Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Archie, my T650 works great. I used to get random soft resets, but since I hard reset I have only had 1 reset in a week.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    The Treo 650 has been out for 5 months... and then last week Palm was trumpeting "the new firmware is here, the new firmware is here!!!!????

THIS is the new firmware?... that they spent 5 months on.
    Ooo am I glad I stayed away from the 650.

If I had a 650, I would want to look PalmOne straight in the eye and I would want to tell them what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-a$$, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey sh!t they are!
    Hallelujah!
    Holy sh!t!
    Where's the Tylenol?

Palm one trumpeted nothing, you even have quotes in your post. Treocentral reported a rumor of a sprint update from an UNCONFIRMED source. Hardly "trumpeting" by palmone.
    HERE

I wonder what else is hidden in it...

i

BTW...I know this is sort of a duplicate post...I just thought the title was more accurate.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by imott

BTW...I know this is sort of a duplicate post...I just thought the title was more accurate.

not rally...mods can we merge all the thread on this update? that's what was done for the the 600 updates threads in the past. We probably don't need four of them.
    < merged >
    I just updated my firmware - no problems, everything came back, it appears, and so far it all seems to work.

I'm now at 1.04.

I also have recovered a considerable amount of memory - I was at 10.1 MB free (I think, it was right around there, anyway), and now am at 13.7 MB free (47 applications) and more free RAM as well - 9314 KB (free largest chunk as reported by "Memory Info."

Of course, both of these may change over time, I suppose, and it takes an occasional soft reset to keep the high RAM number, as expected.

Gee, I wish I had done a hard rest and restore before this so I could compare the results. Who knew I would get such a dramatic change for the better?

I'd like to ask others to report there results and, if willing, to do a hard rest/restore so a better before and after comparison may be done.
    I have an ATTWS/Cingular Treo 650 with no problem with the voice mail. However my firmware is Treo650-1.02-CNB. My phone is also "locked". Should I attempt to update the firmware? I have no problems with my phone and am not sure this is a good idea since it seems to be addressing an issue I do not have.
    Should I do it?

My phone has no problems, although it is Treo650-1.02-CNB.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    Should I do it?

My phone has no problems, although it is Treo650-1.02-CNB.
    My usual is...If I have to ask...It usually it...

Just remember it's there if you want to take a chance.
    txschafers--go for it. According to palm one:
    You should install this update if:

You originally purchased your Treo 650 smartphone from Cingular Wireless.
    The Software version number in Phone Info is less than Treo650-1.04-CNG or Treo650-1.04-CNB.

Besides I have the same software version and that way I can see what happens to you! :}
    Took the leap and it works fine. No problems. Took about 10 minutes to do the whole thing. My Firmware is now 1.05 and software is Treo650-1.04-CNB
    Outstanding! I'll follow your lead in AM. Might even do a hard reset first to try and clean this thing up as much as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    The Treo 650 has been out for 5 months... and then last week Palm was trumpeting "the new firmware is here, the new firmware is here!!!!????
    To my recollection , the Cingular 650 has been out for about 6 weeks. This is a CINGULAR update to address isssues on Cingular phones.
    Well I just got done doing the upgrade, after about 3 hours of work. Firmware update went fine but the subsequent HotSync somehow went awry and I wound up with a continual reset loop that nothing but a hard reset would resolve. Next HotSync resulted in restoring all my contacts and "standard" palm apps but no 3rd party apps were there.

Odd part was that immediately prior to the start of the reset loop, when I glanced at the acreen, HotSync Manager was installing things that BackUpBuddy was uninstalling.

So I did it right, deleted all of backup buddy's archives installed everything "by hand". Coulda done it faster but I did 1 program per HotSync so as to let Uninstall manager track things properly. Picked up a few MB of internal memory (13.4 -> 16.5) but I have 1 or 2 more programs now and added a few more db's for Metro and TideTool.

SD card was hosed requiring some fancy footwork with PowerRun to delete apps. usually if I reinstall a program that was moved to the card I can just copy the new one in memory and it will overwrite the card. No go with the 15 or so apps that were there. Had to recheck all shortcuts, delete files, recheck all shortcust, delete folder, recheck all shortcuts, delete files to get card empty...and then things moved over fine.

I gotta say one thing, this bugger seems is AT LEAST 3 TIMES AS FAST AS IT WAS BEFORE. Even PoweRun launch times from the card are 1/3 of what tey were with Voice Dial for example going from 12 to 4 seconds. At 12 seconds, I had VD on memory, I could easily pop it over to the card now and get free memory to 18...more if I moved some others that don't "neeed" to be in memory all the time.
    I also had a problem on reset. The culprit for me was a program called "Linkstart" that allows you to run programs directly from an SD card. DELETE LINKSTART FROM YOUR TREO 650 BEFORE YOU DO THE UPGRADE!!!

Otherwise it went fine.
    I had no problem at all. I got about 2mb back in space and my Treo does seem to be running a little faster. Not one reset in last 12 hours but I rarely ever got one anyway. SD card has everything on it and BT is running just fine with my M3000.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Palm one trumpeted nothing, you even have quotes in your post. Treocentral reported a rumor of a sprint update from an UNCONFIRMED source. Hardly "trumpeting" by palmone.
    But you said...

Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    the method for the the shadowmite roms is not the method for official upgrades.

The upgrade will be posted at www.palmone.com/us/support

Kevin Michaels of palmone has confirmed that in these boards. The update will be a palm application that is run on the device with no need for an sd card that will flash the rom.
    The only thing I'm quoting is you.

Anyway, my point is that the 650 just plain sucks because it barely passes as a useable device, being so crippled with all the bugs. I just find it amazing that Palm won't do anything about it despite my repeated writings and the return of the phone. I'm not angry at you, I'm angry at Palm for not giving a crap about the users of the phone. It could be such a good device, but they just screwed it up.
  18.    #38  
    Once again...palmone trumpeted nothing. Kevin Michaels confirmed nothing. He just pointed to where to look for an update should one occur.

I'm a trumpet player, I would know. Not trying to get in a p!ssing contest. Have a good day
  19.    #39  
    and I do agree with your points.
    I think the updater needed a bit more testing. When I installed it, the first time I rebooted the phone didn't work, so I did a hard reset and it got into a reset loop.

I ended up leaving the battery out for about 15 minutes, putting it back in, and doing another hard reset. (In the meantime I was on the phone with Cingular to get a replacement.) After all this, it worked fine and the Phone Info page reported the update had completed successfully, although I had some trouble getting all my software back on the phone.

I suspect Chatter or Causerie might have caused at least part of these problems by trying to initialize the phone during the upgrade process.

So I offer the following pieces of advice: If you have reset-loop problems after the upgrade, pull the battery, wait for a bit, and do a hard reset again.

At least it's all working again.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast