View Poll Results: Treo In Healthcare

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Invaluable

    112 75.68%
  • Occasionally Helpful

    33 22.30%
  • Doesn't do much but a cool toy

    2 1.35%
  • Useless...old pen and paper wins!

    1 0.68%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 252
  1. #141  
    I would like to seek the experience of posters here in Prescription writing program. Any recommendations?
  2. peteraw's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #142  
    I have been fussing with the palm stuff since I was a resident in the navy. Just got the 650 and am loving it.

    Here is what I have not yet figured out...how do you use the PDA functions while yapping on the phone? Do you just all use a headset? Speakerphone?...Any unique solutio
  3. #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by peteraw
    I have been fussing with the palm stuff since I was a resident in the navy. Just got the 650 and am loving it.

    Here is what I have not yet figured out...how do you use the PDA functions while yapping on the phone? Do you just all use a headset? Speakerphone?...Any unique solutio
    1. I purchased a Scala Bluetooth from TC & have been using it while ridding back home in the car, also when talking to & looking data my Laptop at home, etc. I must say it is a MAJOR difference compared to trying to manouver all things at once(specially the TREO is not a an ear-friendly device). I can also, ocassionally "press 1 for this or that" sinceyou can tap the screen.

    2. Voicedial complements the above by allowing to "tell the Treo" what telephone to call without taking your eyes from the road.

    Now, if it only could answer the Nurses questions also....... (maybe pre-set SMS?)

    Simon
  4.    #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9
    Is anyone using Skyscape products successfully? I've tried installing numerous Skyscape apps (DrDrugs, Clinical Anesthesia of MGH, etc.) in the past few days and NONE of them work. I even hard-reset my device and installed under a new username, just to eliminate other apps as possible conflicts, all without success. After the hotsync and reset, when I try to load the app, it just hangs-- sometimes on a white screen, sometimes on the skyscape intro screen. I have a sprint phone with the new 1.08 ROM, but the same thing happened before the update. Any ideas?
    I had a similar problem..had to remove all aspects of the program and start afresh...including deleting the desktop portion. I now keep most of the databases on my card (using Zlauncher) and have found that it works quite well...5Minute Ortho is the only software I use with it. I also use Mobipocket for other texts. Depending on what you are looking for you might want to give them a look as well.
    __________________
    Jazz is life
    SharpWizard->Zaurusx3->PalmIII-PalmV->Vx->Treo180->270-->Bberry--T650--Treo 700p---Treo750
  5. #145  
    This is a great thread!

    I am an OB/GYN. I cannot deal with epocrates. Takes WAY too much space. They rarely answer their emails. I have inquired about them updating their product for use on an SD card. They say it is not "in the works." Hard to believe in 2005.

    I have tried all the drug programs and found the Tarascon product to be the best. AND they answer their emails promptly and precisely! (I have no financial interest in them....just found it to be the best)


    I would love to use my treo as a pager, but I agree with some of the comments above: as an OB, I could never have a five or ten minute delay when I am in a "dead" zone for verizon (yes they exist!!). anyone have ideas on this? Seems like we need the old analog circuitry for a pager to hit all the dead zones.
  6. #146  
    Another great replacement for Epocrates (if only they would listen to their customers!) - LexiDrugs. My PharmD intro'd me to it since she said it was what her pharmacists association recommends. It seems quite complete and does run off expansion cards. I like Tarascon as well, but when I tried it, it didn't have as much detailed information (perhaps updated now).

    I've been trialing a product called MData that sync's our lab/EMR system to our palms; I've really enjoyed it so far. It has been useful in some situations when I've been called by a nurse who doesn't know the patient's background well enough for me to ddx. Once, our computer system went down, but I had sync'd that morning - so at least I had some records and labs to work with.

    Now to try and decide which BT headset... so many contradictory reviews! (individual experiences)
  7.    #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd
    This is a great thread!

    I am an OB/GYN. I cannot deal with epocrates. Takes WAY too much space. They rarely answer their emails. I have inquired about them updating their product for use on an SD card. They say it is not "in the works." Hard to believe in 2005.

    I have tried all the drug programs and found the Tarascon product to be the best. AND they answer their emails promptly and precisely! (I have no financial interest in them....just found it to be the best)


    I would love to use my treo as a pager, but I agree with some of the comments above: as an OB, I could never have a five or ten minute delay when I am in a "dead" zone for verizon (yes they exist!!). anyone have ideas on this? Seems like we need the old analog circuitry for a pager to hit all the dead zones.
    You know...I ponder this frequently...the few times I am in a dead zone I just wonder if it justifies the back-up pager. Of course one malpractice case would certainly put the 9.95/month pager contract in great perspective :-).
    I have gotten to where I generally know where the dead zones are and also know that my service uses my voicemail as a back-up to the sms. When in a known dead zone in the hospital I check my voicemail every 20minutes or so which given how some physicians misplace pagers or are not always so readily available I think gives ample response time (45minute rule at the hospital). The 95% of the time I am not in a deadzone in combo with TreoAlert this thing has been great. Just tonight my PA sent an sms to me while at dinner about a hip fracture and attached an image of the xray so I could accurately inform the OR of what I will need to do the case in the AM!!! My wife had her resident actually video a tracing and send it to her...it was a benign tracing but she wanted to see how it would work. I share all the concerns about dead zones..but wonder with a little planning if that can be worked around. If you check every 20min or so...is that much different then getting a page and being in a dead zone with your cell phone...got to make it to the nearest phone and probably by that time you would have a signal. Just a thought. Responses?
    __________________
    Jazz is life
    SharpWizard->Zaurusx3->PalmIII-PalmV->Vx->Treo180->270-->Bberry--T650--Treo 700p---Treo750
  8. #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9
    Is anyone using Skyscape products successfully? I've tried installing numerous Skyscape apps (DrDrugs, Clinical Anesthesia of MGH, etc.) in the past few days and NONE of them work. I even hard-reset my device and installed under a new username, just to eliminate other apps as possible conflicts, all without success. After the hotsync and reset, when I try to load the app, it just hangs-- sometimes on a white screen, sometimes on the skyscape intro screen. I have a sprint phone with the new 1.08 ROM, but the same thing happened before the update. Any ideas?
    I am running the Washington Manual, 31st ed., without any problems.
  9. #149  
    I've been in healthcare for the last 16 years(CNA and now an RN). I'm an early adopter so I had the first Palm Pilot and have owned every evolution of the palm device. I bought a Sony Clie when they introduced MUSIC! I went back to the Palm when the Tungsten was released.

    I first used my Palm V while I was doing outpatient dialysis, but it was almost more work to input all my pts info than it was worth. When I started doing bedside acute dialysis my Clie and Tungsten were really helpful since I was dealing with 100's fewer pts.
    18 months ago I started my hospice career and the Treo 600 and now the 650 are my coworkers!!! I use epocrates every day. I use express for the 411 function to find nearby drug stores, MD's phone numbers, and other health care related info. I've used the web to help diagnose a pts symptoms. I've used the speakerphone along with conference calling for family confrences(when family members can't be present or conduct a pseudo-house call with the MD).
    I've taken pics of wounds, recorded lung sounds for teaching purposes. I use my Treo 650 with a GPS for finding new pt's homes. I would die without unstressing with Pockettunes!!!!
    I'm planning on buying the Merck manual this year. I already have the Bible and use it every week without fail.
    I would have to bring in a bookbag full of reference books...just in case I need them...to every pt's house. Instead I carrry my phone!!!!
  10. #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmdieter
    I also have epocrates rx pro-every time i use it i get a soft reboot-I have done hard resets, uninstall and reinstall-nothing fixes it-i emailed epocrates but haven't heard anything back yet. I am a pharmacist, and i use epocrates daily. I am not happy about this at all!!!
    I too have reported this bug to epocrates - they are aware of it and tell me they're working on a solution. I've used epocrates for many years and have found their support very good. Hopefully a fix will come soon.
  11. #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictedToTech
    ...I've been trialing a product called MData that sync's our lab/EMR system to our palms; I've really enjoyed it so far. It has been useful in some situations when I've been called by a nurse who doesn't know the patient's background well enough for me to ddx. ....
    Sounds pretty good. Can you give us and idea of what the cost is for their services?
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
  12. #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictedToTech
    Another great replacement for Epocrates (if only they would listen to their customers!) - LexiDrugs. My PharmD intro'd me to it since she said it was what her pharmacists association recommends. ...
    Does LexiDrugs auto update itself now? Used to be only one update per year. Was pretty out of date by end of year.
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
  13. DocGo's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    #153  
    Most LexiDrugs databases are updated at least once a month, the drug database sometimes update once a week. You can download a program from their website (I think it is Lexiconnect) that allows you to update your databases everytime you hotsync. That is why I wish Epocrates can do that since LexiDrugs folks were able to do this for their databases.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
  14. #154  
    I am a techo geek first and healthcare worker 2nd
    As a nurse in the ICU at a large teaching hospital I find my Treo 650 a blessing, I have owned almost every incarnation of palm and ppc and still keep my tung c handy as it is faster and more reliable than my treo. However with the update from sprint I am not having any trouble with the treo so I hope to use it only soon.
    I have a 1gig card and I use my treo for reference, pics of wounds/xray/skin and more, music for myself and cranky pts (cartoons and movies are good w/ mmplayer are good for this also), bugme for quick notes w/ alarms not to mention q1hr accu cks and serial labs, the calc with memory for my magic numbers, work schedule on the calndr
    My hospital subscribes to micromedex so I have that on my treo (database on the card), tons of skyscape with only a few problems.
    Mobipocket for reference, SlovoEd for a dictonary....
    lots and lots more.
    If you don't need a phone then the tung c is the best product out there...
    otherwise I love my treo!
    enjoy,
    1 leg lance
  15. #155  
    Hotoru:
    - I don't know how much we shelled out for MData. We licensed / purchased it in a deal when they were in development; helped debug it and define some areas of the program; they gave us a deal of some sort. Here is there website if you wanted to take a look at it:
    http://www.mercurymd.com/default.asp

    - LexiDrugs, as DocGo pointed out, now has a frequent autoupdate feature - I think it is even definable as to how frequently you want it to check. Epocrates checks every single time I sync; granted - I want to be kept up to date - but when I sync 5+ times a day... it gets a little annoying.
  16. #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by viziblenoize
    I've taken pics of wounds, recorded lung sounds for teaching purposes.
    I was just wondering how you record lung sounds? Are you pressing the mic of the phone to patient's backs and using voice recorder?
  17. #157  
    I'm a pulmonary doc and although I've tried other products, I keep coming back to Epocrates. It has the most elegant autoupdate (especially compared with PDR which re-downloads the entire database each time you sync). When I took it off my system to save memory, I missed it too much. Now the 1.08 ROM update and the use of ZLauncher have allowed me to gain so much memory, I have no problems running Epocrates.

    HOWEVER, thanks to this thread, I have learned that my occasional unexpected reboots have to do with Epocrates. I've found that if I run Epocrates, then turn the screen off with the red phone button, the system does a warm reboot every time. I'll have to check this out some more and see if there are any fixes. I haven't read through all the messages here to see if there is one identified already.

    Sandy
  18. #158  
    Treodoc: I agree with your analysis of the dead zones, but there is no way as an OB we can go 45 or even 20 minutes without being able to be reached. Our state guidlines require 5 minute response time for an emergency.....and they monitor this monthly. I would miss a lot of deliveries (and fetal distress) with that kind of delay!!
  19. #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinal10
    I was just wondering how you record lung sounds? Are you pressing the mic of the phone to patient's backs and using voice recorder?
    You got it! I'm impressed. Most people look like I'm certifiablly insane when I ask permission to place my phone to their loved ones back! I naturally play them back the sound....and then, just like that, I'm a genius!!!
  20. #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9
    Is anyone using Skyscape products successfully? I've tried installing numerous Skyscape apps (DrDrugs, Clinical Anesthesia of MGH, etc.) in the past few days and NONE of them work. I even hard-reset my device and installed under a new username, just to eliminate other apps as possible conflicts, all without success. After the hotsync and reset, when I try to load the app, it just hangs-- sometimes on a white screen, sometimes on the skyscape intro screen. I have a sprint phone with the new 1.08 ROM, but the same thing happened before the update. Any ideas?
    Well, I figured it out. My SD card was causing some sort of conflict-- once I reformatted it, I had no problems with anything. Thanks for the tips.

    -Sketchy

Posting Permissions