Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Oh, but you'll keep an open mind about the 650?...nice fence walking Tulip.... S**t or get off the Pot!... buy something and move on with your life.... be happy!!!!
    No, thanks. I'll sit on this fence as long as it pleases me. As soon as one side or the other becomes sufficiently green for my tastes, then I'll think about it.

'til then, I'll complain about how both sides of the fence appear to be ****-brown all I like.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    Silverado, nobody's gonna disagree with most of that. BUT I think PalmOne is milking that into an excuse to release half-baked products and then releasing yet another new one INSTEAD of fixing the problems with the old one. I'll bet $100 that there ain't EVER gonna be a memory fix for the TREO 650...
    GWB,

The fix is out: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...er/sprint.html

Please send me the $100 to my paypal address. Do you want it via PM or email?

Quote Originally Posted by masonuc
    1. Name me a highly advanced computer device that doesn't have crash issues. How often does your Thinkpad/Dell/etc. crash and it costs 2-4 times as much.

2. I would hope PalmOne has done some research, and they may have concluded that early adopters like us are willing to put up with some crash issues.

Off the top of my head:

Tivo- rock solid for over two years
    IPod- jamming flawlessly for months
    2003 Nissan Murano- 85 computers in it- nothing farts
    Believe it or not, my Fujitsu laptop runs XP for months at a time (I almost never turn it off) without a problem

Dunno if that's anecdotal or proof, but there you are.

As it sits, my Treo is the most unstable device I own. And don't give me any crap about 3rd party apps. That's why I bought a Palm- to run Palm apps. If I wanted a phone that ran just what it came with (assuming we're NOT talking about Versamail or Documents to Go- which crash out of the box with the T650), I'd buy a Motorola Star tac and leave it at that. But I was under the impression that this device was a combination of a Palm and a phone. And that's how I use it.

All told though, its still my favorite device. Which is why I guess I get so upset when it runs so badly. If it'd just do what it was advertised to do- its be AWESOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    GWB,

The fix is out: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...er/sprint.html

Please send me the $100 to my paypal address. Do you want it via PM or email?

Pay up GWB !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    2004 Toyota Prius, computer-controlled hybrid engine with some really silly number of microcontrollers networked together. Runs like an absolute dream (18k miles and counting, 41mpg average :-D ).

It can be done.

All told though, its still my favorite device.
    That's how I felt when my first Kyo 7135 got flaky, to a T. It's the one piece of geekery that's always on me, and dammit, it has to work!

And when it does work, it's fantastic. It's successor needs to be at least as fantastic when it works, and needs to not-work less often :-)
    I made the final, REAL bet with Otter Emperor, and by the terms of that bet I WILL send $50 to the Lupus foundation or whatever he said...(OE, please PM me with the one you picked) when I get back home next week. I'll post an anonymised receipt to prove that I did it.

I am really amazed they did it. Now, the question is, do I actually now buy a TREO 650? Right now, I'm thinkin not. I have such an incredibly bitter taste in my mouth over all this. PalmOne never even acknowledged the memory stuff as a problem 'cept for "power users". No comment about the sound problem that they seem to have fixed. I kinda feel about them like I do about Ford... I refuse to ever buy a Ford cuz they deliberately let the Pinto out the door knowing that 'bout 100 of them would blow up and kill people. PalmOne is far from a corporate murder, but there is a vaguely similar attitude that they can just sneak around and not talk to their customers. I'll never be able to trust 'em. I just can't stomach the jump with all that has gone on..

I'll nurse my TREO 600 as long as it will go, Ś
    .....sorry, TREO 600 ate the rest!

Anyway, I don't think I have a lot more to contribute round these parts any more. Gonna nurse my TREO 600 as long as I can, and by that time the PPC world oughta have some good options. I'll lurk here periodically, but that's gonna be bout it. Good luck to all of you guys: you are the best! Hope PalmOne appreciates what it has in you really great customers! Sayonara......
    I'm not quite so irritated at PalmOne as GWB -- altho' I did almost make the Pinto analogy back during the earlier discussion of whether the 650, as released, qualified as a 'lemon'. :-)

The Cingular patch earlier this week, and the Sprint patch today, have gone a fair way toward demonstrating that P1 is at least willing to consider fixing some of the issues that are getting reported. It would be nice if they'd *acknowledge* those issues a little more clearly before they fixed them, but the fixes are what really counts.

That said, I still don't think that P1 should have released the device with those issues present in the first place, and I'm just as glad to be in a position to wait for a bit, yet.
    I made the final, REAL bet with Otter Emperor, and by the terms of that bet I WILL send $50 to the Lupus foundation or whatever he said...(OE, please PM me with the one you picked) when I get back home next week. I'll post an anonymised receipt to prove that I did it.

I am really amazed they did it. Now, the question is, do I actually now buy a TREO 650? Right now, I'm thinkin not. I have such an incredibly bitter taste in my mouth over all this. PalmOne never even acknowledged the memory stuff as a problem 'cept for "power users". No comment about the sound problem that they seem to have fixed. I kinda feel about them like I do about Ford... I refuse to ever buy a Ford cuz they deliberately let the Pinto out the door knowing that 'bout 100 of them would blow up and kill people. PalmOne is far from a corporate murder, but there is a vaguely similar attitude that they can just sneak around and not talk to their customers. I'll never be able to trust 'em. I just can't stomach the jump with all that has gone on..

I'll nurse my TREO 600 as long as it will go, Ś
    GWB,
    I will PM you the info in a few moments. However, before you leave you should read through the threads detailing the results after the install. It looks quite good. Me? I have to wait for the same update for the GSM version. but I will wait.

I TRULY appreciate you following through and making the contribution. My fiance has advanced Lupus and lives in pain each and every day of her life, without complaining I might add. I told her about our "bet" and she sends her thanks, as well.

To others who might think I went off topic and overboard with the sentimental paragraph here, my purpose was to publicly thank GWB for his thoughtfulness. Nothing more.

Otter out...
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Off the top of my head:

Believe it or not, my Fujitsu laptop runs XP for months at a time (I almost never turn it off) without a problem

As it sits, my Treo is the most unstable device I own. And don't give me any crap about 3rd party apps. That's why I bought a Palm- to run Palm apps. If I wanted a phone that ran just what it came with (assuming we're NOT talking about Versamail or Documents to Go- which crash out of the box with the T650), I'd buy a Motorola Star tac and leave it at that. But I was under the impression that this device was a combination of a Palm and a phone. And that's how I use it.

All told though, its still my favorite device. Which is why I guess I get so upset when it runs so badly. If it'd just do what it was advertised to do- its be AWESOME!
    VERY WELL SAID!
    'em. I just can't stomach the jump with all that has gone on..
    I wanted to post an update.

GWB is a man true to his word. My fiance and I received an email today confirming GWB's very real $50 donation to the Lupus Foundation of America! We are both truly grateful for this.

This GWB is a good man, in my books.

Thanks Again!
    Last edited by Otter Emperor; 03/31/2005 at 10:38 PM. Reason: grammar
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Well done GWB. A man of integrity .

Something money can't buy!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoufSidah09
    ouch! Did I hit a sore spot?

Sorry this wasn't directed at you at all, but apparently you seem to feel you fall under that category… (Not a palm lover, but a fanboy )

For the record I don’t sit around for anything, I’m on a mission to retire by 30, I have no time…

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, ANYONE who says their Treo 650 has NO PROBLEMS and works perfect is a LIAR we are all running just about the same JUNK BETA OS… deal with it…
    You have to stop making generalizations, not good. NO resets here, NONE. Even after I went to VersaMail(known to encourage resets) , then discovered welcome messages from Cingular and deleted them, NO RESET. Volume is fine with me, I can hear and no one said they couldn't hear me. Although I've only had it since the 23rd, I'm not a "power user" and there's no 3rd party software on it. Maybe that's it. But I don't need too much 3rd party software anyway. I'll add what I need when and if I need it. Palm OS works fine for what I need so far.

I'll admit the memory is very low for the price, but I haven't added anything so no big deal yet. The only true gripe I'd have is that it is over-priced IMO, but the device itself is fine with me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Off the top of my head:

How much untested 3rd party software on those ?

The rest of this post is not directed toward your post but I wanted to make a point about the 3rd party stuff and yours fit the bill. The rest is from my impression of the whole thread and I don't wanna start a new post....so don't take the rest as being directed at you .

I have the Cingular 650 with the "bad" GemPlus 64k card....I had my 3rd reset today (going on 9th week of use) after installing 3 apps at a time (single hot sync) ...1st time I have done that...two of them "hook" into the OS i.e. to start the thing to a certain app.

I have 15 MB free, have never had a Versamail lockup, my volume is fine, (half way up), my BT headset works fine. It does everything **I** want it to do as good as anything I have ever owned. I followed the instructions in the manual and used it as a phone for the 1st few days.....no applications. I installed each app from "scratch" no ports from an older unit. I installed each app one at a time and I installed Uninstall Manager as my first app so no matter what I do, I can easily undo it.

But again, for me the Treo is a tool, it's not a lifestyle choice. I don't use it to stream audio 18 hours a day, I always have rollover minutes on my 4 phone 850 minutes / mo. plan, I use the data sparingly only when I need it. I don't type 3 page memos with my thumbs though I will do an edit of a couple of words or even a paragraph. I'll correct a date in a spreadsheet but the bulk of the work I will save for a 17" screen on a laptop. I'll take the elevator up to my room in a hotel and answer my e-mails from a laptop instead of tyring to type answers to 30 e-mails in the lobby with my thumbs hoping someone notices how cool my Treo is.

I have never used any knd of IM and don't understand the concept or wanting to be at everyone's beck and call every minute of the day. I don't use call waiting and I refuse to answer any caller that has their ID blocked. If my clients have trouble with the concept of leaving a message and waiting 10 minutes for a callback, my feeling is that they will just have to hire someone else whose skillset is such that he / she needs to provide this kind of accessibility to compensate.

I'll read e-books on the train, the ferrry or at night in the hotel. I like having it remind of appointments, especially when I need to leave one to get to another. I'll use the camera in a pinch but it's kinda akin to writing a phone number down with a crayon cause you can't find a pen at the moment. I want to do any serious writing, I will find a good pen and if I want to do any serious picture taking I'll find a real camera.

As to listening to music on anything with a $7 sound subsystem, I just don't understand the concept. Given a choice of spending $300 either for a Treo to listen to music or for buying a half set of tubes for one of my amplifiers, I'd choose the new tubes.

I use Scorekeeper to keep baseball stats for my two little league teams and my son's travel ball team. I like not having to carry my Palm Vx or a calculator. I like being able to record nutritional information and my mountain biking efforts as I finish eating or a good ride. I like the directory internet access when I need it in a pinch and the pay by the kb thing works fine for my usage.

Metro does a fine job of getting me around unfamiliar cities, Treo Alarm turns my phone on and off, gets the weather for me and wakes me up. I record an occassional voice memo, use a bill splitter when I go to lunch with government representatives with strict rules about accepting gratuities from people who do business with the government and I voice dial every call I make. I have never not gotten VD to recognize the caller's name and only twice had to wait for it to offer the 2nd choice....well at least since reading the manual on how to use the commands and ignoring when I ask it to call "**** James" and it can't find him cause the entry in the contacts is "Richard James".

The thing has been more stable than any MS OS I have used with the possible exception of NT4. When I have a bad program which makes funky things happen it's much easier to remove all traces of than anything on the MS platform. No manually editing regsitry files or remove hidden switches and hooks.

It's not a multitasking OS, it's not meant do 10 things at the same time. It's suppossed to do simple tasks effectively and easily and it does that for me. Some people will use an air nailer to hang a picture frame on the wall. Some people will would use a ball peen hammer to shingle a 10,000 square foot roof. I prefer to match the most effective tool for the job.

To me the Treo is for when it's not worth the 5 minutes it takes me to get to a fully functional laptop w/ a nice wide 17" screen and full size keyboard. Attempting to get any significant amount of "typing" done on a Treo is like hauling 30 bales of peat moss 100 miles in a Porsche 930. You might look cool doing it, but with one bale in the back seat and one on the whale tail per trip, I'm glad I ain't payin ya by the hour to do it. I'lll pay the guys with the big ugly Mack truck who can do it all in one trip.

I once fired a guy because he took 4 hours to get me an answer that I requested.....requested 4 times in a 4 hour period.....his explanation that he was waiting for the computer to be available so he could use a spreadsheet. Not having that information on time pushed a $185,000 payment from the gov't back 30 days. When he gave me the info it looked like this:

March 1 - 15 / 16 hours on Job 1 / 24 hours oin Job 2
    March 16 - 31 / 12 hours oin Job 1 / 28 hours on Job 2

Totals 28 hours on Job 1 / 52 hours on job 2

I told him on his next job, he should try writing it with a crayon on a napkin and faxing it over and not bother waiting for a spreadsheet so he can add two 2 digit numbers......my 2nd grader can do that w/o a spreadsheet. Losing sight of the goal for the sake of using "cool technology" when it's not warranted is ineffectual, unproductive an doften very costly.

For my $325, despite the three resets and the occasional echo with some land line phones (on land line end), I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase.

However it semes form reading these boards that over 80% are having a fine time with their Treos and are being vilified by those with problems. Of those with problems, I see too many posts starting with "I just got my Treo 650 and it....:

Resets on as many as 12 of my 34 apps
    Resets when I am downloding my 112 e-mails
    Freezes after two hours of chatting
    I have tried 14 different headsets and....."

I would postulate that putting 34 apps on a Treo in 2 days is a bit much and that kind of usage is far too much for a device with the memory footprint that the Treo has. I don't think science and engineering have quite yet brought us a functional "tricorder".

I do recognoize that people have had legitimate problems and it would appear that most of these have been addressed with replacement units. No doubt there are still some bugaboos to be worked out. As any experienced IT person will tell ya "What do you call MS OS's with SP1 and SP2 ?......Betas". I waited for Cingular's release cause I didn't want to be on the bleeding edge. Those that wanna live there have to expect the kind of headache that comes from being an early adopter.

I do have two complaints tho....I had to put an alcohol wipie packet under my battery cover to stop it from feeling loose in my hand as I held the phone and the darn thing should came w/ a cradle.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Well done GWB. A man of integrity .

Something money can't buy!

Thanks, darnell! I do have my price, but it's higher than $50! Otter Emperor has integrity, too. He made a donation to another charity, the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation (my son has Crohn's), not to outdo me, but out of the kindness of his heart. His, I think, is a better example of integrity and humanity, and hopefully is representative of those on this board. I would urge you all to take a moment and donate something to either of our favorite charities, or choose your own. It is all for the good.

Integrity is really what's bothering me. PalmOne hasn't shown much, in my opinion. Yes, they have fixed things with the update, but where have they even admitted anything was wrong in the first place? Even Microsoft admits when they have goofed (well, sometimes, anyway..).

I am going to wait and see what the PPC world has to offer in the coming months. The Blue Angels might do it for me, but I have high hopes for the Samsung i730 or maybe even the HP 65xx. And there are others in the pipeline. I just can't stomach buying a TREO 650 with everything that has gone on here on this board and with PalmOne. Their interests and mine do NOT mesh.

I will continue to lurk around here, but consider this my last post. Happy TREO'ing everybody. May your calls all go through and be heard at the other end. May your resets be few, and your bills low. And may your
    SCREENS
    always be
    WONDERFUL!!!

TTFN.
    GWB, everyone that says they are leaving to never post again ALWAYS POST AGAIN SOON. So I expect to see you posting again soon.

P1 promised a patch and delivered they also gave free SD cards before that. They've done well in supporting the device. They have enough integrity that I continue to buy their devices.

Let the nay sayers keep you from a good thing if you wish . Glad I got mine!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234