112 75.68%
  • Occasionally Helpful

33 22.30%
  • Doesn't do much but a cool toy

2 1.35%
  • Useless...old pen and paper wins!

1 0.68%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
    New Treo 650 user here. I'm a neurologist in private practice and have been a Palm user since 1999, six months into practice. I rarely leave home without a Palm Pilot (still use the name even though it's long gone...). I keep my schedule, via the Datebook, on the Palm. I also keep my patient data dating back to 1999 on the Palm, via my own customized FileMaker Pro database synced to JFile. Whenever I'm called in the middle of the night about a patient I haven't seen in five years, I've got the information right there.

Fourteen months ago, I was the standard three-device physician--Palm, cell phone, pager. I discovered Perfectserve 14 months ago. I have them send my pages as text messages. As a result, I've been without a pager for 14 months. I was down to two devices and was happy. But I wanted more.....I found myself an ideal candidate for convergence.

I would have purchased a Treo 600 except that it lacked Bluetooth. This is a crucial detail because I have a Bluetooth handsfree kit built into my car. When Verizon finally released the Treo 650....I immediately bought. I now have one device for paging, phone, and PDA. The PDA portion is noticeable slower than my Tungsten C, but the convenience is PRICELESS.

The only problem I have is that described by others in this thread with ePocrates--it reliably causes a soft reset EVERY time I use it. It's too bad, because I'm one month into my latest subscription with them and I don't want to find I've wasted my money this time around. I plan to uninstall, then reinstall ePocrates to see whether it's just corrupted database files...
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Couple of points on various topics on this thread:

1. Check out CallDirector, a program that automatically forwards your cell phone to a land line when you put it in the cradle. Invaluable and one of the main reasons to have the Treo.

2. With Verizon, SMS is confirmed if you do it from their Web Site. If no confirmation, use another method for contact if need be.

3. Our hospital is having Verizon do some sort of 'can you hear me now' survey and plans to install wireless repeaters to ensure adequate signal (we have come far from the days of 'No Cell Phones' in the hospital!)

4. We set up a specal web page with MySQL, PHP and SendMail on a Mac OS X server in our office. It dynamically puts the name of the person on call and has a fill-in-the-blank section for hospital staff to text message us. The Unit Secretaries love it!

5. We use a voice mail program for patient calls. The VM system calls my Treo and plays back the message. We no longer have an answering system.
    Somehow, I don't think the pause is cuased by processor speed. I've used the same skyscape apps on a a sony TG50 which has at PXA250,running at 200 MHz.

I agree that the pause makes quick lookup of info in skyscape apps virtually impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Physician User
    Processor speed. The Tungsten C is fast and is probably running about 400Mhz or more. The Treo 650 runs at about 312Mhz even though they are the same processors! This pause defeated the purpose of using a PDA for quick information look ups.

Anyhow, do a search for "PXA Clocker" or "lightspeed" and "Treo 650." PXA Clocker is free and I used it to clock up to 507Mhz my Treo 650. Now I'm actually running perhaps faster than the Tungsten C. Research the risks and benefits though. In my case, its been flawless and I anticipate using it through my Treo 650's planned life.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomchan79
    Somehow, I don't think the pause is cuased by processor speed. I've used the same skyscape apps on a a sony TG50 which has at.....
    Hmm.. I am using a 2003 skyscape app on the 650 and have not noticed any pause problems.
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Hmmm, I'm using a cingular treo 650. The problem exists even if I do a reset and erase the phone and just install a skyscape app By chance, are you using a phone with an updated rom, or perhaps a sprint treo?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru
    Hmm.. I am using a 2003 skyscape app on the 650 and have not noticed any pause problems.
    Hi, NeuronBob,

I have no problem using ePocrates on my Treo 650 (Cingular). I've never had ePocrates use cause any kind of glitch. In fact, I've got to say, I'm amazed at how few (nearly zero) resets I get at all ever, especially considering how much complaining there is at TreoCentral about spontaneous resets.

Like you, I've replaced my cellphone, text-messaging beeper, and Palm Tungsten T3 with the Treo and really couldn't be much happier. And now I'm dabbling in silly things like playing mp3's on it, so that when I go running, I can leave my mp3 player at home, too. Like you, I'm thrilled that it is so functional and effectively replaces so many essential gadgets.

Back to your ePocrates problem, I wonder if it's an issue with ePocrates Pro? I only use ePocrates Rx, the free program. I have other free or nearly free programs for everything else (InfoRetriever, MedCalc, MedMath, 5 minute clin consult, Sanford ABX guide, OB Wheel, US Prev Services Task Force recommendations, Shots 2005, etc.)

-- Josh in Syracuse, Family Doc
    Thanks for your reply, Josh. I'll know whether the issue is ePoc Pro after I wipe it and start all over again. I'm on call this weekend and simply haven't had the time or inclination to do this yet. I'm sure you know the story...

I already know that my 650 is a keeper despite this single issue. I don't understand why people say the PDA is dying when it is getting better with the release of devices like the 650....
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    I have a question regarding many of the Skyscape programs, in particular the "5 minute" programs.

Has anyone else noticed the option under menus to "Mail Topic"? Its under the area where you can set multiple "Tags". This would be awesome so I could print out a few of these full 5 minute entries rather than copying and pasting with Documents to go.

Any ideas if this option has or can work? It sure doesn't for me.

Thanks,
    PU
    Just discovered this thread and its been great. I am new to the 650(Verizon), and have a question about using it as a pager. One post said to get the modem number and pin number from Verizon and the answering service will input the information and it then sends a message just as they would to a alpha pager. Does that mean that my old pager number would not be needed? Also would it still be possible to have my office (or wife) page me directly over a phone without going through the answering service.
    Thanks
    Jeff (Gastroenterology)
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hey everyone, I'm new here as well. I'm a Physician Assistant and I just recently purchased my Treo 650 to replace my beloved Handera 330 (Gawd I miss her!) which was stolen, along with my briefcase, late last year. If I may lament here for a moment - I still believe to this day that the Handera 330 was one of the finest yet most underrated Palm OS PDA's in the market. Minus a color screen, it had features that would make some of PalmOne's latest offerings hang their head in shame - A Hi-res screen which you can landscape on the fly, two slots for flash memory (CF & SD), voice recorder, virtual graffiti, etc...

Okay, back to topic. Right now, I couldn't be happier with my Treo 650. I contemplated on getting the 600 a few months back but the Verizon rep told me to "wait." I'm glad I did. The only drawback is the ridiculously expensive data package that I subscribed to - $45 a month for unlimited internet. Other than that, my old medical calculators, databases, readers (e.g. iSilo), and my SkyScape software all work fine. I installed ePocrates (free version) two days ago and it's worked without a hitch.

I just wish the Treo had more memory, though it's a great step up from the 8 mb of volatile RAM I used to deal with. I bought a 1 gb SD card today and hoped to transfer some databases onto it, but does anyone know if MSMount (or anything similar) works for the Treo 650? I never needed it for the HE 330, but I used to recommend it to friends who had Clie's and needed to run some progs off the memory stick. Thanks in advance...
    reymax74,
    You need to get either Zlauncher or PowerRun. They will allow you to transfer most (not all!) apps to the SD card. Some apps like ePocrates will only run from RAM.
    Zane
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    reymax74,
    You need to get either Zlauncher or PowerRun. They will allow you to transfer most (not all!) apps to the SD card.
    Zane
    Thanks, I'll try those out. I remember some colleagues using PowerRun on their Clie's. I just hope it's a lot more stable now than it was a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    Some apps like ePocrates will only run from RAM.
    Is it still that finicky? You would think that after 5+ years, ePocrates programmers would find a way for users to place it's bloated databases onto a mem card.
    Do a search on ePocrates. Several TC members have reported problems with it. I switched to Tarascon Pharmacopoeia, which runs from the SD card. Epocrates took up too much precious RAM.
    Zane
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Epocrates only works in RAM. I have been sending emails to their support service for the past 2-3 years asking for them to make their program external card friendly (like Tarascon Pharmacopoeia and Lexi-Drugs) and all they said was there are working on it...for the past 2-3 years.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
  15.    #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by krismikajona
    Just discovered this thread and its been great. I am new to the 650(Verizon), and have a question about using it as a pager. One post said to get the modem number and pin number from Verizon and the answering service will input the information and it then sends a message just as they would to a alpha pager. Does that mean that my old pager number would not be needed? Also would it still be possible to have my office (or wife) page me directly over a phone without going through the answering service.
    Thanks
    Jeff (Gastroenterology)
    Jeff. Alot depends on your answering service...my service uses the modem numbers and inputs the alpha text into the treo...my wife's service just emails her to her treo. The bottom line I have been using it as a pager without issue (orthopaedics). Albeit I do have to call and tell my svc when I am in the or in the middle of the night so as there is no signal in the operating room. Other than that...it has worked quite well..actually better as I have a record of the msg and if they input a phone number I can simply click to call the # back.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGo
    Epocrates only works in RAM
    if you search for it, you can find an old program by Toysoft called AvantageRx...it moves lots of the original formulary portion of ePoc to the SD card. Granted, it still leaves a lot of junk behind, but its not bad for 10 dollars
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Have you tried it in your Treo 650 and does it work?
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    I tried the beta version of epocrates for the SD card. It just caused a bunch of resets so I deleted it. I am weary of epocrates delays for current technology. I switched to tarascon and am very happy. Their tech support was excellent
  19.    #239  
    Anybody else using the Treo for billing purposes? If so what are you using?
    I have been using my own Handbase applet for about 6 years. I am a neurologist and I have devised a very simple program. I have a hospital census database and also a billing database I have named "activity". I will click on a name in the census database and one of the available buttons is for charges. There is a streamlined list of codes that I use and the entry is saved in the "activity" database. Previously when I had a palm, I would e-mail the database from my desktop once weekly to my biller after synching. Now, I e-mail the database directly using Snapper. It has worked perfectly for me. My experience with commercial programs is that they are generally bloated as each of us commonly uses only a small number of E&M or procedure codes. I also don't use specific ICD9 codes in the database. My biller generally gets these off the consult sheets that are handed to her. The program also serves as a nice safeguard as she knows to specifically inquire if she finds a consulatation charge but no consult sheet (usually found under my car seat).
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast