1.    #1  

I've been moaning for a while about the lack of a decent word processor on the Palm platform (no character level formatting, justification, etc.)

I've just come across the program MegaDoc on PalmGear and it appears to do everything I wanted and more.

It has a conduit to convert various file formats (MS Doc, RTF, HTML, et al.), and at first investigation has the necassary formating options.

AND IT'S FREE.

Unfortunately I've been trying it for about two minutes and it completly crashed my VDx (whilst trying to justify some text).

I'm off on holiday now for a week, and won't be able to pick up follow-ups to this post, but I'll let you know any further experiences when I get back.
    Found it this morning and haven't had a chance to download it. Sure sounded good at the time. PLEASE keep us updated on your success....currently I'm playing/adjusting my THINCOM so its going to be a while before I get to the MegaDoc download...
    "Stupid Handspring."
    Does it break the 4k limit? That's what I really need in a DOC editor. I keep hitting that with my stowaway.
    BEN
    If this is the program that I think it is (the same developers as MegaLauncher) then this truly is a great product. ALTHOUGH, it does requires color, doesn't it? Maybe this is the reason for the crash.
    Megadoc does not require color. It runs on my Visor Dx, though I did get *one* crash.

I can't imagine using it instead of TakeNote and Iambic Reader, though. The user interface is horrible, like they ported a Windows app to the palm. There's *no* menus, instead all the commands including infrequently used ones are accessed through large boxy toolbars. Plus the scrollbar doesn't work right: instead of taps above and below the thumb moving you up and down a page, they jump to the tap position, and they have extra icons for page moves.

All in all, an impressive effort but they completely misunderstand the Palm user interface. It felt like I was working on the old Casiopaea.
    Rev. Peter da Silva, ULC<br>
    <a href=http://www.taronga.com/~peter/>Ar rug tú barróg ar do mhactíre inniu?</a>
    It seems to answere all of my questiong execpt that it crashed my visor, sigh.... I did a backup and I'm trying again. The only issue that I can come across is compression, thoes file will end up being huge, execpt for the Palm DOC files which have been reported as being very very slow. not to mention the fact the the program is 258 or so KB, quite a shock to QED and TakeNote users espicaly if we have to keep the old Doc editors around because the palm Doc function of MegaDoc won't work.

I'll post a more indepth report if all goes well
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    MegaDoc is as close to what I've wanted and it's free so how can I complain? For the most part I like it, but I do agree that it uses up way too much of the screen for menus, etc. It will do the job for me for now until something better comes along.
    I am in doubts to weather its free or not for this reason: I have come accross what looks like a nag screen when I tap the menu bar button (lower left silkscreen button.) I have emailed the developer and PalmGearHQ about this and asking for a true freeware version (no nag screens + full functionality). if anyone else comes across this another email to PalmGear and the Developer woudln't hurt the cause.
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    There's references in the documentation to buying it, so I suspect it's going to be shareware or commercial once they feel it's solid.
    <a href=http://www.taronga.com/~peter/>Ar rug tú barróg ar do mhactíre inniu?</a>
    but for now it's clearly marked as freeware, so we are intitled to get a compleat version (for free) as long as it is marked as such.
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist

Just tried to download it and PALMGEAR said it had been pulled by the developer????
    "Stupid Handspring."
    Because its been pulled, can somebody e-mail it to me? benjamin_g84@hotmail.com
    Thanks,
    BEN
    A bigger problem is, the only markup it supports is font and color. No tables, no semantic markup (headers, etc), size, bold, italic, anything.

A text editor plus Iambic Reader is going to do a better job. It makes Windows Notepad seem sophisticated.
    It might have been pulled because it was buggy. Mine was working great, but now I can't even run it...it just keeps crashing.