112 75.68%
  • Occasionally Helpful

33 22.30%
  • Doesn't do much but a cool toy

2 1.35%
  • Useless...old pen and paper wins!

1 0.68%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Now if I could just make my QUOTE and color effects work!
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
    this thread is hot as a wildfire. Since we have mentioned a number of programs we use, I'd like to compile a list for future reference:

1.Epocrates (by far, seems the most used)
    2. Mobile PDR
    3. Washington manual
    4. 5MMC
    5. Verichat
    6. Chatter
    7. HanDbase
    8. MDCoder
    9. Act
    10. TreoAlert
    11. PocketTunes
    12. PatientKeeper
    13. Harrison OnLine
    14. Stanford anesthesia
    15. Ipedia
    16. Iscribe
    17. Mobile Merck Medicus
    18. JNC-7
    19. Medrules
    20. MedCalc
    21. Eponyms
    22. Shots2005
    23. Widefind
    24. SplashID
    25. PXA clocker
    26. Lightwave (SMS reminder)
    27. Kinoma
    28. Audacity Audio (for dictations)
    29. MDCoder
    30. CardioMath / ICUmath

Native to the Treo:
    1.Camera for skin & other findings. I also use it to take my grandaughter photos to my family)
    2. SMS to replace the in-famous Pager

And countless great ideas. Next version of this list, will hoopefully have the links to the appropriate sites to look-up or download.

Simon
  3.    #63  
    Thanks for compiling the list. I would like to point out the utility of playing around with HandDbase. Fairly powerful for a handheld database and can interface with MSAccess, has a desktop interface and can export in various formats as well as field mapping. Nothing like your own personal way of doing things. My PA and I have come up with a single database, depending on what we are doing at the moment can be customized via sorts or a filter to list "to do's" for patients, billing of consults (we entered our most common icd/cpt's),On call phone calls and actions taken/meds provided. The site for the developer www.ddhsoftware.com has several free databases that you can use to start and customize. I also utilize Shadow as a project planner and outliner. Very powerful organizational tool that will interface with the built in "to do", datebook and contact applications. It can be found at www.codejedi.com . Two recent uses were organizing a group of docs for a book chapter as well as helping to organize/outline for a local benefit event. If you have a project that you want to breakdown into its component parts, assign to do's and follow the whole thing give Shadow Plan a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by weitzman@intern
    this thread is hot as a wildfire. Since we have mentioned a number of programs we use, I'd like to compile a list for future reference:

1.Epocrates (by far, seems the most used)
    2. Mobile PDR
    3. Washington manual
    4. 5MMC
    5. Verichat
    6. Chatter
    7. HanDbase
    8. MDCoder
    9. Act
    10. TreoAlert
    11. PocketTunes
    12. PatientKeeper
    13. Harrison OnLine
    14. Stanford anesthesia
    15. Ipedia
    16. Iscribe
    17. Mobile Merck Medicus
    18. JNC-7
    19. Medrules
    20. MedCalc
    21. Eponyms
    22. Shots2005
    23. Widefind
    24. SplashID
    25. PXA clocker
    26. Lightwave (SMS reminder)
    27. Kinoma
    28. Audacity Audio (for dictations)
    29. MDCoder
    30. CardioMath / ICUmath

Native to the Treo:
    1.Camera for skin & other findings. I also use it to take my grandaughter photos to my family)
    2. SMS to replace the in-famous Pager

And countless great ideas. Next version of this list, will hoopefully have the links to the appropriate sites to look-up or download.

Simon
    I would like to know how are you able to hold so many of those large programs since 22 mgb is the maximun you can keep in your ram.
    I would love to have the mobile merck but I do not have any room and these programs require a lot of space in your ram. Even using my 1 gb card and zlauncher still cannot accomodate them.
    Sorry Ighitis,
    misundestanding: This is a compilation of programs mentioned in the thread, not my Treo personal list.

Simon
    BTW,
    What case do you like most to carry your Treo?. I have not found yet one that is good enough. ANy suggestions?.

Simon
  7.    #67  
    After having gone through three cases..I came down to a clip type that grabs the Treo snugly and the whole thing slides into a clip on the belt. I found that fumbling to get it out of a pouch simply took to long and was too awkward. I went with the P1 leather latch case. The leather part is completely overstated. It is a snug fitting case that grabs the treo at four points...that entire thing then clips into a belt. It is in the accessories area on this site
    Quote Originally Posted by cheers
    I think this is one of the strengths of using the Treo. If I'm in radiology with a pager, nothing comes through and all my pages are lost. With the Treo I still am unreachable in the rads area but as soon as I leave radiology my voice messages and SMS arrive. Nothing is lost! Better messages are delayed than lost entirely.
    Hi again,
    while it is acceptable for many physicians to delay a call back for 5 ot 10 minutes while looking at x-rays. However, I can't have my coding patient bag themselves while I am in the basement cafeteria chowing down. I'd like to see a separate pager function/circuit in my next phone/pda. Many docs in our hospital say the same thing. Nobody cares about an additional $10/month (hey, we're paying for SMS anyway) but all want a guaranteed one-way connection.

But thanks for answering my question - basically there is no guarantee that an SMS-page will get through.
    I am currently trialing Chapura's KeySuite to sync to Outlook. The original Palm sync function does not support subfolders in the contacts/notes/tasks folders. Does anybody have experience with KeySuite or have better suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    I am an anesthesiologist too and I have problems with signal in one of the 6 facilities I work. I was promised that Sprint will have compltete coverage in all OR's in a month.
    I wonder if there is a billing software that is secure enough and I could use to upload my info to my billing office instead of filling out paperwork.
    TreoDoc, It would interesting if I could set a platform in my Treo650 for the billing of my anesthesia cases. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    First question is whether you do you own billing - then you are in charge and can make some changes., If not, ask your billing company what formats they would accept and what info they really need.
    You can use the ASA's RVG guide (comes on CD i PDF or EXCEL for $100/yr) to pick your RVGs, then used HandDB to design your own template and upload/sync the new patients every night. This would involve some work on your part, but thankfully anesthesiology billing is fairly straight forward.
    Alternatively you could set up an e-mail template, insert patient info etc and e-mail to your billing office after every case (or whenever you connect to the internet).
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDoc
    After having gone through three cases..I came down to a clip type that grabs the Treo snugly and the whole thing slides into a clip on the belt. I found that fumbling to get it out of a pouch simply took to long and was too awkward. I went with the P1 leather latch case. The leather part is completely overstated. It is a snug fitting case that grabs the treo at four points...that entire thing then clips into a belt. It is in the accessories area on this site
    TreoDoc,
    are you at all concerned about bumping the screen into seomthing and breaking it? Can the treo be placed "face-in" into the clip? I've had some plastic clips for my previous phones and several of them just broke and I'd hate to loose my Treo.
    Sedio has a "face in" case/clip that I use.
    It's ok, but as stated earlier, it is akward to get the phone out when someone calls.

Docnusum
    Quote Originally Posted by WittiDoc
    ...But thanks for answering my question - basically there is no guarantee that an SMS-page will get through.
    True, but it should be possible to configure things so that if the message is not received by the phone (and/or acknowledged by the user) then some other action can be taken - in other words, take advantage of the two-way communication built into the device.

Thus, if you patient needs you NOW but your pager does not work for whatever reason, then someone else can be notified and cover for you.

I think this would be server-side functionality, and might require something from the service provider (Cingular, Sprint, etc.). I am not sure.

This would be a great capability and might already exist, even if only for corporate customers.
    TreoDoc,
    are you at all concerned about bumping the screen into seomthing and breaking it? Can the treo be placed "face-in" into the clip? I've had some plastic clips for my previous phones and several of them just broke and I'd hate to loose my Treo.
    I use the Innopocket aluminum case. It does rely on a plastic clip to keep it on my belt, and the screw for the clip does need LockTite applied to be sure it stays secured, but it really protects the phone and you do not need to ever take it out of the case except for a manual reset. It protects everything - including the screen.

It increases the form factor for sure, though. I can still put it in my pocket if I want to take clippy thing off (take the screw out), but I don't do that.
    Last edited by westronic; 03/22/2005 at 12:09 PM.
    I use a case called the Krusell Classic (made by Krusell, obviously). It's extremely low profile while enclosing the entire unit including the screen. It clips very easily onto my belt, and when unclipped, it is still sleek enough to fit into my suit jacket inside pocket or even a large pocket in my lab coat. It's the next best thing to having a "naked" Treo.
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    True, but it should be possible to configure things so that if the message is not received by the phone (and/or acknowledged by the user) then some other action can be taken - in other words, take advantage of the two-way communication built into the device.

Thus, if you patient needs you NOW but your pager does not work for whatever reason, then someone else can be notified and cover for you.

I think this would be server-side functionality, and might require something from the service provider (Cingular, Sprint, etc.). I am not sure.

This would be a great capability and might already exist, even if only for corporate customers.
    How about one of the SMS Triggering programs (TreoHelper?) to send an Acknowledgement.
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    How about one of the SMS Triggering programs (TreoHelper?) to send an Acknowledgement.
    That's got great potential to work. I won't be investigating it, as I have no need for this capability.
    Neil,

It's rudimentary to say the least but the way I do it seems to work. Cingular's phone service already has an option to "page" a person if the caller reaches the voicemail. They simply type their number like they would page anyone, then the call gets received via SMS. While some people think this is reliable, my experience has been that if the reception is poor...the page will keep trying to come in until you reach an area with satisfactory reception. In other words, as one other poster put it, "better late than never." Can't say the same about my old standard pager.

What I do is during clinic, I just set my phone to forward calls to my voicemail and the pager prompt plays when the callers call.

With regards to "Lightwav", it is a third party application to incorporate MP3s for ringtones. I have several authentic pager sounds, beeper tones that I use for SMS messages. Thus, if I get paged...it really sounds like I got paged. heh.

PXA clocker is also a third party application used to overclock the Treo 650. Currently, it runs in the 300ish Mhz range which is below its ability and probably set to conserve battery power. However, when need be, I jack it up safely so far to 507Mhz. Eat that Tungsten C. I helps alot for dictionaries or large databases on my Treo 650.

Both programs are free to downoad. Lightwav has a trial basis though and PXA clocker is essentially free sans a few functions. I don't really need for those paid options at all.

Let me know how I can host the short mp3 pager ringtones and I will!

Hope that helps.
    Physician User
    (actually 4th year medical student, sorry for the name)

Quote Originally Posted by neilweinrib
    Hi:

Physician User:

How do you use your Treo as a pager ? If I do not have answering service, how somebody can send SMS message ?

What is PXA clocker and Lightwave ?
    PhysicianUser really MedicalStudentUser-
    The problem is that our pages are text, not just a number so the "paging" function of the cell phone will not work.
    I called Cingular about a modem number and pin number as referenced in an earlier post from TreoDr and I got a Message Center phone number, but the tech person did not have a pin number, so that has not gotten me far.
    I did find my phone's email address- mynumber@mobile.mycingular.com so now I am waiting for my service to see if that can make use of this.
    Of course all this talk about dead zones in hospitals now makes me nervous, but what the heck, I'm an internist so if they are really sick they should be calling 911, not me!
  20.    #80  
    TreoDoc,
    Yes there are inward facing clips...also in the accessories area. My concern was the Treo popping out or fumbling it while taking it out of the inward clip. I share your concern but so far so good...............