1.    #1  
    Yes, it's true and aside from the baby that we're expecting next month, this is the 2nd proudest moment of my life. I know it may not be as exciting to everyone else, but here's the long winded story...

I must've talked to at least 15 Cingular reps over the past month that I've been using Cingular about unlocking my phone. Each time, I told them I was going to Taiwan "next month" and that I wanted to unlock my phone so I can use the country's local SIM card. I have to give them credit in that they were almost always consistent in telling me that it was up to P1 to unlock the phone. Granted, they were consistently wrong, but I didn't want to fight a battle that wasn't leading anywhere. The other message I got was that I had no choice but to use Cingular's international plan and that's it.

(side story)...A few days ago, I got a pamphlet from Cingular welcoming me to their roadside assistance program. The pamphlet said my first 2 months would be free and then $2.99/month after that unless i called to cancel. I flipped...I never signed up for this and I have a real problem with stuff getting added to my account without my permission. So I called Cingular customer service and they told me that there was no record of me being a roadside assistance member, but I still get the feeling I'll see a charge in a couple months.

(back to the proud moment)....so while I'm on the phone with the person, I told him I was going to Taiwan "next month" and wanted to unlock the phone. He said "You know, I head someone talking about this before...let me check" Sure enough, he gets back on the line and starts filling out a request for me to have my phone unlocked. He then tells me I'll get a call within 5 business days with the code. Well, a few hours later, I have a voice mail waiting for me that had the code. I looked up the discussion threads about how to enter the code, and WAM...the screen tells my my phone is unlocked. I even took my wife's SIM card out of her phone and put it in mine to make sure...and it was a go.

So the moral of this (boring) story is that persistence is key. You'll talk to several CS reps at Cingular who have no idea what you're talking about and won't take the time to research it for you...but eventually you'll find the diamond in the rough who heard about someone unlocking a phone and actually does some digging.

Good luck to everyone...pardon me while I take a shot of my celebratory Fragolino.
    Is your wife on Cingular too? If so, that's not a real good test
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #3  
    Good point...yeah, she's on Cingular. So all I have as proof is the screen that popped up on my phone saying that it was now unlocked immediately after I punched in the code.
    GSM Carriers usuall disclose the unlocking code for your phone after certain period. That is to recover their initial investment on the phone equipment. I'm not certain about Cingular, but T-Mobile let me have the code after 9 months with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bestoverall
    GSM Carriers usuall disclose the unlocking code for your phone after certain period. That is to recover their initial investment on the phone equipment. I'm not certain about Cingular, but T-Mobile let me have the code after 9 months with them.
    It has been posted on TC several times that Cingular has a 90 day waiting period. It has also been reported that this 90 day period has been waived for a few persistant people already.
    The 90 days waiting period does not apply if you paid full price. They'll ask you to fax them the reciept and you'll get your code within a few days (they say they'll call you back or email you the code but they never did, I had to call them back and ask for it)
    TreoDaddy, So what is the code? Please do share it.
    isn't it unique to every phone? similar to the msl
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Indeed. TreoEntertainer: did you read the first post in this sticky thread?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Oops. I was unaware of the original. Thanks. Now I'm on track. Good info too. I'm going to call Cust. Serv. and become arrogant to get my Unlock code.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoEntertainer
    Oops. I was unaware of the original. Thanks. Now I'm on track. Good info too. I'm going to call Cust. Serv. and become arrogant to get my Unlock code.
    good plan