1.    #1  
    I have Cingular MEdia Net Unlimited service that works very well with my Treo 650. I will be traveling in northern Europe soon. Does anyone know if I can access my POP3 email while there using the same service? Also, there is a $1.29/min. roaming chage for voice service. Is there a separate charge for email access? I can't seem to get a consistent answer from Cingular CS reps.
    Last edited by paulmj; 03/18/2005 at 06:35 PM.
    I just returned from a week in Italy and used my Treo many times each day for email. My bill did not show any charges for data, only incoming/outgoing voice calls. this also included a few txt messages.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. That answers it for me.
    Ouch! I will bet you can't get GPRS service with your Cingular card roaming in Europe.
    If your voice roaming charges are $1.29 per MINUTE, I can only imagine what they might charge if they did allow GPRS.

Your best bet is to buy a Pay-As-You-Go SIM card at a local cell phone store when you get there. Then you will pay 10-20c per minute instead. If you want to check your email, go spend a euro or two in an internet cafe and get webmail.

650Now - what provider were you using in Italy? What showed up on your screen when you detected the network? Did you get an indication that you were really using GPRS or did your phone fall back to dialin? (Cingular is set to fall back to dial in if the GPRS service doesn't connect)
    I found a link on the cingular site that explains their international roaming charges pretty well. Now I remember why I went with the local SIM card too! The local card charges were 20c per minute voice and 10c per text sent... 0c per text recieved. I never could get GPRS service going with my Vodaphone Ready-to-go card though...

http://www.cingular.com/customer_ser...we/0,,,00.html

$1.29 per minute for voice roaming in Western Europe. And they quote data rates as well:

When traveling the world, data services are available too!

* Stay connected to the Internet, Email and your critical files. When you travel outside the U.S., all GPRS usage is just $.0195/kb.
    * Send a text message when traveling outside the U.S. for 50 per message and receive one for 10/message.
    * Send a multimedia (photo) message for $1.30/message or receive one for $.25/message.
    * If you subscribe to a Text/Instant Messaging or Multimedia package (or a MEdia bundle), receiving a text or multimedia message will be applied to your monthly package.
    I had a choice of two provider's networks in Italy, TIM and Vodaphone. In a suburb of Milano, I could not get GPRS service w/TIM. I did get GPRS by switching to Vodaphone and it was very reliable thereafter. Also, I got Cingulars International Roaming option and calls were $.99/minute, not $1.29. I used the phone whenever I needed to (only 13 calls), and was billed $79. All in all, this was a good experience. BTW, my Treo is unlocked, but the advantages of using a local sim are mainly for local calls, and I did not make many, I don't think it would have helped for calls to/from the states. Also, I had been told the taxes on calls there were going to be outrageous...they were not.
  7.    #7  
    Is there anything I need to know to switch from the first provider that is assigned to another one that is available? I assume it is done via Preferences / Network on the Treo. Do you just change to whomever else is there and see if the email works? Any special codes I need to know?
  8.    #8  
    I had a good conversation with someone knowledgeable at Cingular CS. GPRS access when roaming internationally costs 2 cents/KB. The foreign carrier must have GPRS capability. I had him check the four countries we will be visiting: UK, Ireland, Norway, France & Denmark. There are several carriers in each country, and except for Ireland, all have GPRS capability.

He offered to unlock my Treo 650, so I could get a local SIM chip wherever we will be. However I declined because I expect to make few if any voice calls when traveling there. The email suits me fine for what I need.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmj
    Is there anything I need to know to switch from the first provider that is assigned to another one that is available? I assume it is done via Preferences / Network on the Treo. Do you just change to whomever else is there and see if the email works? Any special codes I need to know?
    Nothing special. It should let you switch between any of the carriers that Cingular has a roaming agreement with.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!