• Occasionally Helpful

33 22.30%
  • Doesn't do much but a cool toy

2 1.35%
  • Useless...old pen and paper wins!

1 0.68%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru
    Well, I agree that a solution could be found that could make a PDA HIPAA complaint. But, until those solutions are readily available, I think it will further delay the implementation many means of communications. Perhaps I am just not aware of solutions that exist. Does anyone know of software that allows encrypted email or SMS messages to be sent to both text capable phones and pagers? Since the current technology allows communication between providers by these means and could be used today. If not, how long do you think it will be before widespread secure software exists?
    The HIPAA requires reasonable security measure and not a perfect lockbox system.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdTreo
    The HIPAA requires reasonable security measure and not a perfect lockbox system.
    So you think Pig Latin would qualify
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    For those of you that keep patient information on your treo, have you ever been asked about this or required to turn it over in a legal proceeding? Coming from a medical malpractice defense attorney, I'd suspect what you have on there would be discoverable.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BP57
    For those of you that keep patient information on your treo, have you ever been asked about this or required to turn it over in a legal proceeding? Coming from a medical malpractice defense attorney, I'd suspect what you have on there would be discoverable.
    Makes sense - Electronic patient communications (ie. emails, pages) have been discoverable for a long time - treo's are just another form of storage, and would be no different than your office PC, I wouldn't think.

that being said, if turning over the hardware prevents you from performing as a physician to the rest of your patients, I am not certain the HARDWARE is able to be taken, so much as the electronic information is, unless there is a fear on the part of the court that the information might otherwise be altered or destroyed.
    Visor Deluxe -> Visor Platinum -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w
    HIPAA is has some very practical application.
    One thing that I find extremely frustrating is what I think of as "word pollution" of the medical record. Much of the note is rubber-stamp, legalese that conveys no meaningful information whatsoever. It is written by a computer and no human ever reads it. It wastes my time, because I have to weed through it in order to find the few meaningful bits scattered among the gibberish.
    I'm a Healthcare Architect. Thought I would ask the question ... how do you see PDA's being used and if they aren't already, when do you feel they will be more widely used?
    I also have epocrates rx pro-every time i use it i get a soft reboot-I have done hard resets, uninstall and reinstall-nothing fixes it-i emailed epocrates but haven't heard anything back yet. I am a pharmacist, and i use epocrates daily. I am not happy about this at all!!!
    mmdieter, I am a hospitalist (physician) and have both emailed and called ePocrates. I think the more people contact them the more they will realize that this is a significant problem and will get this fixed. This has shown up in other threads also.
    Yep, HIPPA rules are going to be a great hindrance to advancement of communication in the medical industry. Sadly, using your palm for storage of patient data with a simple on/off password lock is more secure than most of the present "analog" systems. I believe, with a white coat and some scrubs I could walk into the floors of most hospitals around the country and jot down any patient data I needed from the patient chart. Even if questions a simple "Im Dr [Attendings name on chart] new PA" would probably take care of most questions. I am also not sure why it is considered bad to send a SMS for a consult to a doctor that only they will see but, it is ok to call them on the phone at a busy nurses station and discuss the case freely. Ahh, well, that is what we needed, more government in health care

Unfortunately ,policy makers do n't treat patients . I think most HIPPA rules are an overkill.
    What makes you think it is not HIPAA compliant? All and any electronic device can be made compliant. It is not the device that makes it compliant or not. It is your security implementation.

HIPAA is has some very practical application.

If somebody steals the records, the criminals would be prosecuted just as somebody who walks into your office and steal your medical records.
    You ought to know that if a nurse working in the same hospital happens to have a friend in the ER . She is not suppose to see his/her records if she is not directly involved in the care of the patient.
    And yes your hospital will tell you that you can not dictate your notes on your cellphone and can not make any patient database on you personnel equipments .
    If you still have doubts will recommend taking mandatory test or atleast reading HIPPPA privacy rules.
    Why not, you never mentioned the patient name.
    [\QUOTE]
    I am not sure you can take CT or MRI Pictures on your Treo as most of them have patient identifiers.
    If it is password secured, yes you can.

[\QUOTE]
    You cannot describe patient identifiers in the subject of your email .
    So be careful in using all the things you are describing.[/QUOTE]

You can if you have reasonable security implementation.

[\QUOTE]

Finally encryption or no encryption you cannot use patient identifiers on your personnel equipments.
    Any research database needs IRB approval and HIPPA clearance
    I do not carry any patient database, but it is very helpful in communication with my fellows and referring MD's.[/QUOTE]

Since the HIPAA implementation a lot of vendors would scare health care providers. Doctors are vulnerable to this scare tactics in trying to solicit business from you. Be careful about HIPAA seminar sponsored by vendors![/QUOTE]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Because it is esay to find out who coded last night in a hospital . Trust me this was a question in mandatory exam, which i got wrong .
    2. I am an academic physician at tertiary care university hospital . I am not supposed to use patient identifiers in the header of email , within our secure groupwise server email.
    3.How and who is going to check your encryption on personnel equipments ( Which may very physician to physician )unless, they are provided to you by your institution and are standardized.

HIPPA mandatory examination was instituted by our institution not by third party vendors. Violationof the rules carry fine upto $25000 and severe violation may result in jail .
    Not trying to scare anyone ,but his is what i recently learned .
    Quote Originally Posted by paz5559
    Makes sense - Electronic patient communications (ie. emails, pages) have been discoverable for a long time - treo's are just another form of storage, and would be no different than your office PC, I wouldn't think.

that being said, if turning over the hardware prevents you from performing as a physician to the rest of your patients, I am not certain the HARDWARE is able to be taken, so much as the electronic information is, unless there is a fear on the part of the court that the information might otherwise be altered or destroyed.

HIPPA is more about patient confidentiality and not revealing patient information than about tempering with records.
    Yes hardwares can get you in trouble .
    I hope you have read emails disclosed on web in death of a pregnant patient enrolled in an antiviral trial who died of physician 's mistakes.
    Emails from the director of NIH regarding study were disclosed on web the next day.
  13.    #133  
    Curious if anyone else has found good uses for the Treo for billing or as an adjunct to an EMR program? I have found much greater efficiency in my billing of consults and surgeries since utilizing the Treo with add-on software to help with that function.
    Hello All,
    I was wondering if anyone actually does their patient notes on their Treo. I used to use my palm to type rudimentary notes in the past, but it was a burden with grafiti. Now with the thumb keyboard it seem more doable. Anyone have a canned program for admit notes, progress notes, or SOAP notes? If not I am considering writing one for my personal use.
    Is anyone using Skyscape products successfully? I've tried installing numerous Skyscape apps (DrDrugs, Clinical Anesthesia of MGH, etc.) in the past few days and NONE of them work. I even hard-reset my device and installed under a new username, just to eliminate other apps as possible conflicts, all without success. After the hotsync and reset, when I try to load the app, it just hangs-- sometimes on a white screen, sometimes on the skyscape intro screen. I have a sprint phone with the new 1.08 ROM, but the same thing happened before the update. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by mawilson
    ...I was wondering if anyone actually does their patient notes on their Treo..
    I am not sure why anyone would want to put patient notes on the Treo in the office. I think would be better to put in desktop and transfer certain portions of this data to Treo for mobile access. I can see more use with hospital portion of practice and after hours documentation of calls.

Using the palm for 9 years I have seen a lot of apps come and go. Can you be sure the application you are loading with data now will be OS 7 compatible in 4 years? So, going with a big company handybase, patientkeeper, etc... may improve your chances

I have long liked the simplicity of the memopad. The biggest advantage to me is longevity. I have notes in my memopad that I put in back with my Palm 5000. With the built in shortcuts and templates you can speed text entry. I love Cryptopad as you can take your memopad entries and encrypt them to satisfy HIPPA. Unfortunately, Cryptopad is not Treo 650 compatible and probably never will. (Opensource and not much active development).

Patientkeeper is prob a good choice. PK seems a bit bloated if you just want to jot down simple pt notes, major hx, allergies. Other possibilities include Handbase, JFile, or SmartListsToGo
    http://www.dataviz.com/products/smar...ogo/index.html
    (app. formerly known as ThinkDB...my favorite)

Now that Cryptopad is defunct on Treo 650 I do not know of an easy way to encrypt memopad entries. However, if you have good security on device turn-on maybe that would satisfy HIPPA..hmm
    Last edited by Hotoru; 03/31/2005 at 01:08 PM. Reason: mistyped something
    I installed 5MMC w/o problems. The larger file 7 MB (if I read it correctly from fileZ), is in the expansion card.

SImon
    Sorry, have to reply to that. IF shouldn't be worried that your Doc is reseting their treo. You should be more worried that that they don't have to reset the computer system that is running your CT scan while you are under.....
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia169
    Sorry, have to reply to that. IF shouldn't be worried that your Doc is reseting their treo. You should be more worried that that they don't have to reset the computer system that is running your CT scan while you are under.....
    You guys have to try the quote feature. I cannot figure out what you are answering to...
    You guys have to try the quote feature. I cannot figure out what you are answering to...

I agree. What ini the worls are you replying to?......
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast