of a SmartMedia card at the CES.

Not science fiction, my friend, just science.

Pete
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Handspring Visor > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Pro > Pre (in November) ... Evolution, or more money than sense?
    talk about audiophile! those earbuds retail for $330.00!
  4. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridges
    talk about audiophile! those earbuds retail for $330.00!
    They can be had for less if you shop around. I think I paid around $250 for mine around a year ago. But they're worth every dime. Simply put, they're the finest sounding earphones of any kind that I've heard and I've listened to the best.

One of the best features is the 35-42 dB sound isolation. I've run the sound board at several outdoor music festivals and all I could hear through the ER4Ps was the audio mix. They're also excellent on airplanes because they completely block out all external noise. That means you can hear every nuance in the music even at low volume levels.

And they rock at high volume levels but someone right next to you in a silent room would never know you were rockin'.

Lest you open yer mouth

By the way, they also make an excellent mobile phone headset.

Pete
    Last edited by Gizmonkey; 03/21/2005 at 07:59 PM.
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Handspring Visor > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Pro > Pre (in November) ... Evolution, or more money than sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmonkey
    As for a HD in a smart phone/PDA device, I think it's right around the corner. I recently saw a 10 gig drive about the size of a SmartMedia card at the CES.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7181507/page/2/

"I know camera phones are all the rage, but how about a 7 megapixel camera phone?

The SCH-V770 features a 3x optical and a 5x digital zoom, auto focus and flash and allows for manual adjustment of focus, focal length, shutter speed and exposure. There's even a TV-out function to connect the phone to your TV to watch your pictures and movies.

From this angle, the V770 looks more like a digital camera than a phone.
    Then there’s the SCH-i300 Smartphone. Instead of a card-based storage system, this phone has a 3 GB hard drive built inside. That means you can use your i300 to store approximately 1,000 music files and listen to them on the built-in stereo speakers or headphones.

You could also use the i300 as a removable hard drive to carry any type of file between computers. There’s also a 1.3 megapixel camera and Samsung’s TV-out connection."
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmonkey
    They can be had for less if you shop around. I think I paid around $250 for mine around a year ago. But they're worth every dime. Simply put, they're the finest sounding earphones of any kind that I've heard and I've listened to the best.
    I bought a pair of $80 shures and I love them. At the time I thought I was spending too much, but now I wish I had bought a more expensive set. :-)
    Ok, getting back to the original topic...I'd love to see such a sled as well. I like the "one unit" functionality of the Treo as well as the interface. I also have most of my music in OGG, and there aren't many players that support this format (please don't hijack the thread again and list them for me, I have done the research, thanks). I also like the PTunes interface, so thus my opinions.
    The major issue I can see would be the battery life, since, as has been discussed ad nausium in other places, hard drives eat power. The other issue is one of stability; hard drives have a moving head that can cause a crash on impact for us clumsy people. But, there is the IPod model, minimal crashes on a hard drive from bazillions of users so that issue can be minimized by careful design.
    Ok, here's a proposal: a sled that contains 1.8" hard drive (after all SD cards will be at the 4gb range soon, so why use a 4gb hard drive [.85"], go for the larger space). Also in the sled would be a supplementary battery which would be able to charge both the Treo and sled simultaneously through the charging cable. The sled could attach via either the serial port or even possibly the SD slot…designers choice. Also, since the USB/power connection would have to go through the serial port, it could act as a removable drive (and maybe even make julienne fries as long as we are dreaming)
    I just think that using the existing design, Palm OS interface and an add-on sled, you could add valuable functionality. The benefit is that I can take the sled off depending on what you need.
    Before the nay-sayers get going, yes I know, it does create 2 devices so why not just carry around a dedicated MP3 player…this is my fantasy, that and the fact that I greatly dislike Apple and their conspiracy to take over the world by getting everyone to listen to subliminal mind control from every IPod. Ahhhh, I lost my tin foil hat!

Thanks for listening to me ramble; the drugs are kicking in now.
    Ok, designers…..GO!!!!
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!