1.    #1  
    Anyone know a good app to record phone calls? I know one can use mvoice, but you need to be on speakerphone to hear both sides of phone call.

I would like an app that can record through my bluetooth headset. Any ideas?
    thanks
    there are none. you must use a voice recording app with the call on speakerphone.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    What a silly limitation of the Treo. This seems rather basic.
    Quote Originally Posted by trellus
    What a silly limitation of the Treo. This seems rather basic.
    really, does any other device have this capability, basic or otherwise?
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I moved to the Treo 650 from a Sony Ericsson K700i, and the ability to record phone calls was a very useful feature on the K700i that I sorely miss on the Treo.
    I had a samsung i300 before my treo and could record the callers conversation only, but this too was very helpful. i.e. people giving me directions on the phone, I would just record it, or if someone was giving me a conformation code, etc.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Of course no phone has every desirable feature, and I wouldn't give up my Treo 650 for any other phone because I think the 650 is the best smartphone available with a wealth of third-party enhancements available, but I think it's rather curious that "lesser" phones have this feature, and presumably, it is not even technically feasible except via speakerphone, on the Treo. If I am wrong about the technical aspect, I am happily so, but I just assumed that since a third-party app exposes this feature but only via speakerphone that there must be some technical barrier or at least hardship that makes it impossible (or at least difficult) to record non-speakerphone conversations.
    sorry for my ignorance...I didn't know this feature was available on other devices.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I think my old Sony Ericsson Z600 also had this feature, but it was of very limited utility as recording time was rather limited, as I recall. I don't know, but suspect that this is the case with other non-smartphones at least on account of severly limited memory.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    The Treo limitation stems from the lack of a "channel" (for lack of a better term) to pipe the audio from the phone function into the recorder at the hardware or software level.

The reason recording apps (such as Audacity) work in speakerphone mode is simply because the Treo microphone can hear and record the audio emitting from the speaker in the back of the unit.

I would guess this function was omitted in part due to possible liability issues. Recording conversations gets somewhat dicey in certain situations.

The ability to record would come in handy when my ex launches into one of her hateful tirades...but I do enjoy the satisfaction it brings me to just hang up. LOL "What? I can't hear you..you're breaking up..." Click.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I suspected as much that there was a technical barrier; I suppose it might a liability issue, but then perhaps Sony Ericsson's lawyers thought it less of a problem than palmOne's?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trellus
    I suspected as much that there was a technical barrier; I suppose it might a liability issue, but then perhaps Sony Ericsson's lawyers thought it less of a problem than palmOne's?
    Yes. My experience with Asian manufacturers is such that I would believe they would regard liability issues to a lesser extent.

That said, Liability may only be part or none of the cause. Like you said, it could be exclusively technical in nature.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
  13.    #13  
    Well using my bluetooth hs810 headset and MVOICE, i am able to record both sides of the conversation. I guess I am getting the other parties voice through leakage of sound from the ear piece to the microphone on the bluetooth headset. Anyone else get similar results?
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I have had atleast three different phones, from three different manufacturers, that have recorded phone conversations. By the way this dates all the way back to 1998 and the limitation back then used to be the very limited memory available. Thus, If you ask me it is actually embarassing to have all this technology in our hands and not be able to put it to some basic use, such as recording a phone conversation and not have to take notes while on the phone, specially while driving. Someone at PalmOne really needs to get out and see what the competition has been offering for years, it seems that they continue to live in a hole looking inwards only.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad