1.    #1  
    hi Y'all,

I am looking for a way to sync podcasts to my Treo's SD card for playback through pTunes. I would really like something that would work about like how the auto-update playlist works for the iPod. This issue would be the same for auto-syncing any playlist from iTunes to the Treo. So what I want is: when I hotsync the Treo I want the contents of a particular playlist in iTunes to be automatically synced to a folder on my SD card in my Treo.

Does anybody have any ideas about how to do this?

Would Missing Sync be able to do something like this? I notice on Mark/Space's website that M/S includes an iTunes plug-in. I assume this means that the Treo's SD card shows up in the sidebar in iTunes; is this correct? If this is so, could one write an Applescript that would automatically sync the contents of a playlist to that plug-in (i.e. copy new tracks and delete any old tracks)? Does anybody know if Missing Sync itself is Applescriptable? This would be important to activate the iTunes Applescript when hotsyncing. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? BTW, I'm a complete newbie to Applescript, but this seems like this is something it would be worth learning it for.

Thanks,
    --Mathew
    I've been using Missing Sync to copy podcasts to my SD card. You are right - the card shows up in Itunes and you drag songs or podcasts to the card. I just do it from the desk top. I've found Missing Sync to be far more reliable than Card Export II for mounting the SD card.

All that said - I have not found a way to automate this in the way you suggest. I make it work, but it's a completely manual effort.

If MarkSpace or someone else could duplicate the integration of the Ipod/Itunes with a Treo, that would be remarkable and worth paying for.
    Here are the AppleScript dictionary items from The Missing Sync:

Class application:
    Plural form:
    applications
    Elements:
    window by name, by numeric index, before/after another element, as a range of elements, satisfying a test, by ID
    document by name, by numeric index, before/after another element, as a range of elements, satisfying a test
    Properties:
    <Inheritance> application [r/o] -- All of the properties of the superclass.
    list of cards list [r/o] -- The names of the available cards.
    current profile Unicode text -- The name of the current profile
    current handheld Unicode text -- The name of the current handheld
    path to install files Unicode text [r/o] -- The path where files are stored to be installed for the current user.
    profiles list [r/o] -- An array of all the profiles
    mode synchronize/share/nothing -- The current mode
    handhelds list [r/o] -- An array of all the handhelds

I probably won't be trying any AppleScript until Automater is released with Tiger but if someone else has the inclination, I think something can be done to pull this off.
    Last edited by archie; 03/22/2005 at 11:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewlu
    I am looking for a way to sync podcasts to my Treo's SD card for playback through pTunes. I would really like something that would work about like how the auto-update playlist works for the iPod. This issue would be the same for auto-syncing any playlist from iTunes to the Treo. So what I want is: when I hotsync the Treo I want the contents of a particular playlist in iTunes to be automatically synced to a folder on my SD card in my Treo.

Does anybody have any ideas about how to do this?
    Actually that's an interesting remark -- I'm collecting requests for the next major revision of Sync Buddy (for those who missed it, I just released 2.0.1 for Mac OS X). Right now you can copy your files in a snap to the SD card in Sync Buddy, but having them automagically sync when you connect the handheld would he a plus.

Florent
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by fpillet
    Actually that's an interesting remark -- I'm collecting requests for the next major revision of Sync Buddy (for those who missed it, I just released 2.0.1 for Mac OS X). Right now you can copy your files in a snap to the SD card in Sync Buddy, but having them automagically sync when you connect the handheld would he a plus.

Florent
    Florent,

With something like this implemented you could market your product as a kind of iPod shuffle replacement/alternative. I've been thinking about getting a shuffle just for this, but I'd much rather use my Treo (since I always have it with me anyway). I noticed Sync Buddy when it came out, but I don't really have as much need for an iPhoto sync as for an iTunes sync. I'd be willing to pay for something like this.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    I actually use QuickNews to grab my PodCasts. It uses a lot of bandwith, but I have an unlimited internet package. It works pretty well.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    I actually use QuickNews to grab my PodCasts. It uses a lot of bandwith, but I have an unlimited internet package. It works pretty well.

TheHandlessKing
    I tried that, but I think it's just too SLOW...

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Well, the nice thing about owning an unlocked Treo while using T-Mobile in CA is that you are able to use Cingular's EDGE network without paying extra. I can download an approx. 1 MB PodCast within a few seconds off KCRW's feed.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot: