• Occasionally Helpful

33 22.30%
  • Doesn't do much but a cool toy

2 1.35%
  • Useless...old pen and paper wins!

1 0.68%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbeanie
    Ditto, I have this problem each and every time I use Epocrates Pro. For the amount of money they charge, this should be fixed ASAP or we should complain heavily.
    Epocrates is releasing a fix for the reset bug on thursday, 4-21 (pushed back from 4-14 due to some bugs). Autoupdate after that and the bug will be fixed hopefully. I'll keep you all updated if this changes.
  2.    #182  
    Quote Originally Posted by sh9854
    Epocrates is releasing a fix for the reset bug on thursday, 4-21 (pushed back from 4-14 due to some bugs). Autoupdate after that and the bug will be fixed hopefully. I'll keep you all updated if this changes.
    Great! Hopefully this solves a bunch of reset issues. I know...hope springs eternal..
    Thanks for the info
    Good and bad. I work a 12 hour shift tomorrow and will be resetting my Treo all day. I wish the fix was out now. Wahaaah!
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbeanie
    Good and bad. I work a 12 hour shift tomorrow and will be resetting my Treo all day. I wish the fix was out now. Wahaaah!

If your Treo is reseting brcause of Epocrates you'll be happy, otherwise, if the reseting is happening because of a defective device, you won't. It took me to my 3rd devide to get one that doesn't reset EVER. Epocrates & any other application seems to work w/o difficulties.

Don't be shy, go to your provider & tell them, they see many people like you (and my previous me!)

Simon
    I almost returned my Treo over the 12 hour battery limit. It turned out that my Bluetooth had turned itself back on. Once the BT was turned off I started getting 48-72 hours use out of my battery - Forgot BT and got a wired headset.
    I had an interesting exchange with Pam at LauncherX.com. She downloaded and installed the free ePocrates and gives instructions on how to move it to the card. Apparently you need to keep the .prc firle (.32MB) in the main memory. I'll try it this ASAP and let you know.

I'm including her e-mail for y'all pleasure:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi WittiDoc,

I was able to run ePocrates on the card, including databases, except that it didn't work when I moved ePocrates.PRC (the main app file) to the card. I moved it back to RAM. It's only about .32 MB, so moving your other files might help free up quite a bit of memory on your 650, especially if you add more databases later if the ones they charge for will work the same way.

If you want to try it, tap-hold Launcher X's Card gadget and check-mark all the boxes next to the epocrates files except for the file called "ePocrates." (I had seven files, and all the filenames started with "ep" or "eP.") Then move them to your /Palm/Launcher/ directory on your card.

Creating a shortcut didn't seem to make a difference. Dragging the Epocrates icon to Launcher X's card tool only moved the small Epocrates startup file to the card. No harm done, but you can easily check-mark it when you're check-marking the other files and move them all at once.

Epocrates behaves very differently from any other third-party app I've ever encountered regarding storage on the card. Please note, again, that we're not experts on Epocrates, and use Launcher X to move the files at your own risk. It seemed safe enough, to me, though.

I was excited about my "discovery," and wrote to ePocrates support, as copied below. If my test was correct, they probably already know that the databases and other files can be stored on the card, but in my admittedly quick look at their Web site, it didn't reflect this.

I'll let you know if I hear from them, and please let me know what you find out if you decide to experiment.

Regards,
    Pam

Please include this correspondence in any replies.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Online FAQs: http://www.launcherx.com/support
    Launcher X discussion board: http://www.launcherxplanet.com
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    WittiDoc, Will this trick allow you to autoupdate your epocrates databases during a hotsync?
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    You should be able to "autoupdate" wirelessly using the phone only.

I update while driving down the road with no computer involved.
    DocNusum

Handspring 90-> Handspring Prism-> Handspring 300 ->P1 650

Airborne Army Medic-8 years--> Chicago Paramedic -2 years--> ER Nurse-2 years--> CCRN-2 years--> Currently FNP, PA-C.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    But then, if you put your databases in the expansion card, will those databases be updated as well? How long does it take you to update wirelessly (btw, do you have the free version or the essentials version?)
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Havn't had time to download, install and play with LauncherX myself, yet. I also don't know how it would work with the "essentials" addtional ePocrates files. ? whether they all need to be installed into conventional memory first and then moved?

LauncherX has a free trial period, so I'll try sometime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by weitzman@intern
    If your Treo is reseting brcause of Epocrates you'll be happy, otherwise, if the reseting is happening because of a defective device, you won't. It took me to my 3rd devide to get one that doesn't reset EVER. Epocrates & any other application seems to work w/o difficulties.

Don't be shy, go to your provider & tell them, they see many people like you (and my previous me!)

Simon
    It is definitely epocrates. My husband has the exact same issue. The resets only happen when epocrates closes on the Treo. The resets don't ever happen if I am not using epocrates. Same for my husband. The epocrates resets only began after we did the ROM update to 1.08.

I hope they really get this straight real soon! I cringe every time I need to use epocrates now.
    My wife is a Psychiatrist who up until 1 year ago would never touch a pda. Instead she had 3 separate appointment books. I gave her my old samsung i330 last May then when the 650 came out gave her my old 600. She got hooked she doesn't know how she lived without it before. I think what scared her about the pda was the graffiti. WIth the 600 and 650's keyboard there is really little need for a stylus. She hinted around before her birthday in February that she really would like a 650. I gave her a 650 for her birthday.

Her main apps she uses in her profession are; datebk5 for appts etc. takephone, mobiledb, soapmh, project@hand, dsm IV, psych dx and rx, epocrates, and expense plus and pocket quicken.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDr
    hirschr,

I use my Treo as a pager. Don't need to have internet access to do this. Call your carrier and ask them for the modem number and pin number. I know Sprint and Verizon can give this to you as other MDs I know do the same. Your answering service inputs these numbers in there software and sends a message just as they would to a alpha pager. Comes to you as SMS message. the best part is you can directly dial the return phone number from the message!!

Hope this helps
    Hey there! I'm a graduating medical student going into general surgery in July...

I was wondering if anybody else had any success with adding a paging function to their cell phone. This could potentially be interesting for my personal calls (As a resident, I'm obliged to use the hospital-rented pager). I would rather have people "page" me while I'm in the hospital. Of course, caller ID does the trick in most cases, but much if not all calls from inside the hospital have a blocked ID, so I have no idea who is calling...
    I just called Rogers Canada. They don't seem to offer any numeric SMS page-like service. They don't even offer transferring pages via SMS to my Treo.

Is there any paging service in Canada that supports forwarding pages via SMS? Bell? Telus?

Thanks in advance!
    I updated my Sprint Treo 650 with the new ROM update, then Epocrates didn't work - like we have all seen - shuts down. Today, I updated to their "new" Epocrates Pro, and guess what, now I have absolutely NO functioning epocrates. I called Epocrates folks and all they could say was oh so said - you know, I think when my renewal comes up, I will be going with Tarascon instead - heck, I'll have to use the Tarascon book anyway that I receive "FREE" from the drug reps.
    Quote Originally Posted by WittiDoc
    I had an interesting exchange with Pam at LauncherX.com. She downloaded and installed the free ePocrates and gives instructions on how to move it to the card. Apparently you need to keep the .prc firle (.32MB) in the main memory. I'll try it this ASAP and let you know.

I'm including her e-mail for y'all pleasure:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi WittiDoc,

I was able to run ePocrates on the card, including databases, except that it didn't work when I moved ePocrates.PRC (the main app file) to the card. I moved it back to RAM. It's only about .32 MB, so moving your other files might help free up quite a bit of memory on your 650, especially if you add more databases later if the ones they charge for will work the same way.

If you want to try it, tap-hold Launcher X's Card gadget and check-mark all the boxes next to the epocrates files except for the file called "ePocrates." (I had seven files, and all the filenames started with "ep" or "eP.") Then move them to your /Palm/Launcher/ directory on your card.

Creating a shortcut didn't seem to make a difference. Dragging the Epocrates icon to Launcher X's card tool only moved the small Epocrates startup file to the card. No harm done, but you can easily check-mark it when you're check-marking the other files and move them all at once.

Epocrates behaves very differently from any other third-party app I've ever encountered regarding storage on the card. Please note, again, that we're not experts on Epocrates, and use Launcher X to move the files at your own risk. It seemed safe enough, to me, though.

I was excited about my "discovery," and wrote to ePocrates support, as copied below. If my test was correct, they probably already know that the databases and other files can be stored on the card, but in my admittedly quick look at their Web site, it didn't reflect this.

I'll let you know if I hear from them, and please let me know what you find out if you decide to experiment.

Regards,
    Pam

Please include this correspondence in any replies.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Online FAQs: http://www.launcherx.com/support
    Launcher X discussion board: http://www.launcherxplanet.com
    Tried it. Didn't work for me.

It does move the checked components, but not the epocrates Rx database, which is the biggie. So, it only saves me ~100K RAM. I have the free edition and I delete the non-working tables, dx, ID, after I sync.

The large epocrates Rx database does not show up for me with file browsers.
  17.    #197  
    I guess there are a couple options...friends could simply send you an sms message or some companies have a paging option with your voicemail. GOOD LUCK...I remember that gen surg internship all too well. You will want a Treo to help break up the pain...play a game or 2...check your email...look at pictures of the friends you never see :-)...ahh ya got to love it :-)!
    This is a great thread. I am in my final year of ophthalmology residency and have been using Palms since my second year of medical school (Palm III). Before that I had two Sharp wizards. I was the only one in my second-year medical school class to have one, and I was actually acused of "playing games" during a lecture by one of my professors. He was quite embarassed when I showed him that I was taking notes, not playing games. I immediately understood the potential usefulness that these devices could have in medicine, and even created my own elective during which I wrote some Palm software. During my third year rotations, I used Patient Keeper to do all my H&Ps and keep track of patient information. In reality I think I spent more time searching the hospital for IR-equiped printers than I actually saved by not having to hand-write the notes, but it was a lot more fun. I used a handspring visor for a couple of years, then a clie-t615, tungsten T3, and now a Treo 650. This is the best one by far.

As far as drug references go, I have found mobile MDX to be the best one (and free via my institution's library). I feel that its volume of information is much better than epocrates, and it covers the ophthalmic drugs better than any other reference. I also use a Skyscape version of the "Wills Eye Manual" reference several times daily. I actually like the interface and have had no problems with it. I have several ophthalmic textbooks on my SD card. I also have Harrisons internal medicine (yes, ophthalmologists actually use this information). My brain fills up rather quickly, so I use the calendar extensively and set alarms for everything. My day is a disaster if I leave my palm at home because I have no clue what is happening that day or what I'm supposed to be doing.

From a practical standpoint, I love the Treo because it allows me to email in between OR cases, or during otherwise unproductive time. I have read this thread in its entirety paying close attention to the messages about using the Treo as a pager, which intrigues me. My practice situation next year will require me to be easily reachable by pager from several hospitals and support staff (not a centralized answering service), so the idea of sending SMS messages will not likely be successful unless I can find a pager service that will allow SMS forwarding from a dedicated pager number.

As a resident I have worked with attendings who use a cell phone instead of a pager, and I found it extremely annoying because of the delayed response time. Rightly or wrongly, the culture of "paging" assumes rapid response, and when I leave a voicemail on a cell phone I never know how long to sit and wait for a return call. Also, I wonder if the nurses in the OR would be able to view the incoming page on my Treo when I am in the middle of surgery...
    I'll have to investigate the pager situation further.
    I'm a nephrologist, and I've had a Sprint Treo 650 for 4 months. Previously, I had a Treo 600, and I've been very happy with the 650. It's my only phone, and it's invaluable in my practice.

A list of programs on my 650 (with an emphasis on those related to medicine) can be found here.

--
    kidneynotes.blogspot.com
    I am a neurologist and have almost a pure consulting practive. I have been using my own Handbase billing template for almost 6 years. I have this trimmed down to 2 databses.
    1. A Census database with Name, Hospital, Rm number, diagnosis, referring physician and other notes.
    2. A linked activity dbase where I list charges. I just tap on a button in the census database and it takes me to the billing database.
    Previously I would email the activity (billing) database from my desktop once weekly after a HotSync. I now Email directly from my 600 at my convenicence.
    I use my SMS as a pager and it has been working flawlessly via text message from my answering service. I also use Butler which provides a convenient nag tone if I don't pick up the page immediately. When a consult comes in on my SMS I enter the patient name, rm number, etc. in my Census database. I have found the Handbase to be lean and quick. It takes me about 1 minute to enter a new consult and about 15 seconds to add subsequent charges per patient-day. I have no other clincal info in my database except for diagnosis. I have found that entering actual clincial data is too time intensive for a private practioner.
    Other programs.
    Epocrates Rx Pro - I guess I've just gotten used to the bloat and its probably not much of an issue since I still have about 8MB of memory left. I don't like the fact that every time I sync I get the crippled Lab and Dx databases installed and manually uninstall them. I also run tables and MedMath off my card via ZLauncher - no problem
    ISilo I have a clincal neurology text
    Skyscape Neuro Therapeutics and MGH Neuro Manual Pharma gifts.
    PubMed on Tap used to be neat to query MedLine from my Treo. Now consistently causes a soft reset.
    Got my Treo in December. Now when I leave my house every AM, I only have to search for my Treo rather than Clie, cell and pager.