Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got my Treo 650 from Sprint last night, and I'm loving it. A huge upgrade to my 270. Though I got some conflicting data. The guy at the Sprint store said to charge the battery back up, but when it reaches 100%, to unplug it from the charger. The handbook, however, said to charge it overnight.

Who is right? Does anyone have any bad stories about battery life going to hell due to overnight charging?

Thanks in advance.
    Trust your manual, not a sales rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowza
    Trust your manual, not a sales rep.
    Exactly! I leave mine on the charger overnight every night.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    ignore rep....keep it plugged in.
    Great info, thanks!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    You should keep it plugged in AT ALL TIMES! I carry an APC 1000VA UPS with me so I can keep my Treo 650 charging all the time. I get GREAT battery life, but I'm teathered to a wall or a 50 LB battery
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    And remember: With the Treo 650, even if you kill your battery, you can always get a new one!

--Bill
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tm4000m
    You should keep it plugged in AT ALL TIMES! I carry an APC 1000VA UPS with me so I can keep my Treo 650 charging all the time. I get GREAT battery life, but I'm teathered to a wall or a 50 LB battery
    ROTLF
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    i charge it everynight...it cuddles with my MX1000 laser mouse...and my Sandisk Imagemate 12-1
    My 650 is plugged into my custom cradle whenever I'm in the car or at home. No problems so far and my battery is always topped off. Who needs a second battery?
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for everybody's input. It'll happily stay plugged in.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdeckard
    I read the article above. I am still a bit confused on if would be better to charge every night or every other night. I have been shooting for every other night with the thought that I can usually make it two days and end up around 20-30%. With the quote that battery has a charge life of 300-500 charge cycles, once a day may only be one year of use. Every other day would ?double that.... I does warn against full discharge but I am not sure 20-30% would be considered full discharge.. thoughts?
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Do it yourself homebrew battery charger
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=78259
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    RTFM!

Charge it whenever you can. The less you let the battery drain, the longer it will last. And you won't risk running out of battery late on that 2nd day.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru
    With the quote that battery has a charge life of 300-500 charge cycles, once a day may only be one year of use. Every other day would ?double that
    One of us misunderstands the meaning of a "charge cycle". My understanding is that a charge cycle is when the sum of the discharges totals 100% of the battery capacity, ie 5 discharges to 80% = 4 discharges to 75% and = 2 discharges to 50% = 1 charge cycle. At least, that's the way IBM describes it in their Thinkpad battery literature.

Which means that there is no advantage to be gained in letting it drain before recharging - it's not the number of times you charge it that matters, but the number of times its total capacity is used.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Check the P1 support site at this link

Pick any of the topics under How Do I...

A new window will open with the topic you picked...from within this window...look at the top drop down list. You will find

"How do I maximize battery life" pick this and you will se that P1 recommends charging overnight every night and topping off whenever your charger is near.

Hope this helps.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    So, if one were to leave the treo on charge (like in a cradle) while you're using it, the battery does not discharge and it's life is prolonged?

Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    One of us misunderstands the meaning of a "charge cycle". My understanding is that a charge cycle is when the sum of the discharges totals 100% of the battery capacity, ie 5 discharges to 80% = 4 discharges to 75% and = 2 discharges to 50% = 1 charge cycle. At least, that's the way IBM describes it in their Thinkpad battery literature.

Which means that there is no advantage to be gained in letting it drain before recharging - it's not the number of times you charge it that matters, but the number of times its total capacity is used.
    I believe so, within reason. Again, IBM recommends letting it partially discharge once a month or so. (Though that may just be a ploy to make sure that everyone has to buy a new battery eventually!)
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Cool! That's why I never had battery problems with the 600. It's always plugged into my custom cradle whenever I'm in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    I believe so, within reason. Again, IBM recommends letting it partially discharge once a month or so. (Though that may just be a ploy to make sure that everyone has to buy a new battery eventually!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast