Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got my 650 GSM Unlocked a few days ago and I am having a little bit of an issue. I seem to have to hit the power (or phone, cal, email) button twice to get the device to turn on. (followed, of course, by the center 5-way button to turn off keyguard)

Is this normal behavior?

I have reset a few times, conetmplating a full reset and restore from backup (with indiv. install for my apps)

any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    It seems normal. I've noticed it happens especially when the screens turns off automatically. You have to wait about 5-10 seconds before turning it back on. Sometimes it doesn't turn on when the processor is busy doing something. I've started to live with it.

Joe
    I am resigned to viewing this behavior as a "feature" instead of a problem (that just makes me feel better). I figure pressing twice will prevent my 650 from inadvertently turning on from the random key being pressed.
    So is this a GSM phone thing? My Sprint turns right on -unless I have just turned it off, and go to turn it right back on. If i do that, I need to wait about 2 seconds, or push twice.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    So is this a GSM phone thing? My Sprint turns right on -unless I have just turned it off, and go to turn it right back on. If i do that, I need to wait about 2 seconds, or push twice.
    I have a Sprint 650 and mine exhibits the double-press behavior. It's not consitent, maybe 80% of the time. I don't remember it always being this way and I've had my device since the 650 first came out. The buttons respond fine otherwise so I don't think anything is wearing out. It's kind of odd.
    It's not normal, it shouldn't be happening, (I'm sure some TC users will claim they like it better just like all the other T650 bugs )maybe the rumored firmware upgrade will address it...
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I have a Sprint 650 and mine exhibits the double-press behavior. It's not consitent, maybe 80% of the time. I don't remember it always being this way and I've had my device since the 650 first came out. The buttons respond fine otherwise so I don't think anything is wearing out. It's kind of odd.
    Wow...well, I've had mine since a little before X-Mas, and no problems. Does it do that with all four buttons?

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    My unlocked GSM does it as well.

I thought I think I have it figured out?? It seems like the power button is supposed to be held down, not pushed like the 600.
    The thing that I've noticed, is when I have bluetooth turned on, it takes two button presses to turn on. When I have bluetooth turned off, it only takes one. This happens to mine and my friends the same way every time.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I have the Sprint version and was experiencing this quite regularly. It has since subsided and the only change I made was turning off BT, I use to leave it on for my headset but now I activate it when needed.
    I've noticed that my phone does this (takes a few seconds for the screen to come back on) when bluetooth is turned on. Otherwise I rarely have the problem. Since I usually leave bluetooth off, except for when syncing, it doesn't bother me much.

I also noticed that if I applied shadowmite's DUN patch that it happened a lot more frequently. (I gave up on the patch and bought PDANet)
    I've experienced the same behavior. The 650 is an odd beast. Lots of little bugs that are annoying, but it still basically gets the job done. I hope this update fixes some of this junk. Shave a few of these annoyances off this thing and I might not feel so bad about the $600 phone I have that reboots when I get phone calls.

Anyone ever in that situation where you pull your phone out to answer a call while you're with a friend and it reboots. Your friend just looks at you and says "$600 phone, eh?" Uggh.

Mike
    Ugh. Unfortunately, but only once. I installed the "Crash" application, and was surprised to check the logs and discover it had done a soft reset in the middle of the night on a couple of occassions. (I wouldn't even have known otherwise).

Anyone ever in that situation where you pull your phone out to answer a call while you're with a friend and it reboots. Your friend just looks at you and says "$600 phone, eh?" Uggh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    This is exactly my case too (also Sprint) and the situation I've seen the need for a double press. I believe the same thing happened on my 600, but that's getting foggier by the day.

Note the timing has to be perfect for it to happen at all. Turn it off, wait ~2 seconds, turn it back on - 1 press. Anything less than ~2 secs - 2 presses.

It's almost like turning the screen off sends the hardware into a "sleep" mode and it just takes a little longer to let it finish that operation before bringing it back to life. Since I don't know the hardware implementation details, this is definitely more guess than fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    It's almost like turning the screen off sends the hardware into a "sleep" mode and it just takes a little longer to let it finish that operation before bringing it back to life. Since I don't know the hardware implementation details, this is definitely more guess than fact.
    That would be my guess. My Toshiba e755 Pocket PC is the same way. Have to wait a second or two before i can turn it back on. Still doesn't explain why others have this happen when just trying to turn it on from scratch.

Unless their problem is actually a hardware problem with the button not consistently making solid contact with the membrane underneath. As long as we're guessing, that would also explain the randomness but I'd expect that to be equally random for CDMA and GSM units. Can't tell from this thread exactly who is on what.
    I had this same problem with my unlocked GSM, it also caused the usual action of double pressing thew call button to make the call log menu dissapear? To fix this I downloaded a file I believe it was called btnfix.zip that was posted here in the forums...I believe it might have been made by the developer of takephone...it resets you buttons after programs like datebk5 and agendus takes them over.

* I searched and found the link to it http://www.shsh.com/downloads/btnfix.zip
    Unless their problem is actually a hardware problem with the button not consistently making solid contact with the membrane underneath. As long as we're guessing, that would also explain the randomness but I'd expect that to be equally random for CDMA and GSM units. Can't tell from this thread exactly who is on what.
    Perhaps. There is the soft "P" issue. I suppose there could be an issue with the other keys as well. Seems (from this thread at least) to be mainly GSM phones, but MarkY has a CDMA phone...

There are a couple of threads on this, but no concrete answers from what i've gathered. SPCS 650, and mine displays this behaviour...
    Like nixoloco above and many other users, this behaviour turns up most often when bluetooth is turned on. I've found also that running both with bluetooth off and most of my extensions off, that I don't see the two-press at all. Seems to me that there's some amount of button-press trapping that's getting in the way of waking up sometimes. (My guess is that it's indirect and something trapping on option-button or press&hold combos is interfering with the wake-up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast