Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I have an unlocked Treo 650 & a Cingular branded one sitting in front of me ad I noticed that the keyboard on my unlocked one is much whiter, but slightly dimmer than the other phone. I then noticed that while in the car trying to type I had trouble seeing the keys of the unlocked version due to the vibrating. However, when I pulled the Cingular phone out of my bag I had no such trouble. When I got to the house I noticed that when the unlocked phone is moved in front of me my eyes have trouble following any one key...it is hard to describe, but they get a bit blurry. This does not occur with te Cingular phone's keypad. It is slightly brighter, but that is not making the difference. The light is different and I'm able to follow the keypad very easily.

Just so you'll know, I have better than 20/20 in both eyes so I know my vision is not an issue.

Has anyone noticed a similar difference? It may not be related to whether the phone is branded, but I know there is a difference.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I should add that this was in a dark room rather than outside in the daytime!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    This is the one man thread! (I can't edit my previous post since I'm posting from the Treo...laptop is being serviced).

The "problem" is directly related to the fact that the lights on the unlocked phone's keypad have their brightness controlled along with that of the screen. When on full brightness I do not notice this issue at all. When they are dimmed it gets much worse. The other 650s don't seem to have this issue since their keypads do not have brightness control.
    Interesting...I wonder if there's a way to find out if it's a hardware issue, a firmware issue, or both! Anybody know how to figure this out? Anybody have a recently-shipped Sprint T650 for comparison?

Personally, I was hoping that the T650's keyboard could be black/darkblue for the letters and white for the numbers, a la Sprint's T600 keyboard. Subtelty is best!
    LEDs are pretty much just on or off, not much brightness variation, so they're probably varying the apparent brightness by flashing them on and off really fast. Wave a pen over it really fast and see if you see multiple images.

Tom
    I've noticed that too. I have the sprint version and my brother has an unlocked phone. When he came to visit I noticed my keys have a more bluish tint and the unlocked phone has a more purpleish tint. I also did notice the vibrating on the unlocked phone.
    C~Money
    ~Treo 600 ~~> Treo 650 (Sprint PCS)
    ~Sony Ericsson HBH-660 & Jabra EarGel
    ~Vaja i-Volution T-65 (Caterina Steel Gray)
    ~Sandisk 1GB Ultra II Secure Digital SD Card
    ~pa1mOne cradle (w/extra battery)

VetPsychWars, you're right on target. That's how they vary the brightness. I saw it, too. It looks like a monitor when it flickers. Didn't bother me at all. Pretty clever, I thought--and if it's done via software, there's hope the branded treos can get the update, too.

Todd/Indy
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Since you can't connect a LED directly to a power source(LED's voltage drop 0.6-0.7v so you need a resistor in series), varying the value of this resistor will change the brightness of the LED(more or less current going to the LED). It's not simply on/off as you stated.
    What I noticed on the keyboard is that if the backllight is pretty low intensity, the keys have a bright white border around them. The border is visibile also on highest intensity, but much less noticeable. What I suspect is that that border irritates the eye, and so makes it more difficult to read the keyboard when the Treo is vibrating.
    Has anybody here purchased a T650 after Sprint & P1 announced the NVFS update? If so, how are the keypads? I know it's a hardware issue than a software issue, but ya never know if P1 keeps tweaking the T650 HW...
    This is my experience. I updated my ATT locked phone to the new leaked firmware available on this forums.
    Before the update the keyboard light will stay at a fixed brightness (the brightest) regardless of the screen being at the lowest possible brightnes.
    Now, after the update, the lights on the keyboard dim at about the same rate that the screen.

So, from there we know it's a software controlled feature. We can hope that PalmOne include this deature in future "official" ROM updates.

<8=
    Quote Originally Posted by TRoN
    Since you can't connect a LED directly to a power source(LED's voltage drop 0.6-0.7v so you need a resistor in series), varying the value of this resistor will change the brightness of the LED(more or less current going to the LED). It's not simply on/off as you stated.
    Yes, but I can also see that being difficult to control. If you look at LED's that are dimmed in most applications in the world, you will find that they are not dimmed, but flashed on/off very quickly. To change the perceived brightness, you just change the duration of on vs. off. While I haven't seen a dimmed Treo keyboard in person yet, I'd be willing to bet money that it's dimmed by flashing the LED's. Think about it - you could implement this in the firmware without having to add an elaborate variable current controller - just flicker the whole circuit on and off.

-Clint
    The treo backlight has a refresh rate just like a computer monitor. What you are seeing is a lower refresh rate, probably caused by a update! I have Sprint and updated to 1.12. I see exactly what you are talking about. Mine started with the 1.12 update.

Hope it helps!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    nope this guy is right. There are two different types of keypads (or different leds used). My girl friend has a unbranded cingular treo, while i have a sprint version. You can tell that hers definately shines better then mine. She always teases me about that.