• Doesn't do much but a cool toy

2 1.35%
  • Useless...old pen and paper wins!

1 0.68%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy
    I just upgraded from a Samsung i500.

I use Epocrates from time-to-time.

This is my first phone with a camera. The camera came in handy the other day. There was a finding on the g/u exam in a place where the sun don't shine and that the pt. could not see. I snapped a picture and showed it to the patient, who was happy to see what I was talking about. (I immediatley deleted the pic, of course, afterward.)

The instability of the phone is an issue. I wonder how many calls I am missing when the thing is resetting itself, which happens about 6-10x/day (no kidding), depending on its use.
    Sounds like you may have a software conflict somewhere. Which 3rd party apps do you have loaded on your treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Sounds like you may have a software conflict somewhere. Which 3rd party apps do you have loaded on your treo?
    Snapper, BackupBuddyVFS, Chatter, SpellCheck, PTunes, Uninstaller, BackupBuddyVFS, Epocrates, VoiceMemo, TreoAlarm, Chess Tiger, Solitaire, Zap!2016, Adobe Reader, Bejeweled, Card Export, EzFTP, Graffiti Anywhere FileZ, HandZipper, PowerRUN, DocsToGo, Diddlebug, Directory Assistant, and SeaTraffic. I have the Axalto 64K SIM (or whatever the one ending with an A is). Any known incompatibilities there?

I ran the factory fresh unit (never synched, no software installed) that I purchased from the Cingular website for about a week and it reset at about the same frequency, maybe a little less, but then it was less interesting to use without added software, so I used it less. Even then it would reset itself just while sitting on the desk without touching it. I'm thinking that going in and out of service might be one of the triggers, as it always seems somewhat more prone to this behavior as I go into interior spaces of the hospital, further from windows, where the signal is weaker or not present.

Many of the crashes occur when exiting or starting either Chatter or the Phone or starting the Web browser. I seem to get far more at home, where the Cingular signal is much weaker, than I do at work in the city.

Is there a way to get a log of crashes, other than just the #*377?

(To give you an idea of the frequency, it reset while I was typing this and just hitting the home key to check on what programs I had.)
  3.    #23  
    Doubt the Treo 650 is HIPAA compliant for patient data storage. Not that I, or anybody I've ever met think that it was a good idea, but, nvertheless, it's the law, albeit a bad one, at least as its implemented, and you could get in trouble for that sort of thing, if you lost your phone and someone cracked into those records.
    I don't think HIPAA is an issue as there are many programs that put PC level encryption on the treo (OnlyME is one that I use). Anyone else have thoughts in this regard
  4.    #24  
    Other options is to use PCS Business Connection (if using MS Exchange)....I use ACT and do a BT HotSync...can you view your Yahoo calendar using the browser?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDr
    hirschr,

I use my Treo as a pager. Don't need to have internet access to do this. Call your carrier and ask them for the modem number and pin number. I know Sprint and Verizon can give this to you as other MDs I know do the same. Your answering service inputs these numbers in there software and sends a message just as they would to a alpha pager. Comes to you as SMS message. the best part is you can directly dial the return phone number from the message!!

Hope this helps
    Also if you use TreoAlert...it will annoy the H@#l out of you until you recognize the page/call. Very handy as the single beep from the Treo is a bit useless in pager function. Agree with the modem# works like a charm with one of my services that does not have Internet access. Great way to keep a long log of calls and when you answered!
    Snapper, BackupBuddyVFS, Chatter, SpellCheck, PTunes, Uninstaller, BackupBuddyVFS, Epocrates, VoiceMemo, TreoAlarm, Chess Tiger, Solitaire, Zap!2016, Adobe Reader, Bejeweled, Card Export, EzFTP, Graffiti Anywhere FileZ, HandZipper, PowerRUN, DocsToGo, Diddlebug, Directory Assistant, and SeaTraffic. I have the Axalto 64K SIM (or whatever the one ending with an A is). Any known incompatibilities there?

I ran the factory fresh unit (never synched, no software installed) that I purchased from the Cingular website for about a week and it reset at about the same frequency, maybe a little less, but then it was less interesting to use without added software, so I used it less. Even then it would reset itself just while sitting on the desk without touching it. I'm thinking that going in and out of service might be one of the triggers, as it always seems somewhat more prone to this behavior as I go into interior spaces of the hospital, further from windows, where the signal is weaker or not present.

Many of the crashes occur when exiting or starting either Chatter or the Phone or starting the Web browser. I seem to get far more at home, where the Cingular signal is much weaker, than I do at work in the city.

Is there a way to get a log of crashes, other than just the #*377?

(To give you an idea of the frequency, it reset while I was typing this and just hitting the home key to check on what programs I had.)
    There were some known problems with Chatter. Do you have the latest version? But you said that you had these reset problems even without any apps......have you tried using a different Axalto SIM card?
    im a pharmacist and epocrates is a huge part of my daily workflow. quick, concise, easy to use and trustworthy. Epoc is also unmatched in its ability for realtime insurance formulary data to educate those MD's that aren't somehow aware in this day and age that not EVERY insurance pays for every med. the only drawback is it's lack of SD card support, which is compounded by the treo's inefficient use of memory. other programs which are helpful are the mobile merck medicus, and mobile micromedex. MDX isnt' as reliable information-wise, but still acts as a nice second reference to back up the epoc info.
    other great programs: first aid, JNC-7, MedRules, MedCalc, Eponyms, iPedia, Shots 2005, and WideFind.
    I've tried Skyscape's programs....i dont quite get the layout of all their stuff. i just know that everytime i've downloaded a program, i've taken it off within a few days due to stability issues, memory issues, or lack of complete info. same goes for the PDR (which is a horrible reference anyways in paper form or software form)

I started with kyocera 6035, then kyo 7135, then treo 600, now the Treo 650. every med professional should have a palm pilot.

what's the feedback from the Med Prof's that use the Treo during practice? do patients look at you funny when you start playing with your phone in the exam room, pharmacy, or office? or are most people accepting of the newer technology? for the MD's that prescribe using the palm, do you find it reduces med errors? e-prescribing obviously reduces the handwriting misinterpretation issues, but there's still the risk of clicking the wrong strength, drug, etc. anyone have any feedback on what's the best program for writing and sending rx's via e-fax?

great topic, TreoDoc... thanks for starting it :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    There were some known problems with Chatter. Do you have the latest version? But you said that you had these reset problems even without any apps......have you tried using a different Axalto SIM card?
    Thanks.

Yes, I actually have had two different Axalto SIM cards because Cingular originally ported the wrong number to my phone and told me that I had to replace the SIM card (don't know if that's true, but I did). While I didn't have the first SIM card for long, on a virginal phone, and one that I'm not even sure what activated to a number, it reset a few times, twice actually without doing anything at all.

Most commonly I get that the reset was caused "while running "<unknown application>": SystemMgr.c, Line:5168, No More Owner IDs"
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Treo 650 Not N O T Ready For Health Care. It Crashes Too Much! That Is Ok For Teenagers, But I'd Freak Out To See My Cardiologist Resetting His 650!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 650 Is Not Ready For Prime Time, Certainly Not For Health Care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Treo 650 Not N O T Ready For Health Care. It Crashes Too Much! That Is Ok For Teenagers, But I'd Freak Out To See My Cardiologist Resetting His 650!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 650 Is Not Ready For Prime Time, Certainly Not For Health Care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh, for goodness sakes... what are the real facts?

Sometimes, the Treo 650 resets depending upon what software is installed, that's true. Of course, except in rare cases, it recovers from the resets in less than 30 seconds and no medical personnel are using it for split-second decisions, as far as I know.

Now, I agree, that for this sort of business use it is VERY important that the configuration be stable, but I also think that's very possible with the Treo 650.

There are a number of doctors using this device to assist in making critical medical decisions, and it's working well for them. Who are we to second-guess that and tell them the device that they find is reliable and useful is a piece of junk?

I get a bit weary of some small number of folks who are indeed legitimately struggling to get everything working properly on this device scream about how the device is not ready for prime time when it is working just fine for many, many others.

I have no problem at all with pointing out specific problems, but general more-or-less irrational ranting serves no one.
    I'm a 4th year medical student and the Treo 650 does wonders.

1. Works as my pager.
    2. I syncronize to Outlook 2003. I also use Plaxo which updates all my contacts so they are VERY up-to-date. me <-> Treo 650 <-> Outlook <-> Plaxo <-> Contacts
    3. Splash ID is the best for all those web portals, serials, ID's, applications you need to fill out.
    4. Versamail was a godsend for residency interviews and being able to contact programs ASAP.
    5. Bluetooth was a godsend when driving on residency interviews too.

In general, I run all programs from the SD card except Epocrates.

Recommendations for Other Medical Users:
    1. Update your Cingular Treo 650 with the recommended Cingular Voicemail Firmware update. It will increase your RAM by 2 to 4 MB potentially!
    2. Also make sure your Versamail is syncronizing to "essential" IMAP server folders. For me, Inbox is sufficient to maximize memory space Right now the RAM works pretty well. I even have 8MB to spare with Epocrates.
    3. PXA Clocker works well if you need to use Stedmans Dictionary or other large databases. I set it at 507Mhz when I know I need to use it frequently. Helps speed the apps alot!
    4. I use Lightwave to set a "pager beeping" sound for SMS text messsages or voicemails.
    Sorry,
    I meant patient tracker by handheld med. The PDA version was free until recdntly.
    Pocket Addict

Clie UX50/Ti68/Nextel BB 6510/Treo600/SE T637/Audiovox 5600/HP 4700/Audiovox PPC 6601

I think I am an expert in resets, not because I know what causes them but because I had so many:
    first, I bought a Sprint650 & returned it after 2 Wks 'cause reception was not good enough at home + work (resets where frequent but I thought it was me not knowing how to use it). Then got a Cingular 650 & had, again 10-20 resets/d. Suddenly, I removed & re-installed Versamail (per P1 website) & the resets decreased too 3-5/d I was happy w/ it but my wife talked me into going to Cingular & tell them: They switched the device on the spot (still within the 30 day trial period).

Now I rarely get a reset. My guess is that there is a software conflict & often, the fallback algorithm tells the device to reset. try reinstalling software or trade it in. I love my Treo. So far, using Epocrates, 5MMC & about 500 phone# of docs, pharmacies, contacts, etc that make my practice sooooo much more efficient.

Next step, get the pager thingy that you just described!!

PS. thanks for starting this thread.

Simon
    Hi:

Physician User:

How do you use your Treo as a pager ? If I do not have answering service, how somebody can send SMS message ?

What is PXA clocker and Lightwave ?
    Treo, I love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a research pharmacist for a large teaching hospital. We're involved in 120+ protocols and I use my 650, along with Documents to Go, to keep all of our protocol-specific pharmacy, nursing, and computer order entry information available to me when I'm not at the hospital. In the event that I get paged with a question from the study nurse or another pharmacist, I can look at the same information they are looking at.

I also have numerous healthcare-related programs on my T650 as well, but don't use them as much as some of the other, more "clinical" pharmacists. Most notably, I use the mobile version of Micromedex.

Using my T650 as my pager would be a welcome reduction in the number of devices I carry around. Need to check with the hospital paging system to see if I can get this to work.
    I too go back to the Zaurus days Doc,

I even had phone numbers to hardware and software developers at Sharp.

I thought I used my equipment to better my time, but you are AWESOME! BRAVO!

I remember the first time I pulled out my smartphone at a convention, and a doc pulled out hers to say "just let me beam my contact info over...", it gave me a little shiver.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by TreoDoc
    A little more about me. I began using PDA's in medical school when I had the first Sharp Wizard units and stuck with them all the way to the Zaurus..had from an early age tried to push the thing past its limits...used a telephone book to store patients and patient data...bought the sidecar modem and used to fax my notes to a local fax machine at the nurses station and put on the chart (with much rebuking). Kept with the Zaurus through residency but found as a fellow when I was spending less time in scrubs and a white coat that the Zaurus was too bulky...which is when I switched to the Palm OS. Again...had wired modems and wireless modems for my Palm V and Vx and began using Epocrates and the early versions of Patient Keeper. As noted previously I have been with Treo's since the release of the 180 until my present 650. As an orthopaedic surgeon working with PA's it has really been invaluable to have them snap a pic of a fracture in the Emergency Room and send it to me wherever I am so I can decide if I need to go into the hospital or it is something that can simply be casted. As one of a few orthopaedic surgeons covering an Emergency Room to not have to rely on someone painting a verbal picture is invaluable and better care for my patients. I use Epocrates but secondary to space issues may need to move to PDR.
    My office utilize both the SMS capability and Verichat too keep in touch with me throughout the day and out of the office. Verichat is more of a real time interface that does not depend on needing to enter in an email address each time my administrative assistant wants to send me a message...
    What finally brought me to the Treo (previously was using a Nextel Blackberry...pager (as the blackberry was not loud enough nor did it have the capability to nag with a repeat beep if I missed a call or page) and a Sony Clie UX50 (still the best dedicated PDA IMHO) ), was the availability of "push email". Versamail was not soon enough nor flexible e nough...I use Chatter which pushes email to me directly without the need and interval of VersaMail or other clients which require periodic logging on. Chatter is a wonderful program with a very responsive and responsible developer.
    I have found HandDbase to be invaluable as a database of patient interactions...I have made my own cpt/icd dropdown lists and have created one database that allows me to record patient phone calls...clinical consultations in the hospital/ER and tasks that need to be followed...very flexible database and really allows you to customize to what Y OU as the caregiver feels they need.
    I utilize MDCoder to track and bill my surgeries...a very well written piece of software that automatically chooses the correct icd9 codes for a cpt code chosen...would like it to have a few more data fields but all in all is the best of what I have seen out there for charge capture.
    I use Docs To Go...to keep patient handouts/post-op protocols...which allow me to easily email to the patient or print out via IR or wi-fi network and hand to them directly...patients love feeling that their doctor has so much info at hand :-)! My assistant keeps my non-patient schedule in ACT! and I purchased companion link which allows me to sync meetings etc to my T reo but I can choose which categories to NOT SYNC so alot of my personal data does not make it to the ACT database and it all can be transferred to my home computer.
    Recently purchased Bluetooth dongle for my work computer so my PA can easily send to me any new consultations to either the Treo or my computer (from our HandDbase database) so that I can review them after a night on call.
    TreoAlert has allowed me to get rid of my pager as it allows the treo to continually to annoy after a missed sms message/email or phone call until you recognize it and of course the Treo does a much better job of tracking info/msgs than most pagers. I recently added voicedialing so I can dial on the road via my bluetooth head set..Sony HBH660. TreoTechnician with Pocket Tunes has allowed me to add some levity to my day as my phone ringer is now an MP3 as is my pager...at least now when it goes off while seeing a patient (oops forgot to put on vibrate) the dulcet tones of John Coltrane or Miles Davis come through vs some evil Midi or built in ringtone. Also use PocketTunes for streaming Audio via Shoutcast...like having satellite radio on the cheap :-)!!!!
    Wish list...a 1.strong interface for an EMR...I am purchasing EClinicalworks EMR (actually will lease to make sure I like it)...have also purchased 2 Motion Computing tablets to work with the EMR looking forward to having the Treo work with them. Would love to have an EMR that had a small program for the Treo for charge capture that could sync via bluetooth to the main database.

2.Voice recognition software that works...

3.A simple not FEE BASED prescription program integratedwith one of the prescribing databases...that would work via a fax server to the pharmacy...
    All in all I love the unit and truly believe it has helped me to be a better doctor....
    PS: The bolds do not imply endorsement but as I rambled aimlessly wanted to make it easy for folks to find key software/hardware that I utilize..Thanks!
    Jeff
    One of the first times that the camera was useful to me was during the use of a prototype during surgery. The OB suggested that some modifications would be helpful, so on the spot he reshaped the device (it is easily cut by a Mayo scissors). I was able to snap a few pictures (with permission) before the device was sewn in, and product development got a chance to see what he had done, and was able to make permanent adjustments to the device before it went to market. The lighting in the OR was adjustable, so the fact that it didnt have a flash didnt matter, however, it is my opinion that we still need a flash.

I just upgraded from a Samsung i500.

I use Epocrates from time-to-time.

This is my first phone with a camera. The camera came in handy the other day. There was a finding on the g/u exam in a place where the sun don't shine and that the pt. could not see. I snapped a picture and showed it to the patient, who was happy to see what I was talking about. (I immediatley deleted the pic, of course, afterward.)

The instability of the phone is an issue. I wonder how many calls I am missing when the thing is resetting itself, which happens about 6-10x/day (no kidding), depending on its use.
    Jeff
  18.    #38  
    Other options is to use PCS Business Connection (if using MS Exchange)....I use ACT and do a BT HotSync...can you view your Yahoo calendar using the browser?
  19.    #39  

I could not disagree with you more. As a practicing orthopaedic surgeon in practice with another physician and 2 PA's ALL USING A 650 I humbly submit you are very wrong. I too would be concerned if your cardiologist was solely dependent on a device for their practice of medicine. If that is the case I am sure I could provide you with sound referral in your area. As an ADJUNCT to clinical practice of medicine the unit is EXTREMELY helpful. I would like to not have the reset issues but in the 1440 minutes per day that I have to work/live and the approximately 600 of them that is involved in my practice of medicine the few 30 second reboots IMHO is a small price to pay for the ability to check for a med interaction from a list of 10 meds that NOBODY could keep in their head all of the potential negative outcomes, the ability to view an xray from 20miles away and begin a treatment protocol far sooner than it would take for me to drive to the hospital to have to locate and view said xray, to communicate with my office instantaneously to respond to patient needs, to keep a record of calls when on-call that can be referred to a year later if need be and "almost as importnatly" to plug in to powered speakers and play Miles Davis while I put in a knee or hip. If 2 years ago someone told me I could do all that but the "price" would be a few resets per day...no doubt I would have signed up right away. Perhaps I am not as type A as some of my other healthcare brethren/sistren but it certainly works for me in those noted above and about 10 other important ways that I use daily. Just the ability to carry around my latest schedule info because I can hit my sever using MobileTS is worthe price of the unit as today I realized I had time at 2pm to take my son to his swim class. Noted that when I awakened and checked the schedule while drinking my morning c up of coffee. Not ready...I don't think so!
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by neilweinrib
    Hi:

Physician User:

How do you use your Treo as a pager ? If I do not have answering service, how somebody can send SMS message ?

What is PXA clocker and Lightwave ?
    Neil. I use TreoAlert....allows the thing to annoy you until you pick it up and acknowledge the missed sms or voice call. Someone can send an sms message to your phone via email yournumber@yourcellservice.com or some such variant...for instant sprint would be yournumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com . It will show up as an sms...the TreoAlert or several other programs will allow the treo to continually ring/buzz/play music until you acknowledge and turn it off.