• Occasionally Helpful

33 22.30%
  • Doesn't do much but a cool toy

2 1.35%
  • Useless...old pen and paper wins!

1 0.68%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by murph71
    There is a company called MercuryMD that delivers results from meditech to a PDA. About 50-60 Meditech Hospitals use it currently. They are based out of Durham NC, and have Meditech Clients accross the country. I know that Riverside Health System in VA is using this solution via Palm Treo devices

www.mercurymd.com

Hope that helps.
    Are they using accessing hospital EMR via the Palm-Browers-Internet or have they found a WifI solution? Our hospital is chock full of WifI access points and we're looking at WiFi EMR devices.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by neilweinrib
    1. What kind of calender software has been found to be most useful especially indicating all the call schedules , appoint ment and meetings ?
    I have had the various interations of Agendus (formerly ActNames). It is extremely flexible and allows you to use icons/colors to delineate you various schedule categories. Has a free time indicator to locate free time in the schedule..etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by WittiDoc
    Are they using accessing hospital EMR via the Palm-Browers-Internet or have they found a WifI solution? Our hospital is chock full of WifI access points and we're looking at WiFi EMR devices.
    It is not a Palm Browser solution. The screen would be too small to expect anyone to use it to see results through the main Meditech interface. What they do is extract all the results from Meditech to a separate server. Then users wirelessly sync to that server to get all their results. They are delivered through an interface designed for use on a PDA. When you need updates you simply sync again (not through a cradle) but either wirelessly, via cell, Infrared, Bluetooth, etc. A sync that includes 7 full days of all results (30 for Micros) for about 50 patients will take 30 seconds to 1 minute. Cell speeds depend on many things. Where are you located?
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I use my T650 and previous Palm/Handspring devices. I use it for drug information but more importantly I keep patient information on it. I can access my entire practice database so that I know when the patient was last seen, medical alerts etc.
    I think that the MercuryMD solution is live at BayFront Health in St. Petersburg. So if you are not too far from them (I think Sarasota is fairly close) you can contact a collegue you might know there.

Just a thought
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by murph71
    I think that the MercuryMD solution is live at BayFront Health in St. Petersburg. So if you are not too far from them (I think Sarasota is fairly close) you can contact a collegue you might know there.

Just a thought
    Is there a solution working in Connecticut? Which software/service do you work with? I utilize MDCoder and am interested in solutions that can give us lab results/xray results (reports..images are a dream).
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy
    I use my T650 and previous Palm/Handspring devices. I use it for drug information but more importantly I keep patient information on it. I can access my entire practice database so that I know when the patient was last seen, medical alerts etc.
    Which software do you utilize to keep patient information?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDoc
    Is there a solution working in Connecticut? Which software/service do you work with? I utilize MDCoder and am interested in solutions that can give us lab results/xray results (reports..images are a dream).
    St. Francis in Hartford is also a client... but they are not live yet. MercuryMD can interoperate with many PDA applications, including MDcoder. At the hospital level, it can be installed into almost any HIS environment: Meditech, IDX, Siemens, Cerner, McKesson, QuadraMed, etc.... IT delivers all clinical results from the host system to the device: Labs, Transcribed reports, Meds, Demographics, Vitals, Micros, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Hi,
    Great thread .
    I recently took a HIPPA privacy mandatory examination. I am not sure if you can do all the things described in the thread .
    HIPPA rules are very strict regarding maintaining patient confidentaility.
    Yep, HIPPA rules are going to be a great hindrance to advancement of communication in the medical industry. Sadly, using your palm for storage of patient data with a simple on/off password lock is more secure than most of the present "analog" systems. I believe, with a white coat and some scrubs I could walk into the floors of most hospitals around the country and jot down any patient data I needed from the patient chart. Even if questions a simple "Im Dr [Attendings name on chart] new PA" would probably take care of most questions. I am also not sure why it is considered bad to send a SMS for a consult to a doctor that only they will see but, it is ok to call them on the phone at a busy nurses station and discuss the case freely. Ahh, well, that is what we needed, more government in health care
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy
    Doubt the Treo 650 is HIPAA compliant for patient data storage. Not that I, or anybody I've ever met think that it was a good idea, but, nvertheless, it's the law, albeit a bad one, at least as its implemented, and you could get in trouble for that sort of thing, if you lost your phone and someone cracked into those records.
    What makes you think it is not HIPAA compliant? All and any electronic device can be made compliant. It is not the device that makes it compliant or not. It is your security implementation.

HIPAA is has some very practical application.

If somebody steals the records, the criminals would be prosecuted just as somebody who walks into your office and steal your medical records.
    Also if you use TreoAlert...it will annoy the H@#l out of you until you recognize the page/call. Very handy as the single beep from the Treo is a bit useless in pager function. Agree with the modem# works like a charm with one of my services that does not have Internet access. Great way to keep a long log of calls and when you answered!
    Anything similar for Cingular?
    Thanks.
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by EdTreo
    Anything similar for Cingular?
    Thanks.
    Ed. TreoAlert will work with any Treo650 (do not know about other models). Try it out. I believe there is a free trial of the software.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru
    Yep, HIPPA rules are going to be a great hindrance to advancement of communication in the medical industry. Sadly, using your palm for storage of patient data with a simple on/off password lock is more secure than most of the present "analog" systems. I believe, with a white coat and some scrubs I could walk into the floors of most hospitals around the country and jot down any patient data I needed from the patient chart. Even if questions a simple "Im Dr [Attendings name on chart] new PA" would probably take care of most questions. I am also not sure why it is considered bad to send a SMS for a consult to a doctor that only they will see but, it is ok to call them on the phone at a busy nurses station and discuss the case freely. Ahh, well, that is what we needed, more government in health care
    Not sure why a simply highly encrypted security program would not do it. From what our HIPAA consultant told us...simply turning the chart around in the rack satisfies patient confidentiality...with high tech solutions like that..cannot imagine a simple password (much like we use on our windows pc's and considered adequate) would not work as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Hi,

Great thread .
    I recently took a HIPPA privacy mandatory examination. I am not sure if you can do all the things described in the thread .
    HIPPA rules are very strict regarding maintaining patient confidentaility.
    Forget the names . You can not even say things like " The patient who coded last night " in the elevator .
    Why not, you never mentioned the patient name.
    [\QUOTE]
    I am not sure you can take CT or MRI Pictures on your Treo as most of them have patient identifiers. [/QUOTE]

If it is password secured, yes you can.

[\QUOTE]
    You cannot describe patient identifiers in the subject of your email .
    So be careful in using all the things you are describing.[/QUOTE]

You can if you have reasonable security implementation.

[\QUOTE]

Finally encryption or no encryption you cannot use patient identifiers on your personnel equipments.
    Any research database needs IRB approval and HIPPA clearance
    I do not carry any patient database, but it is very helpful in communication with my fellows and referring MD's.[/QUOTE]

Since the HIPAA implementation a lot of vendors would scare health care providers. Doctors are vulnerable to this scare tactics in trying to solicit business from you. Be careful about HIPAA seminar sponsored by vendors!
    Ed. TreoAlert will work with any Treo650 (do not know about other models). Try it out. I believe there is a free trial of the software.
    I mean the modem number for Cingular. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by maven
    I haven't had any problems using ePocrates after the ROM upgrade, although I do use the Rx Pro version...
    I have ePocrates pro with Dx & lab and have had the same problem as sketchy9.
  17.    #117  
    I mean the modem number for Cingular. Thanks.
    Not sure. I do know that Sprint, Verizon and Nextel have modem numbers. I would check with Cingular tech support or ask your local paging company. As Cingular used to carry pagers I would think that they do have modem numbers obviously different system than cellualr. Worth a shot..remember that if your service allows email they can email your number as well with text messages.
    What makes you think it is not HIPAA compliant? All and any electronic device can be made compliant. It is not the device that makes it compliant or not. It is your security implementation.
    Well, I agree that a solution could be found that could make a PDA HIPAA complaint. But, until those solutions are readily available, I think it will further delay the implementation many means of communications. Perhaps I am just not aware of solutions that exist. Does anyone know of software that allows encrypted email or SMS messages to be sent to both text capable phones and pagers? Since the current technology allows communication between providers by these means and could be used today. If not, how long do you think it will be before widespread secure software exists?
    Not sure why a simply highly encrypted security program would not do it. From what our HIPAA consultant told us...simply turning the chart around in the rack satisfies patient confidentiality...
    The requirements for traditional paper systems seem much less secure than even the most basic security on personal electronic devices. Yet, many of those security measures might not qualify. It may come down to everyone having patients sign a HIPAA waver
    EdTreo-
    look way back in this thread page 4 at my old message. I asked for a modem number and pin number and Cingular gave me a message center phone number but they didn't know how to use it 1-312-314-9870. If you figure it out post it.
    Ron H
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast