Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I'm a new GSM Treo 650 user and I've been using ChatterEmail. I have an unlimited data plan, so I've been leaving my GPRS data connection connected 24/7. I'm concerned, however, about radiation... especially if I carry the 650 around in my pocket all the time. I know that a traditional cell phone emits much less radiation when it's not on an active call, and I assume the 650 is the same, but what about the GPRS connection? Since I don't get an large amount of email it's not transmitting much data during most of the time, but the connection is still active.

Is there only a strong signal broadcast when data is actually being transfered or is it broadcasting no matter what when the GPRS connection is active? Leaving the GPRS connection on 24/7 doesn't kill the battery as fast as I imagine it would if it was broadcasting constantly... I can easily go 12+ hours on a full charge and talk time is only listed at 6 hours, so I tend to think that it probably isn't broadcasting at full strength when the connective is active but idle, but does anyone know for sure? Is this really something I should even be concerned about?

Thanks,
    Brett
    In your pocket I imagine you will be fine, just don't use this handsfree option!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ^bwhahaha

i am a little worried...my third nipple is geting larger and now i have 5 and a half fingers on my right hand
    That's why I leave it in my pocket. So my third leg get's larger.
    ^i regret to inform you that such a case has an adverse affect...kiss your unborn children good bye
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    i am a little worried...my third nipple is geting larger and now i have 5 and a half fingers on my right hand
    LOL, really! I can tell a call is comming in on my 650 before it rings as any speaker near me starts making static sounds. I have been stilling by a desk and the speaker in the phone nearby starts crackling whenever I get close. I am starting to worry I may glow in the dark soon! Maybe my my next Treo 650 skin needs to be made of lead
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Please, take you all a look to the SAR value of our "jewel", it is something incredible in 2005, how fcc (and our european administrators) can allow these emmissions?

Yes, of course, the "medium" user could laugh at Bretts' and my considerations but please put your treo near a comon monitor or a desk phone, what is happen there could happen also in your brain, maybe this is not dangerous...but sometime someone could have headache, has anyone experience it with treo 650 (I experience it with an old nokia 6210 and a SonyEricsson p900).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru
    LOL, really! I can tell a call is comming in on my 650 before it rings as any speaker near me starts making static sounds. I have been stilling by a desk and the speaker in the phone nearby starts crackling whenever I get close. I am starting to worry I may glow in the dark soon! Maybe my my next Treo 650 skin needs to be made of lead
    I got this with my 180, 600 and now my 650. They say its the GSM radio. I say phooey. Other GSM phone's I've come in contact with don't do this.

I've learned to live with it.

I'll be in a conference room with a room full of people and 30 people on the conference phone and all of a sudden the speaker phone starts doing the War of the Worlds radio thing. I just look around pretending I know nothing.

lalalalalalalalala
    llamadamadingdong
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Bluetooth headset baby. I would leave a treo or any other phone near my head for any extended period of time - not just because of the radiation, but because its just damned uncomfortable to hold the thing so long. While the treo isn't heavy, it isn't weightless.