1. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    In this day and age of hackers, etc. I prefer to keep my data network connection disconnected unless I am doing something which requires it. Most applications which require a connection will initiate one but few will disconnect when they're shut down. Of course one can always do the Prefs/Network/Disconnect dance and then there's the VersaMail/Menu/Options/Disconnect method but that's about it.

Surely there must be a more elegant way to disconnect. Anyone have any ideas? A hack, perhaps?

Perplexed Pete
    Most of the apps that I use have a disconnect on exit in their prefs. What apps are you using that don't?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    pssh doesn't disconnect when it closes an ssh
    excatly how would a hacker get onto your device? you have a private ip.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  5. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    Most of the apps that I use have a disconnect on exit in their prefs. What apps are you using that don't?
    Uh.. Blazer?

Pete
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Handspring Visor > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Pro > Pre (in November) ... Evolution, or more money than sense?
    Uh.. your right.
    None of that has ever bothered me so I hadn't noticed.
    Okay, besides Blazer?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  7. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    excatly how would a hacker get onto your device?
    I'll bet Parris Hilton would like to know the same thing, you think?

Seriously, hackers and nefarious program authors are just beginning to explore ways to make life interesting for road warriors. Who knows what kind of security breaches will be discovered in the Palm OS and software. I don't necessarily live in fear of an attack but leaving a device connected to a data network when it's not necessary is just asking for trouble.

Pete
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Handspring Visor > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Pro > Pre (in November) ... Evolution, or more money than sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmonkey
    I'll bet Parris Hilton would like to know the same thing, you think?
    they didnt hack her phone, they hacked the t-mo servers.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmonkey
    In this day and age of hackers, etc. I prefer to keep my data network connection disconnected unless I am doing something which requires it. Most applications which require a connection will initiate one but few will disconnect when they're shut down. Of course one can always do the Prefs/Network/Disconnect dance and then there's the VersaMail/Menu/Options/Disconnect method but that's about it.

Surely there must be a more elegant way to disconnect. Anyone have any ideas? A hack, perhaps?

Perplexed Pete

Treo Helper has a DropNet option for disconnecting after a fixed amount of time.