Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    batteries don't "charge all night" so it doesn't matter if you leave it plugged in. It reaches a pre-determied state of charge and stops so as to not over charge.
    I also keep it pluged in overnight, but, in addition, I've purchased a cradle and keep it plugged in at my desk. I find my IM program (Verichat), which is on all day, and my e-mail program (Snapper Mail) are quite power hungary. I've had no issues to speak of.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    One of us misunderstands the meaning of a "charge cycle". My understanding is that a charge cycle is when the sum of the discharges totals 100% of the battery capacity, ie 5 discharges to 80% = 4 discharges to 75% and = 2 discharges to 50% = 1 charge cycle. At least, that's the way IBM describes it in their Thinkpad battery literature.
    It seems jetkins, thankfully, that you are correct. I found a similar explanation in Apples iPod literature
    http://www.apple.com.au/batteries/

Which means that there is no advantage to be gained in letting it drain before recharging - it's not the number of times you charge it that matters, but the number of times its total capacity is used.
    However, dispite some who have urged me to RTFM The BatteryLink below *does* mention that NiMH batteries *do* have a memory effect (as jetkins eluded to..) and should receive a full discharge every 3 months . (or 30 discharge cycles as mentioned http://www.powerstream.com/BatteryFAQ.html#nmh)

[Edit:] Was pointed out to me link above is for NiMH and Treo has LiON batteries. LiON, also, need discharge cycle every ~30 cycles for longest life.
    Last edited by Hotoru; 03/19/2005 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Clarified information
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Since the Treo has a lithium ion battery, info for nickel metal hydride is not relevant.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    Since the Treo has a lithium ion battery, info for nickel metal hydride is not relevant.

Tom
    Exactly. Something he would have picked up if he had RTFM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    Tom
    sigh.. Sorry about the misdirection. And thanks to those who so helpfully reminded me of my error I did post a link for NiMH batteries. However, that does not change my point. The link posted earlier recommends similar treatment for full discharge every 30 cycles for Lithium Ion Batteries.
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
    Last edited by Hotoru; 03/19/2005 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Forgot Link
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    The only reason to try to dischage a modern Li Ion battery is to (re)calibrate the battery guage. A full discharge only shortens the battery life, so do this once when the unit is new and maybe afterwards only if the guage is starting to read inaccurately (maybe once or twice a year at most in many cases).
    Quote Originally Posted by paris

"How do I maximize battery life" pick this and you will se that P1 recommends charging overnight every night and topping off whenever your charger is near.
    I tend to do the latter, but not recharge overnight, is this a bad thing? I rarely get to 100% charged, but never run out of juice.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12