1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm a long-time Palm user, and bought my first Treo (unlocked GSM) about a week ago. I absolutely love the technology of this thing, but had the constant reset problem. After trying everything I could, I took it back to the retailer yesterday for a replacement and the new one works flawlessly.

A colleague bought the same phone at about the same time and has not had any reset problems. While comparing the two units, we noticed that his 650 and my first one had different silk-screened logos on the 'sound on/off' switch beside the antenna - my second unit has the same as his. Maybe the silk-screening is an indicator of 'good' vs 'bad' units?

The logos on the switch have a speaker on the 'on' side and a crossed speaker on the 'off' side. On the first unit, the 'on' speaker is a solid black shape, and on the second unit, it is just an outline.

Co-incidence or not? Any ideas?
    Someone posted the same theory earlier this week, though if I recall correctly, it was disproven by folks who had had problems with both logo schemes. However, my own experience is the same as yours - original "outline" unit suffered regular HALRadioAcDc.c resets; replacement "solid" unit has not reset yet.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  3.    #3  
    Ok - that blew the theory, as my 'outline' version is the stable one. I also tracked mine down to the HALRadio problem.

I've just responded to another thread about firmware versions - unit1 was 1.04, unit2 is 1.14
    I have a solid black shape speaker and it is producing the HALRadioAcDc.c resets. I'm going to get it replaced on Saturday (I've had it a week, Rogers Wireless in Canada). It is reassuring to know that you have had a good experience with your replacement phone. You last posted on the 19th (the same day I bought my first one). Is your replacement still good?

I should add the info:
    Firmware: 1.15
    Software: Treo650-1.06-ROW
    Hardware: A
    Last edited by jmshedden; 03/25/2005 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Add Firmware version
    Quote Originally Posted by jmshedden
    It is reassuring to know that you have had a good experience with your replacement phone. You last posted on the 19th (the same day I bought my first one). Is your replacement still good?
    Mine's been rock solid. A couple of user-induced crashes as I was futzing around with new apps, but not a single unexplained crash or hang in a week now.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Mine's been rock solid. A couple of user-induced crashes as I was futzing around with new apps, but not a single unexplained crash or hang in a week now.
    So far, my news is good too! I've only been testing for 30 hours, but not one reset or any other problem. It is such a pleasure to use this phone when it is working well, it is a really excellent device.
    hi there! went through quite some units can tell you. first one had SOLID symbol, then the EMPTY symbols, now, the newest replacement, has the SOLID symbol again. they assure that the phone's brand new, well, they replaced theo whole box, not refurb-style only the device ... only time will tell if the SOLID symbol device is as solid as the symbol ...