1.    #1  
    I'm in a evaluation period and don't want to go through the trouble of installing Palm Desktop, sync, and register just to get the modem driver (I presume it's in there somewhere).

I also browsed the installation CD and couldn't find any .inf that looks like the modem driver.

I'm simply looking for the modem driver for the Treo 650 so I can tether via BT and test the DUN speed and functionality. I have an unlocked 650.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. A download link would be great!

Please see the link below for discussion related to this subject:

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...threadid=44988

Thanks!
    JAMES.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    No freebie as in the PPC world, here goes:

http://www.junefabrics.com/
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply.

I would be very willing to pay $34. It does require me to install the Palm Desktop/HotSync, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

In the link above, the person indicated that he got it to work without installing anything. I am curious how that was done.

But nevermind all that for now. What exactly does PDANet do? I can read but it's unclear. It seems to me that if I installed Palm Desktop/HotSync (and therefore the necessary drivers), I can just follow the numerous instructions out there to tether my 650. Why do I need PDANet?

Does PDANet actually allow me to have FASTER data rates when tethering? How???

Thanks!
    JAMES.
    There is no modem driver for the Treo per se - you use the Bluetooth software on your PC to establish a virtual modem connection to your Treo; the necessary virtualization drivers, etc, are all part of your Bluetooth suite.

Of course, if you're using a Cingular 650, you'll need to install Shadowmite's DUN patch to enable dial-up networking on the phone. In fact, you might find his DUN how-to useful regardless of your carrier.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. I have an unlocked 650 so I won't need Shadowmite's patch. It appears that my Toshiba BT stack does not include a virtual modem service. It presents me with Window's Phone and Modem dialog box and asks me to install a modem. The generic doesn't seem to work.

Any information on PDANet and why it is necessary, assuming my BT service does include virtual modem service?

JAMES.
    If you enable DUN on the 650, and set it Discoverable, you should see it in your My Bluetooth Places on the laptop, and you should be able to iscover the services offered by the 650, then double-click on the serial or modem service to establish a virtual link. If not, you may want to try Toshiba's support resources, because it should work on your unlocked 650.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  7.    #7  
    Toshiba installs the BT modem using a "standard 33600 modem". I actually got it working using the driver for the S710a. The standard modem's fastest port speed is 115200, while the S710a's driver provides >460K.

Thanks for your help.
    JAMES.
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman
    Toshiba installs the BT modem using a "standard 33600 modem". I actually got it working using the driver for the S710a. The standard modem's fastest port speed is 115200, while the S710a's driver provides >460K.

Thanks for your help.
    JAMES.
    I am using an unlocked GSM 650 for BT DUN, and as GPRS bandwidth is less than the 115200 that the standard modem gives, I haven't bothered to change it. Good thought though, I'll have to remember that if Telstra ever implements EDGE...