112 75.68%
  • Occasionally Helpful

33 22.30%
  • Doesn't do much but a cool toy

2 1.35%
  • Useless...old pen and paper wins!

1 0.68%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I am an EKG interpreter in nursing school and you just cant carry 20 books with you at work or school to look up everything as fast as you can on a pda, and there is no better pda for me than the t650.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    I'd Freak Out To See My Cardiologist Resetting His 650!!!!!!!!
    Would you also freak out to know that the light bulbs in your cardiologist's office occasionally burn out and must be replaced? That the battery in his pager eventually dies and also has to be replaced? That line power goes down, even in hospitals, occasionally?

If you think every last nut, bolt, and solder joint in the equipment MD's and other medical professionals use is somehow infallible, you're dreaming. We all live in the same imperfect world. It's not about having perfect technology, which doesn't exist; it's about having a back-up plan so that patients' lives aren't threatened when the imperfections manifest themselves. No one is going to die in the thirty seconds while your cardiologist is waiting for his Treo to reboot.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    Hello all!!!

My first intro with the Palm was back in 2001. Back then I had the Palm IIIX. Had the usual contact info. and Epocrates. Loved the Epocrates software, but then it was a gamble whether or not it will HOTSYNC to my PC. Eventually the unit stopped functioning all together.

Now in 2005, and after reading many articles on PDA/Phones I decieded to take the plunge. My first T-650 had nothing but soft resets and the known voicmail issues, mind you I purchased the phone during the first week of release. After many frustrations with the first one I returned it and waited. TreoCentral has been a great resorce of info/knowledge. Many of the members here are Tech junkies and have found many remedies and solutions. I finally purchase another T-650 when it was confirmed the Sim chip was the culprit. As a dentist in the greater L.A. area many of my patients have a list of medical and helath related issues and meds to control them. I have found Epocrates to be extremely effective. I was amazed at how much more they have added to this program.....simply love it.

The only 3rd party apps running on the 650 are Epocrates and Kinoma. Both have worked well and no issues. I tried backup buddy and had nothing but hotsync problems (mishaps). I don't recommend backup buddy for this reason. Like many of you we update/Hotsyn frequently and this software is a nightmare. I have ALL my contacts in place and soon my patient info will be installed into the T-650. All my emegency calls come directly to me and patients love the fact I am reachable after hours.

I agree the Cell phone/PDA convergence is here and there are bugs associated with it. In time it will only get better and smaller. Now I can understand why some people cannot live without their PDA. Yes with our busy lives we need to be able to consolidate out "lives" into a PDA so we can satisfy our Type-A personality
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Thanks TreoDoc for starting this forum. I have Epocrates loaded on my Treo and I love it. It has been an invaluable reference for me for several years now. I currently work in the pharmaceutical research arena, so I haven't had the opportunity to receive prescriptions via electronic devices and like another pharmacist posted on this chat, would love to know how that is working. Because of this thread, I have learned of several new programs that I am certain I must have. Thanks everyone
    <enters tepidly>
    I'm not a Heathcare Professional currently (I was an Emerg Medical Technician but no PDA then). But I am a patient with a disease that causes numerous tumors. I've taken to using my Treo 600 to track all my essential stats (surgeries, meds,allergies etc) and as a result of this thread have entertained the idea of things like an electronic copy of my latest radiologists report. (Experience has shown Docs not familiar with my case tend to get excited when they see all those brain tumors on a CT). If it had the resolution,a copy of the MRIs would be neat but probably take up a lot of space too.
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    <enters tepidly>
    I'm not a Heathcare Professional currently (I was an Emerg Medical Technician but no PDA then). But I am a patient with a disease that causes numerous tumors. I've taken to using my Treo 600 to track all my essential stats (surgeries, meds,allergies etc) and as a result of this thread have entertained the idea of things like an electronic copy of my latest radiologists report. (Experience has shown Docs not familiar with my case tend to get excited when they see all those brain tumors on a CT). If it had the resolution,a copy of the MRIs would be neat but probably take up a lot of space too.

VHL?
    You should look at Osman Ratib's Osirix: http://homepage.mac.com/rossetantoine/osirix/

It allow for storage of MRI's (or similar digital images) on an IPOD.
    using the treo 650 as a pager may have limitations? As in many areas of the hospital I lose sprint signal , whereas my pager I don't.
    for recording conversations what software is recommnded?
    Seems like healthcare is a good field for the treo...There is a company called "Doctor Evidence" that provides evidence based medicine services to patients and doctors and in talking they informed me they are planning on rolling out a treo/palm version that well help doctors get evidence based medicine information to help them and their patients to make informed decisions about their medical condition. http://www.doctorevidence.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal
    Would you also freak out to know that the light bulbs in your cardiologist's office occasionally burn out and must be replaced? That the battery in his pager eventually dies and also has to be replaced? That line power goes down, even in hospitals, occasionally?
    Let me add to your list:

The battery in the permanent pacemaker dies and the patient goes into her baseline complete heart block with a heart rate in the 30's.

Damn that technology!
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Hi,
    I am an anestheiologist and have used Palms for quite a while. I just bought a Treo650 with Cingular. I added a 512MB card. I have some questions for the more seasoned Treo users:
    1. I'd like to install ClinicalAnesthesia to my card. The applications does not allow this but suggests that the Treo Manula would help - well it does not. Any ideas?
    2. I'd like to get my pages on the Treo but share concerns with others about signal strength. Does anybody actually have experince with receiving pages/SMS messages in areas where s/he has "no bars"?
    3. I use Outlook 2002 and am now trialing Chapura's KeySuite to sync my multi subfolder contacts. It's ok but not great. Does anbody have a better solution?

Thanks
    I use my Treo for dictation as well as storing reference material. Audacity Audio has a great application that is easy to use. The application runs from internal memory, but the files can be recorded directly to the SD card. Many doctors like a recorder with a slide switch, but I find the Audacity implementation of the navigation pad much more useful. I can play, record, and do all the normal record functions just by using the navigation pad. When I Sync the files are automatically sent via FTP to my transcriptionist's web site. I can even email files to referring doctors by using a link to my contact list. The email address overrides the default transcriptionist setting. It includes access control and encrypted files. You can also include things like a priority level, ICD-9 code, work type, and patient ID. Works great for me. I use the Audacity Pro/LAM package.
    I'm a psychologist (I know not a "real doctor" ), but I voted anyway. I use the Treo 650 everyday in my practice; Schedule, client info (PHI only), DSM IV, billing software, pager, and phone. I find it extremely helpful and have for several years (began with a Palm III). Great thread!
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
  13.    #53  
    Great to see all of the responses. I have had similar issues regarding paging particularly in the operating room. I do get signals in most places in the hospital except down in the dungeon of radiology. When I know I will be there for some sig period of time I will call my service to either call there or call my office who can find me. The number of times that I am in a non-service area are so few that I cannot justify adding a pager. I can see the concern for an anesthesiologist as you often spend singificant parts of your day in a potential dead zone in many hospitals (operating room). I have been able to get pages even with no bars...although once the deal goes to Roam or no signal all bets are off. Launcher has been of great assistance in memory management. Several programs that supposedly do not have card support I have had good success in sending the bulkier pieces to the card. Downside you are stuck using THAT card in order to access your programs...upside it was a good reason to guy 1gig card :-). Any one using in charge capture or as any part of documenting the patient encounter?
    We use HandDbase when on call to record phone calls and any consultations that come in. Custom database we have developed that works to allow for billing of these encounters as well as basic clinical info so when the patient arrives in the office we are not at ground zero.
    I am an anesthesiologist too and I have problems with signal in one of the 6 facilities I work. I was promised that Sprint will have compltete coverage in all OR's in a month.
    I wonder if there is a billing software that is secure enough and I could use to upload my info to my billing office instead of filling out paperwork.
    TreoDoc, It would interesting if I could set a platform in my Treo650 for the billing of my anesthesia cases. Any ideas?
    Thanks
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    I am an anesthesiologist too and I have problems with signal in one of the 6 facilities I work. I was promised that Sprint will have compltete coverage in all OR's in a month.
    I wonder if there is a billing software that is secure enough and I could use to upload my info to my billing office instead of filling out paperwork.
    TreoDoc, It would interesting if I could set a platform in my Treo650 for the billing of my anesthesia cases. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ighitis. Thanks for the message. I personally use MDCoder in my practice (www.mobiledesigntech.com) . Comes in varying flavors all the way up to a multi-user enterprise variety. It will provide all reasonable icd's for a given chosen CPT code...stores several important data fields of info on the patient. Works well..can be converted for a call list as well (less important for you). There was a program out my ZapMed www.zapmed.com called ZapBillAnesthesia. Not sure if they are still around. MDEverywhere has a nice system that incorporates billing. Enter charges on handheld...send billing via hotsync or wirelessly to their center where they scrub the charges...check billing rules and submit and collect. Also check out PatientKeeper at www.patientkeeper.com/solutions/chargekeeper.asp There are lots of programs available. Download a few trials and see what works for you.
    Thanks for the info.
    Hello,
    I use my 650 as an intergral part of my mobile practice. I function as a Primary Care Provider for "homebound" patients. Currently, I average 15-17 interactions (12-13 "billable")"housecalls" daily which equates to approx. 650 miles a week (M-F/roundtrip).

Daily, I use:

1) Acer C300 Tablet PC- WiFi/BT/IrDA, Custom EMR, Blue Tooth GPS (all patient's residences show as flags on live GPS system. I can preplan my daily route and approximate my time. ), Tri band Wireless Phone/Data Network PC Card w/"CSD" option (T-Mobile CSD= "live" Faxes).
    I welded a laptop stand like the cops use and employ a power inverter.

2) Canon Bjc 85- Portable Printer.

3) Treo 650 & BlueTooth headset- I use the Skycape suite and Epocrates atleast 15-20 times a day. I use the camera to send pics of "questionable manifestations" of, and "treatment options" for disease states to my Sponsoring/Supervising Physician.

4) 05 Subaru Baja Turbo (All Wheel Drive-good for snow), decent MPG with some kick-turbo,decent size-for agility/protection, Alarm system, Satellite Radio-continuous stream of Jazz, Reggae and Comedy.

5) Wireless Home Network (pull into the driveway and I'm connected to my homeoffice computer/Ftp: Transcriptionist/billing & coding). All dictation crosses my SP's Desktop prior to billing.

By no means, do all these systems/programs work flawlessly , but they do work!!!

I'd like to see an EMR program designed specifically for the super smartphone and WinXp/TPC.

This program would be set up on the Smartphone as follows:

<dropdown patient list-populated by data base> <dropdown location list-populated by data base>

< active dx's> <allergies>

S: <dictation>

Complete ROS <Check Boxes> (check means +)
    When note is printed on letterhead, negative and positive ROS separated into distinct paragraphs

A current Medications link already associated in database to selected patient on every page.

O: <dictation>
    <With checkboxes for body system examined> Checkboxes assist EM Coder

A: <Numbered Dropdown list with hyphenated ICD9>
    (top ten in list are dx's already associated in database to selected patient) Horses not Zebras!!!!

P: <Numbered List populated by A:>
    <dictation> <pharmacy database/link>

Billing: <built in EM Coder that Bills and Codes based on items selected in all sections S-P.>

This program should/would support all current wire/wireless PC/Server network standards.

This program would also allow me to record both sides of a phone conversation when I'm on call and attach the recording to a patient's file in the PC database on the network when I sync.

The PC part of the software would/should allow for data manipulation, mining and wire/wireless BT/802.11.bg/IrDa sync to pc/server base.

Hopefully...one day...

DocNusum

Handspring 90, 300->P1 650
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDoc
    I have had similar issues regarding paging particularly in the operating room. I do get signals in most places in the hospital except down in the dungeon of radiology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wittidoc
    I'd like to get my pages on the Treo but share concerns with others about signal strength.
    I think this is one of the strengths of using the Treo. If I'm in radiology with a pager, nothing comes through and all my pages are lost. With the Treo I still am unreachable in the rads area but as soon as I leave radiology my voice messages and SMS arrive. Nothing is lost! Better messages are delayed than lost entirely.
    You could also just send all "on call" calls to voicemail and screen out the "Mrs. Johnson had a non-injury fall and Lost 2lbs in 3 months" calls. This way you could respond immeadiatly to the emergent/urgent calls while noting and casually responding to the "normal Lab/I need a refill on my Doss prescription" pages.

DocNusum
    [COLOR=Black][QUOTE=mgauss]... I'd Freak Out To See My Cardiologist Resetting His 650!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    QUOTE]

Well, THIS cardiologist has never had to reset his TREO.

In NYC, I run into some penetration issues with cell phone signals and there are many times in my hospital where the nurses would castrate me if I pulled out a phone on a telemetry unit, so I prefer my pager for messages.

I have been using EpocratesPro since my Palm 515. No memory issues on my T650. I have noted (along with some colleagues) that there is a conflict between Epocrates and Vindigo, possibly because of a similar AutoUpdate mechanism between the two. Since my practice incorporates internal medicine as well as cardiology, I find Epocrates too indespensible to negociate over, so... good-bye Vindigo.

My hospital recently enabled our electronic depository (of patient data) to be accessable from wireless Palm OS handhelds. I now can look up hospitalized patients' lab values, test results and discharge summaries from... well, anywhere! Cardiac catheterization films are digitized and available from a secure web page and echocardiograms will soon follow. I am also able to log on to our web-based dictation service and call up any dictated summary that has been entered on a patient- very helpful while I'm covering colleagues who are on vacation.

My hospital does allow direct access to our central computer system, but only on PPC handhelds with Wi-Fi. It's great to be able to walk onto a ward and call up all your patients' vitals and lab values, as well as write orders all while walking down the hallway.

I've picked up a few cute formula programs like CardioMath and ICUMath, and I keep a program with handy echocardiographic formulas that I do have burried deep in my brain, but it's just faster to be able to punch in the numbers and have the math done for you. I also have a great eponyms program that's great to use on rounds with students and housestaff.

Mostly though, I use my 650 to make other doctors jealous. I love seeing them turn this color here with envy!!
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast