Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, I've finally decided on chattermail..it appears to be the best choice.
    I have installed it and was able to kind of get it to work...but I have yet to get it all set up and working like I think it should/could?

If anyone can help with some of these questions, I would be eternally grateful. Here goes...

I use fastmail as my imap server (the free version..I think I will need to upgrade..yes?). I have fastmail retrieve mail from 2 pop accounts ...

My current folder setup (folder tree) on my computer imap client mirrors my fastmail folder setup. 14 folders (inbox, sent, trash, business + sub folders, personal + subfolders..etc.) When I open my imap client it syncs with all the fastmail folders. In chatter all I see is my inbox and 3 other local folders.
    How do I see the other folders that are setup on the server and their contents in my chattermail window?

Is this setup wise? I am new to the whole Imap thing. I used to be pop..load all mail onto the laptop.

Can chatter be setup to pull from the inbox automatically (giving me my new mail) while leaving these other folders on a manual type setup or less frequent sync up..as to not tie up my signal for too long/too often?

Is there anything important to think about/keep in mind if I set things up this way?

Also how do I set chatter to be able to pick which personality (me@zxy.com, me2@soanso.com, etc.) to send mail FROM?

These are my biggest hurdles so far...Any how to help or advice would be so very much appreciated. I am so new to this stuff that it's making my head hurt from the massive learning curve that my brain is on.
    Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it guys...
    u can go to live chat @ "treochat.net".. paulC there helped me alot... he is a chatter expert! he is usually on in evening.. usa
    pizza -

Chatter doesn't defaultly give you all of your server folders because, well, it's a phone with limited memory, battery life, etc. So what you do is use the "New Mailbox" menu command to create Mailboxes in Chatter that mirror the server folders that you want to access from your phone. The number of Mailboxes you can create this way is very large... Each Mailbox has its own settings (online vs offline, retrieval schedules, notification methods, etc) so you have a great deal of flexibility there. So yes, your Inbox can be "online", and other Mailboxes can be scheduled or manually checked.

For sending personalities, Chatter has what are called "SMTP Profiles", each of which has a complete series of settings (server, account, return address, reply to, signature, etc). When you create a message, you can send from any defined Profile. You can create Profiles for any Mailbox, or you can set up a "dummy" Mailbox that's just a Profile with the "New SMTP Profile Only" menu command.

The Chatter manual describes all this, by the way. I suggest you download it for reference.

Hope this helps.

Marc
  4.    #4  
    Ok..Thanks! I got my folder tree organized to reflect the servers setup..cool. And I set up each mailbox except for the inbox to be offline and sync every 60 minutes.

Do I have to set up an smtp profile for each mailbox? Or if I reply or forward from mail in a folder without a set smtp profile, does chatter default to an existing profile?

Is it possible for my inbox to have 3 different profiles?

Also, what version of fastmail would you recommend to fully utilize chattermail? I believe the $39.95 per year version is the only one that allows fastmail to query any pop accounts each time a query is made to fastmail. I ultimately would like to get my new mail as it comes..give or take 5-10 minutes. Is there another way to do this with the less expensive accounts?

Thank you.....I'm getting there!!!! Yeah!!! I'm so excited.
    PRPRPR
    pizza - No, you don't need a profile for each Mailbox. When you create a message, it provides you with all the profiles as options, and tries to default intelligently. If you want three profiles, just create the other two with "New SMTP Profile Only".

I don't use other accounts with fastmail, so I'm not sure what to recommend as far as service level. You might ask separately (i.e. in another thread).

Marc
  6.    #6  
    Marc,
    Do you use fastmail smtp server for all you outgoing connections or do you use another. (Sprint etc.?) Just curious on fastmails reliability.

Also, how often does chattermail check the server for and how long does that connection usually take (one online mailbox..not a ton of mail.)?
    What happens when I am on a phone call?
    This will disrupt incoming calls on a cdma phone right?
    Yes, I use fastmail for all outgoing connections. If you're using fastmail, Chatter is getting real pushed email; there are no checks.

If you're on a call, Chatter won't be active until after the call ends. And if data is actively being transmitted/received, you won't be able to get calls. This is true with CDMA AND GSM, by the way; the difference is that GSM phones drop their data connections more quickly, and therefore tie up the phone a lot less for any given transfer of data.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzarascal
    My current folder setup (folder tree) on my computer imap client mirrors my fastmail folder setup. 14 folders (inbox, sent, trash, business + sub folders, personal + subfolders..etc.) When I open my imap client it syncs with all the fastmail folders. In chatter all I see is my inbox and 3 other local folders.
    I'm using .Mac email with is IMAP. Someone told me to send it through fastmail.fm, which I'm currently doing. Do I have to mirror the folders I have on my .Mac IMAP account on fastmail?
    I know, I have to read the manual on your website, but I'm also very new to IMAP email.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Hmm, I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I assume that your forwarding your inbox from .Mac to fastmail in order to get "push"; is that right? In that case, you'll only have "Inbox" in fastmail, and that's all you can mirror there.

You can, of course, go direct to your .Mac mail and mirror any or all of your folders there, but you'd lose out on the "push" aspect (you could use the SMS pseudo-push, if it were available).

Is this helpful or am I confusing you further?

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Hmm, I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I assume that your forwarding your inbox from .Mac to fastmail in order to get "push"; is that right? In that case, you'll only have "Inbox" in fastmail, and that's all you can mirror there.

You can, of course, go direct to your .Mac mail and mirror any or all of your folders there, but you'd lose out on the "push" aspect (you could use the SMS pseudo-push, if it were available).

Is this helpful or am I confusing you further?

Marc
    Wow, fast response. Nope, I understand you quite clearly. Your "push" email is my favorite reason to go Chatter. Is there no way I can have/create folders in Chatter then? SMS notifications would blow through my quote too fast, so that's not viable.

Thanks again!
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    MacUser - You can create Mailboxes in Chatter that correspond to folders on your server; there's no facility for creating local folders (i.e. Treo-only), if that's what you're asking.

However, you can create additional folders at fastmail (use their webmail interface) and THEN use them in Chatter. You can then file messages away with Chatter's "Move to folder..." command.

Marc
    However, you can create additional folders at fastmail (use their webmail interface) and THEN use them in Chatter. You can then file messages away with Chatter's "Move to folder..." command.

Marc
    That's what I was looking for

You do have excellent customer service. I think I'm going to have to buy my full version now
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    MacUser - You can create Mailboxes in Chatter that correspond to folders on your server; there's no facility for creating local folders (i.e. Treo-only), if that's what you're asking.

Marc
    Everytime I try to create the Mailbox in Chatter for the Folder I created in Fastmail, I get this error:
    The folder "KEEP" does not appear to exist on the server. Please check that you are using the complete folder name.

I tried creating that folder in the subdirectory of INBOX and outside of that directory, with no luck. Any ideas?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    You shouldn't have to enter the folder name manually; you should be able to choose it from the Folder Browser (tap the arrow next to "Complete Server Folder Name" to bring it up). My guess is that the folder's name is actually Inbox.Keep or something like that. Note also that folder names are case-sensitive (which is another reason why picking from the Browser is the best way to go.)

Marc

p.s. If you've recently added folders at the server, use the "Reload Folder List" button in "Edit Mailbox" to get the changes loaded into Chatter.
    Marc,

I have the "Reload Folder List" option for my Fasmail accnt but not for m Yahoo accnt. What have I done wrong?

You shouldn't have to enter the folder name manually; you should be able to choose it from the Folder Browser (tap the arrow next to "Complete Server Folder Name" to bring it up). My guess is that the folder's name is actually Inbox.Keep or something like that. Note also that folder names are case-sensitive (which is another reason why picking from the Browser is the best way to go.)

Marc

p.s. If you've recently added folders at the server, use the "Reload Folder List" button in "Edit Mailbox" to get the changes loaded into Chatter.
    POP3 doesn't support multiple folders in an account.

Marc
  17.    #17  
    Marc,
    Thank you for all your help..I believe I got everything working so far with chatter and fastmail.
    I have two smtp profiles setup. One which is a dummy one which shows up in the folder list as smtp profile.

FYI, after reading through fastmails FAQ's, I believe that in order to have my pop accounts mail retrieved through fastmail each time chatter syncs with fastmail, I have to upgrade to the deluxe account which is 39.99 a year (not too bad.) Otherwise, I can set fastmail to retrieve only every hour not as email arrives at the pop.

I suppose I could forward mail from these accounts, but if I understand correctly, it may not always be as easy to see who originally sent the email. All mail would have from me@mypopacct.com...I think.

Anyways, thanks for all your help. In retrospect all my questions seemed really basic..thanks for your patience

Pizza
    No problem; I enjoy dealing with these things (helps me understand what needs to be updated/simplified)

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzarascal
    FYI, after reading through fastmails FAQ's, I believe that in order to have my pop accounts mail retrieved through fastmail each time chatter syncs with fastmail, I have to upgrade to the deluxe account which is 39.99 a year (not too bad.) Otherwise, I can set fastmail to retrieve only every hour not as email arrives at the pop.

I suppose I could forward mail from these accounts, but if I understand correctly, it may not always be as easy to see who originally sent the email. All mail would have from me@mypopacct.com...I think.
    Pizza,

I am using a free FastMail account to pull my Yahoo (POP3) e-mail and push it to my Treo. This works fine except the free account does not give you spam filtering and does not allow you to use the FastMail SMTP server for sending messages. I do not want to change my e-mail address and prefer to have things I send appear to come from Yahoo, so not using the FastMail SMTP is fine for me. I have had no problem seeing who originated a message or replying to them. You would not know I'm using FastMail as a go-between.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Pizza,

I am using a free FastMail account to pull my Yahoo (POP3) e-mail and push it to my Treo. This works fine except the free account does not give you spam filtering and does not allow you to use the FastMail SMTP server for sending messages. I do not want to change my e-mail address and prefer to have things I send appear to come from Yahoo, so not using the FastMail SMTP is fine for me. I have had no problem seeing who originated a message or replying to them. You would not know I'm using FastMail as a go-between.
    MarkY,
    Thanks..
    How do you get around the 2-3hour window having fastmail pull from yahoo? I don't know if there is a workaround, but the free/cheaper accounts only pull/retrieve from pop accounts at intervals...so you could have an email that hits your yahoo account that doesnt show up in fastmail for 2 hours later..not good if your using chatter or whatever to get your emails as they come.

Also, having a different smtp server won't necessarily change the email address that your mail shows on outgoing mail. Chatter or any email client can be set up to have different profiles.
    Hope this helps instead of being something you already know...
    Pizza
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast