Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    My 650 is caught in a looping reset for the first time. How do I get out of it without having to "erase all data"?
    Last edited by djraw; 03/19/2005 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Change title to be more noticeable
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    If I recall correctly, you need to do a soft reset; which is achieved by holding 'up' on the 5-way button and press the reset button on the back of the Treo. You need to hold the 'up' key until you see the grey "Palm Powered" logo.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    remember to check with the manufacturer's web site. Here is what I found:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(887)

the suggestion I have is to use the system or "warm" reset.

This has worked for me
    Gene
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Thanks guys!!
    well... did it work???
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    well... did it work???
    Well, by the time I got an answer, I had already bit the bullet and erased everything cause I needed my phone badly. But now I know what to do next time it happens. I think AOL Instant Messenger is the culprit. I would sometimes get resets when too many things were happening at once, but never a looping reset. I had just installed AIM last night, now the looping reset. It's got to be AIM.
    Don't use the AOL palm application. It is not compatible with Palm OS 5. Use one of the following:

Verichat
    Causerie
    Chatopus

These are apps which are designed for Palm 5.0. Additionally, these apps will allow multiple services like Yahoo IM, IRC, AOL, Jabber.

Good luck
    Gene
    Agree with Get-treo - some folks find that the AOL client works okay (especially the free one you can download from some UK site, if that's still out there); but many folks find that it's very flaky and causes problems like those you ran into...
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I see. I think that AIM for Palm was the main reason my old T600 constantly caught in a looping reset. I'd rather use Yahoo anyway. I'll go ahead and buy VeriChat I guess, but I, (like most people) liked the idea of "free". I'd rather use YIM soley, but for some reason, it seems like they don't have a version out for Palm OS. Anyone know if it does exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw
    I see. I think that AIM for Palm was the main reason my old T600 constantly caught in a looping reset. I'd rather use Yahoo anyway. I'll go ahead and buy VeriChat I guess, but I, (like most people) liked the idea of "free". I'd rather use YIM soley, but for some reason, it seems like they don't have a version out for Palm OS. Anyone know if it does exist?
    djraw, I hear you there.

I like free too. Problem is I do not know of a workable free IM client for Palm OS 5 that works. Closest thing is the chatopus which costs $15.00 one time. The Verichat, which I use has an annual subscription since you are using their servers for your IM profile. (what a can of worms huh?)

Anyway, I have been using it for 2 years and generally have been happy. There are adherents to Causerie as well which I hear is quite good. I believe it also has an annual fee. Both Causerie and Verichat offer the feature of Bots which can be very useful. Chatopus is pure IM chat, no bots. Set up is painful to connect up to YIM or AIM but it does work.

Good Luck, in the end, either Verichat or Causerie will be easier to set up and use, hope this helps.
    Gene
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Annual subscriptions suck even worse than having to buy. But if I want it I don't have a choice. Thanks for the info